"America the Mute"

"America the Mute"

A Story by Tommy

      America was created because the people did not feel that their voices where being heard. This hand over the people’s mouths is what sparked the flame in the hearts of our American Fore Fathers. These flames inspired the people to stifle the single voice who governed them, by overwhelming it with their own. America was founded on a system, which can only work properly if its people are involved. In the beginning the American voice could be heard all around the world; people from other countries eagerly flocked here, so that they could join in with the loud chant, which said we have a voice! Many Americans have volunteered to fight for and many have died to ensure the safety of this right to have a voice. This voice of reason defines how the American people are free. However, in order for all the people to have a voice every American needs to participate. This voice is what fuels the American political system. Sadly, over the years the loud chant has turned into a whisper, and the founding traditions have begun to fade into history like the fall of an ancient empire.

 Does this mean that Americans just do not care anymore? What can be done to inspire the political voices of the American people again? To answer these questions I used the article “Civic Engagement,” by Thomas Ehrlich a “Senior Scholar at The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and Distinguished University Scholar at California State University.” He is also a founding board member of the “National Center for Public Policy and Higher Education.” I also looked to the advice of our current President Barack Obama. 

Have Americans lost their passion for the need to be heard? In his article Ehrlich explains the decline in the political process is not due to a lack of not wanting to help; but rather, because people have lost faith in the political system's ability to help get the job done.  He tells us:

Too often they fail to understand that if they want not only to assist at a community kitchen but also to help eliminate the need for that kitchen, then they must work to change public policy, and that politics, in one form or another is the primary vehicle in American democracy for perfecting public policy.

I agree with Ehrlich, that people are disillusioned with the politics in America. The problem isn't that the system is broke, but rather that it just lacks the steam to move the political messaging train up the hill to Washington. The first step in moving this train is to provide the fuel for the fire, which is used to heat the water used to produce the steam. This means you have to get involved with public policy on a personal level; otherwise, all your work is used up trying to push the train up the hill with your own two hands. How can you ensure the people you are voting for will represent you unless you are involved in the process which schools them on your needs? Barack Obama the American President, who inspired so many Americans to vote for the first time, explains the solution to our political problems in the simplest of terms “Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.” Ehrlich tells us “Our democracy depends on an informed and engaged citizenry, one that acquires the knowledge and skills needed to become politically involved and then participates actively.”

            How do we inspire the American people to use their political voices? Ehrlich looks to his collages to help make the change. He tells them:

“If American democracy is to live up to its ideals, we must have a sustained public dialogue on the public purposes of higher education, particularly on how to best educate future generations of the responsible and engaged citizens.”

Ehrlich looks to teaching techniques, which he feels will help to motivate the American youth to become civically engaged. He outlines the course studies called “Service Learning”, a curriculum closely linked to community service, which helps students connect to their community in a hands on way. Ehrlich explains, "Service Learning offers students opportunities to explore the relationship between their academic learning and their civic values and commitments.”

I believe Obama to be the lesser of two evils from our past elections, but not to be an angel. Democrat or Republican both parties are corrupted. People want change; they have just forgotten or never been taught how to bring about this change. During the most recent election record numbers of youth showed up to vote. This is the first step to “Civic Engagement,” by voting ones voice is heard. The interest in politics has been sparked, for the first time for many, because many people now know what it means to be an American. This right to voice our opinion has been over looked for quite sometime. People have forgotten the importance of being heard as well as the proper place to voice our opinions so that positive change will come about. Now that the spark has been cast it should be tended to with care. It is the responsibility of the informed to help educate people on the importance of being involved with our nation’s politics.

For far too long many have turned the other cheek to the problems of society, not looking at the big picture and seeing how it will affect us in the future. If this plea is heeded to, our government would do a one-eighty, because the voices of the people would once again be heard. If Educators can instruct the youth on the importance to not only vote, but show them the importance of being involved on a more personal level with politics; I believe the spark could grow into a flame, a flame that would warm the hearts of America, which in turn would burn down and cleanse the corrupted Washington politics we are all so disillusioned with. Change will come from the people who stop complaining about our problems on the blogs while sitting at home and waiting for the corrupt representatives of our government to make our decisions for us. It’s time to get involved on a more personal level!

 

2011 © T.G. Hopkins III

            Work Cited

Thomas Ehrlich. “Civic Engagement.”

            Measuring Up 2000. Unknown. 01/25/2007

            < http://measuringup.highereducation.org/2000/articles/ThomasEhrlich.cfm>

Barack Obama. “Speech”

            D.N.C. 08/28/2008. 01/28/2009

                        < http://www.notable-quotes.com/o/obama_barack.html>

 

© 2011 Tommy


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

One of the biggest problems in our political system is the lack of participation in midterm elections. Thats where we always leave the system deadlocked. No one seems to really care about them. Crap like Jerrymandering als is an abomination to our political system..where incumbents can alter the shape of the voting district as they see fit.

The thing that buts me the most is the party system. Its nothing but hogwash. Americans have gotten to distracted by luxuries and flashing lights. What happened to the days where it was cool to be young and politically involved?

You have shown us that nothing has happened. It still is!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Excellent, well thought out piece. Goes right to the heart of things. Hopefully people will wake up and give a darn before it's too late. There's no need to give up. While there's breath, there's hope, but people have to act and not just hope someone else does something while they're busy complaining. A little compassion for others can go a very long way as well.
Very well written and organized piece.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

One of the biggest problems in our political system is the lack of participation in midterm elections. Thats where we always leave the system deadlocked. No one seems to really care about them. Crap like Jerrymandering als is an abomination to our political system..where incumbents can alter the shape of the voting district as they see fit.

The thing that buts me the most is the party system. Its nothing but hogwash. Americans have gotten to distracted by luxuries and flashing lights. What happened to the days where it was cool to be young and politically involved?

You have shown us that nothing has happened. It still is!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a well thought out "think" piece that certainly reaches into the heart of this country's political apathy. Personally it is always sad to me to see more people voting for the American Idol winner that the President of our country. Sad. Anyway, I enjoyed reading this and I've marked a couple of typos. I also feel that there are a few places that need commas. I realize that in some places they may not be technically necessary, but I've alway felt that help break up rapidly made points which you use throughout you essay. This is just an opinion and not a necessity.

I noticed a few typos which I have listed. In the second to the last paragraph.
has been over looked for quit sometime. Quit should be quite.

In your last paragraph there are a couple more:
one eighty should be hyphenated as one-eighty, voice’s should not have the apostrophe, it is plural not possessive, and cleans should be cleanse.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very deep exploration into opinions, problems, solutions. I liked the quotes you used, they were very relevant and helped the story and idea move along. I liked your ideas and your journey into this subject.
It was a little dry, hard to really stay glued to; perhaps a little imagery/vibrant words to fix it up, but that's not a problem with your writing as it is my tastes. I'm not much one for politics, but I think your message in here was very clear that no matter who I am, I should be involved in the going-ons of our nation.
Well written, laid out, and thought out. Great work Tommy.
-Ashes

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

320 Views
4 Reviews
Added on June 24, 2010
Last Updated on March 9, 2011

Author

Tommy
Tommy

Sandy, UT



About
Veneratio, Amor, et Gratia! Respect, Love, and Gratitude! more..

Writing