A Joke.

A Joke.

A Story by L.E.Osborne
"

My first upload. Just a short piece I literally just came up with. Please share your thoughts and comment I'd really appreciate it x

"
It was a day unlike any other. The air was bitter and cloudy, like the first lemonade we'd ever made. I knew it was coming. Although I don't know if he knew I knew. I did. You could taste it on his face. The tension. It was palpable. Had been for years. Hanging over us always the threat of leaving. Never mattered who, me, him, the cat because it hadn't happened. Until now. I wondered if I should try to fight, try to somehow stop him. I'd told him lies in the past, a way of changing his already confused mind. This time he saw clearly. Every toxic lie that passed my lips like a wish I knew could only be used once. 'I'll miss you' that was the first lie. 'The kids need you around' that one was partially true, they needed one parent who hadn't given up yet. He wanted things to change and I promised him that. My biggest lie to date. So as I watched him pack up his things, I recounted all our lies in my head. The first day he met me he lied. Told me he could make me laugh. He couldn't and I think we both knew he'd spend the next five years trying. A house, a marriage, 2 kids, a cat and a suitcase later I cracked. Started laughing hysterically, tears brimming you know real insane laughter. You see I'd been holding it in. Our whole life together had been the opening of the joke and his leaving well, this was the punch line.

© 2015 L.E.Osborne


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews



........ emotionally charged yet with a distinctly ragged and real feel .. a powerful short story that once started, just had to be finished ..

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

L.E.Osborne

3 Years Ago

Thank you so much. I had forgotten about this one glad you enjoyed! x
The end really wraps it up in a bow for me. I loved the honesty of the story. I especially enjoyed the last paragraph. The irony at the end is a hard hitting punch line.

Posted 9 Years Ago


L.E.Osborne

9 Years Ago

Thank you :)
THis is kind of good. It doesn't tell a story exactly, but gives the reader something to think about.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

L.E.Osborne

9 Years Ago

Thank you that was my intention.
Hello L.E.Osborne,

I generally dont prefer short stories but I must say, this one caught my eye. Full of emotion, wonderful writing style, and I like the overall 'mystique' (I guess,) of it all. I'll definitely be checking out more of your prose in the ever-so-near future.

Shogun

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 11, 2014
Last Updated on July 7, 2015
Tags: Heartache, Relationships

Author

L.E.Osborne
L.E.Osborne

Manchester, Lancashire, United Kingdom



About
I just want to write and read. more..

Writing