Wraith Chapter 1

Wraith Chapter 1

A Story by Tilda

12 years later - Present day


The sound of her voice caught his attention before she even had entered the doors. It was after midnight but it seemed like the atmosphere was only getting wilder and wilder as the seconds flew by. He looked down at his phone, checking the time before turning his head and stared out through the window across the room. The girl slammed the door to her car, mumbling to herself and started to run towards the pub with her jacket over her head as protection from the rain. She walked in, shook her hair and then picked up her phone. Speaking loudly to make herself heard over the noise inside the pub, though that didn’t help much.

Hey, yes I’m here. What? I can’t hear you”. She spoke as she walked up to the counter.

What was that? No… Okay, hey shut up. Yes I know… well I’m here now so stop being a b***h about it. Okay I’ll grab a pen and write it down, okay I know. Yea whatever, bye” She walked up to the counter and dropped her bag and the wet jacket on the floor, putting her phone in her back pocket. She hadn't noticed the man on the other side of the desk yet, nor his curious eyes. The girl poured up something in a glass to herself and drew a hand over her face with a slight sigh. Her heartbeat expressed stress, but exhaustion was an even more obvious symptom. The man straightened himself before putting away his phone as well, still observing her with a faint smile. The girl put the drink down beside her on the desk and buried her face in her hands, like if she was ready to lie down and sleep on the floor.


Tough day?” He asked, finally catching her attention. The girl looked at him through her fingers before her hands dropped to the desk again. She removed a strand of hair from her face and sigh with the mannered smile he knew was a part of her job.

I’ve had worse” she answered, surprised by the question. “What can I get you?” she asked as she put her hair up in a ponytail, showcasing her neck and collarbones, and then reached for another glass from behind the counter.

Nothing you find on this menu” he answered with a faint smile.

Oh really?” She frowned, observed him now with more awakened eyes and leaned closer over the desk. “Then maybe you should go and look for another bar?” she said as she raised an eyebrow at him. The man’s smile grew bigger, showing off a couple of teeth as he shrugged. “Just a suggestion… “She added before straightening herself and raised her glass, still keeping an eye on him. The man bit his lip.

Was that your boyfriend on the phone?” He asked, saw her eyes widen by surprise.

Excuse me?” she asked.

“Am I right?” He gave her a playful smirk

Wait wait, how could you… Why?” she asked and leaned forward over the desk.

The intention with that type of question is normally pretty obvious?” he answered. She blinked, staring at him. Emptied the glass and then refilled it.


That was my ex, okay? Happy, you creep?” she answered without looking up. The man looked down at the floor, his hair covering his narrow smile.

As long as "ex" means ex and not something else” he then said. “Otherwise, old boyfriends has a strange habit of disappearing when competition arises, which happens sooner or later” He looked up at her. Her eyes suddenly reviling nervosity as she stared back at the stranger. He heard how her pulse jumped and smiled to himself. They both continued to stare at each other a while. His black eyes looking straight through her, hoping to make her feel naked in front of him, like to make her understand she could not hide anything from him. A playful, dangerous smile was playing upon his lips as he tilted his head, knowing he had her where he wanted already. He suddenly looked away, not wanting to overact his interest for her, not wanting to be too obvious. He felt her eyes linger, confirming her curiosity towards him. “What are you, a spy whose intercepting people's phone calls?” she asked quietly. The man laughed.

Do I look like a spy? Exactly, trust me, I'm just good at guessing” The girl nodded but stayed quiet, like if she was to confused to know what to think. After a while she started to mumble to herself as if she just had remembered something and started to look around.

Looking for something?” He heard her quietly mumble to herself.

Yea, or no… don’t bother” She answered, got on her knees and opened a locker. “Seriously, oh come on… I thought we had…”

A pen?” the man interrupted. The girl froze, as if she asked herself if she really just heard him say that. She slowly looked up at him again from behind the counter, blinked, her face burying a surge of mutual fascination and disquiet. “Okay now you’re starting to freak me out” she said


Like I said, I'm good at guessing. But I also heard you say something about writing something down before when you were on the phone” he explained.

