Two Truths and a Die

Two Truths and a Die

A Story by S.E Attebery
"

In comes Thomas Donny, private detective. A young doll walks in, says she is Jasmine and she saw a murder. Follow a story of murder, love, and a kick a*s detective

"

Two Truths and Die

by: Sammie E Attebery













































dedicated to

Lori Brigden- for giving me the writing assignment for this

Paul Attebery

Dawn Attebery












































Log 20: A beautiful red head doll walked into my office. She was wearing a shiny black dress and a scared look on her face. She said “I saw a murder and I need your help Mr. Donny” and handed me a two year old cigar mint 1958. She said “he was a regular but that night he seemed strange he was saying he was being fallowed. We went outside to talk and a black roadster ran strait past us and when I turned to ask what was that, then I saw it. His dead lifeless body lying there with a knife in his back, I need your help.”

She said her name was Jasmine, she put a card on my desk and left me alone in my small and bleak office. I walked to the local diner on Broadway St. I walked in and I was greeted by the cashier “hello detective”. I said “hello” and sat down at the bar. The lady behind the bar asked “what can I get ya mister.” I said “a cup of Joe darling.” I took out the card she gave me and I suddenly knew why she didn’t go to the cops she worked at an illegal night club. The Blue Swing was the place to be down on west side.

I ran outside and called a cab. I showed up at the Blue Swing and I saw her at the piano singing the most beautiful song I had ever heard. I sat down and did the stupidest thing I ever did I shouted “FBI put your hands up and step outside!” just then I felt it the cold end of a gun at point blank. I stabbed him in the leg with my Swiss and ran as fast as I can.

As I was running some thing next to a dumpster shimmered in the light. As I went and put it in my pocket WHAM! I woke up in a old run down warehouse. A man was siting in front of me hidden in the shadows in a deep raspy voice said “quit the case or I will kill you and every one you love.” Then he got up and walked towards me and I saw it it was him Tom Devaney. He knocked me upside the head and I was out like a light.

I woke up on the street outside my home I felt in my pocket and there it was the shiny thing I had seen, it was a ring, but not just a normal ring an engagement ring. I went in and went to my workshop. I took a look at the ring and I saw a logo in the gold. I knew this logo well, for it is the most famous jeweler in town, Jack's Jewels. I told myself I would do it in the morning and headed to bed. In the morning I awoke with a sudden realization.

What would a singer, a regular, and a mob boss have in common? It was a love triangle. I went to my desk and picked up my revolver. Then I headed to my car, and went to Jack's. I showed up and I went in. As soon as he saw me he panicked, in a whimper he said “hello detective what can I get you.” I said “cut the crap, Jack, or I will put a chunk of lead in your damn heart.” I set the ring on the table and told him to take a look at it. He said “yep this is one of mine, it is a personalized ring and you are lucky I know who I made it for. His name was Jack Barnett he was about to ask a girl to marry him a Jasmine that was it.” I was so exited I nearly ran into a lamppost. I hopped into my car and headed to the Blue Swing.

When I went in I asked the bar tender where Jasmine was, and she said “she took her check and ran as fast as she could. “I went to head to my office when I saw her on the stairs starring at the ground as if in a trance. I walk up to her and asked “what are you starring at?” she said “i was waiting for you so I could tell you I am leaving town.” then I explained to her why he asked her to meet him in the ally way. After I explained it to her she wept for so long it felt like two days had passed before she stopped. I gave her a hug and invited her into my office. She sat down and handed me a small package she told me “he gave it to me and said, if anyone ever comes after you tell them you have this.” I opened the package and what I saw surprised me it was a role of negatives. I asked her “did you ever produced them?” she told me “no” and sat down I said if she wants to sleep she can, and in five minutes she was out like a light.

When she awoke she told me everything, how they met, how long they dated, and everything in between. She left said it was forever and left me alone again. When she left I got into my car and went to my friend so he could produce the film. He took the picture and went into his dark room. In a couple hours he came out and handed me the file and said, “ I don't know where you got this Thomas but if the mob found out you had this they would kill you just to get this.”

As I was heading to my car I opened the file and what I saw would scare the stripes off a zebra. It was a picture of Devaney with a women and two kids that looked just like him. He was said to be the toughest man in New York, what was he doing with a family. I took the picture to my house and locked it in my safe along with my revolver. Then I headed to the diner. I went to my regular booth the one in the corner with no windows behind me. I sat down and Rachelle(the owner) brought me a menu. She said “hello Jack, What can I get you?” I told her “a BLT, and a coke.” she left and then came Jasmine, she ran up and slid into my booth.

“I need your help.” when Rachelle came to my booth her jaw dropped to the floor. She picked it up and said “ you didn't say you had a girlfriend.” I told her “she is a client, that is all.” “so you haven't told her about Mary yet have you.”I gave her the darkest stare I could, and said in a calm voice “I told you never to bring her up, or I would put a piece of lead in your heart.” They both just stared at me in shock. I turned to Jasmine and told her “she was my wife,and at first she was a client sadly she passed two years ago tomorrow.” I got up, and left. I went straight to bed, and had so many nightmares that night I could not sleep a wink.

When I got up I did the same thing I do when I am sad, I get blitzed. I went to the liquor cabinet, and got the scotch. I just popped open the bottle when there was a bang on the door. I went to answer it when guess who I saw? Devaney was at my front door with a hand in his coat. I walked to my safe, took the picture, and grabbed the gun. I walked to the door, stood where the door would block his view, and opened the door.

From behind the door I could hear him march in. my plan was simple he looked behind the door, and I shot him, there was only one problem, there were more men than him. I heard their foot steps on the way in. So I did the only thing I could, I stepped out from the door and cocked the gun. When I did I saw something that made me drop my gun, they had Jasmine! I screamed “ this is between me and you, let her go.” he laughed his cruel, cold laugh, and said in a saddened voice “I said I would kill everyone you loved, even if it is my true love.” I saw the fear in her eyes as she whimpered “it is no threat, he WILL kill me.”

I went with them, and got in their car. We went to the docks, and he forced us out of the car, got out, and told his men “go I want to kill them by my own hand.” I grabbed Jasmine's hand, and said a short prayer. I said “God rest our souls, let thy aim be true, and let it be painless. Let our souls get to your golden gates, and may our famies' love give us the wings, and hearts to fly. Amen.” then I went down, and reached down into my boot.

Before he could react I pulled out my darenger and shot him in the chest. Then I went up to the body, a bullet out of my jacket out of my pocket said “See you in hell,” and shot him in the head. Then I dumped the body into the water. We had a long walk home, but it gave us some time to get our heads around it. When we got home I grabbed the flat bottle of scotch, and poured us each a glass.

I went to my radio, and grabbed the jazz greatest hits. Duke is my favorite. We toasted to life, then we went to sleep. When we woke up we went to the diner. We laughed, and told each other our deepest feelings. Then I told her “look, a while ago I told myself I would never do this again, but I have feelings for you.” She smiled, and said “that's great because I have feelings for you too.” we went home and in a few months I proposed. I don't like to take things slow. For the next great adventure is yet to come.


Thomas Donny

© 2017 S.E Attebery


Author's Note

S.E Attebery
what do you think of my writing

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
Added on March 30, 2017
Last Updated on March 30, 2017

Author

S.E Attebery
S.E Attebery

richardson, TX



About
i am a short story writer based in Texas, my stories are about Thomas Donny New York detective more..