I can barely hear my own thoughts over this noise, what are you, Clark Kent?” she asked as she stood up. He handed her the pen he happened to have in his pocket and laughed.

I prefer creep” he said. The girl smiled and frowned.

Well you seem to be filled with surprises anyway though” she mumbled. “How about half creep, half gentleman?”

That is probably the closest I’ll ever get to a compliment” he said and frowned. She laughed and bit her lip, noticed he did the same when he saw her doing it.

What’s your name?” he asked. She looked up, seemed to be more relaxed now.

Michael… or Ida, Michael is my last name” she answered, he grinned, looked at her quietly and then nodded.

Well then, Ida. I like making you laugh” he said. Ida blushed and looked down with a shy smile.

Just another question” he added after a while. “You haven’t met a lot of nice guys, have you?” She laughed again, this time as if she thought the question was meant as a joke. She wrote, what appeared to be an address, on a piece of paper before putting it inside of her bra. She then tilted her head and leaned back against the desk behind her with her arms crossed over her chest.

What makes you think that?” she asked. The man shrugged.

Nah just… you called me a creep when I asked if you were single, and a gentleman when I let you barrow a pen?” He frowned. “Just doesn’t appear to me that you’ve been around people who know how to treat you well” Ida looked away, jaws clenching.

Is this like an everyday thing for you, asking people you don’t know about their private lives?”


She stared at him, suddenly sounded a bit annoyed; which was only confirming he had found a sore spot.

My apologies, I didn't mean to offend…” he said and looked like he was honestly sorry.

I’m not offended, just... fascinated by your lack of respect” she answered and raised an eyebrow at him. The man was quiet, staring at her with narrow eyes.

I was only asking you a question, besides if I was in lack of respect then I would have kissed you by now” he said, his face dead serious while he gave her a thorough twice-over, her body language, lingering at what he guessed could be her weak spots, heard her pulse jump erratically and had to grit his teeth to stop himself from smiling. The girl blushed again but stood her ground, clashing her teeth. Opened her mouth like if to say something, then thought better of it and kept quiet.

What the hell is your problem?” she finally manage to say and raised her voice. The man laughed quietly and leaned back in his chair.

Relax, I'm kidding...” he said with a neutral tone in his voice. She didn't buy it, they both knew it. She continued to stare back at him until she finally took a step closer and leaned against the counter in front of her instead.

You know what, you’re right” she manage to say after a while with a sigh and smiled to herself. “Apparently I’m a magnet that only attracts trouble, okay. Guys are jerks, and I’m tired of exposing myself to people who doesn't give me anything in return. I just don’t care anymore” She shrugged. “So, happy? Can you stop playing psychologist and let me do my job now before I'll have you arrested?” Ida raised her glass to drink. She was shaking and the man knew he was the cause, but it was impossible to say if he had gotten her uncomfortable, or if she was just trying to collect herself.

I’m sorry” The man looked up at her, slowly facing her eyes. “I take it all back, I just wanted to say that “if” that was the case, then you should know that all guys are not the same” Ida laughed.


All guys are exactly the same. You just came at me from nowhere and said that you wanted to kiss me, and you call it respect that you choose not to? You don't even know me”

I'm trying to get to know you, if you haven't noticed. And I just said that to get a reaction” He tilted his head. “You have had some bad luck, that does not make you a trouble magnet and it does not mean all guys are the same” She couldn't decide whether if his voice sounded hard or relaxed and somehow it made her frustrated

Do you wanna know something funny I’ve noticed about people who use that argument?” she asked. He didn't answer, just putting his arms up on the desk and turned his body towards her. Ida leaned down over the counter, still with the glas in her hands.

People who use that argument are usually the worst, ironically” The man couldn’t keep himself from smiling as he leaned closer himself.

Are you kidding me? You don’t even know my name and you are already rejecting me. This is the worst day ever”; saw her struggling from smiling back.

So what? Are you saying you're a good guy then?” she asked. He grinned at her.

I’m haven't said anything” he said and held up his hands in innocence.

Thats not an answer” she said. He laughed.

I thought you said you don’t care about guys anymore, so what difference would it make?” he asked teasingly. She shrugged.

If you know I'm not intrested then why so offended by the thought of getting rejected?” she snapped. His grin slowly faded, but his eyes were still just as wild looking as a panthers. Suddenly you’re so curious, my dove? He thought.


I’m gonna be honest, Ida. I tend to stay away from beautiful girls like you because what I’ve noticed, just like you have, is that love has a tendency to hold you back. Suddenly you can not afford to mess up because your mistakes infects the other person. You have to protect them no matter what because they are your responsibility and if something happens to them... you will never be able to fully forgive yourself. I am a man who can not be held back, and I know what that makes me sound like, but it actually has nothing to do with the partner or whatever. I just can’t risk getting close to someone or let that someone get close to me… Not because I’m afraid of getting hurt or because I don't want to have someone, but because… nothing ever works out around me. I constantly mess up and my lifestyle can't be shared with anyone. I can’t just be with someone, because I end up hurting them. I wouldn’t say I’m offended, but... I guess it just keep coming back to me that I’m not good, and you just remind me of…how bad I wish I could be” He paused, observing her. Knowing that what he was telling her could ruin everything, if that kiss-thing hadn't runined it already. She looked at him, tilted her head.

There is nothing wrong with being a lonewolf” she finally said and looked down at her glass. “and there is nothing wrong with... being afraid of love or getting close to someone. The pain, is something you will always protect the people you care about from, always. But I guess if it wasn't for the pain then how can you know it's love, and not something else?” She looked up. The man was quiet,

I think you know” he said after a while. “I don’t expect you to understand” he shrugged. “It's personal so I don't even know why I'm telling you this. I just felt like telling you”

It's okay, and I’m sorry” she said, looked almost sad, but understanding. “Maybe I’m tired of guys yes, or feelings in general but I could never do that; resign myself from love as a way to protect myself and others. For me... it doesn’t sound like an act of good will, it sounds like... a punishment, like you're giving up on yourself” He looked at her, his eyes softened.

Then punishment it is”


The night continued, Ida was suddenly busy and was constantly running out to all the tables, serving the costumers with her strandard fake-smile on. The man stayed on his chair, thinking back at the conversation. His throat felt sore and his teeth almost hurting since the neeed to fed was slowly getting overwhelming. He couldn't stay in here much longer before a massacare would happened. Being close to her wasn't a smart move and he knew that, though he didn't want anything else. In the middle of the chaos his hunger was causing, she some how made him focus on other matters. As she came back with the dishes he took his opportunity.

Why are you working here, of all places?”

The money, of course, but also because I couldn't find anything better” she shrugged. “Why?” She started to dry the counter with a dishtowel.

I see. No nothing, just, being a waitress doesn't seem like your thing” She raised an eyebrow at him.

Really? Okay, so whats my thing according to you?” she asked him with a smirk. He leaned back, observing her head to toe with an approval smile. She didn't like the mixed between the darkness in his eyes, and the secrets witin his smile. He crossed his arms over his chest and let out a small growl as if it was a tough question.

How about something... something creative? Theater?” He said. Ida laughed. He tilted his head and then shook it slowly, changing his mind. “No, no you don't seem like a spotlight girl...” He bit his lip. “Producer, maybe?” he said and raised an eyebrow at her. “Yes, you actually seem like you could have a bit of a controlfreak inside you” he grinned.

Ha, ha, very funny” she said, jaw twitch.

I take that as a no then” he mumbled with a shrug. “How about dancing?” he asked and sounded slightly hopefull. Ida observed him, hoping the look on her face would express something like: 

- Dancing, are you serious? The man laughed


“No? God d****t...” He sighed.

“I only dance when I'm home alone, if you need to know” Ida answered and shrugged shyly. The man smiled triumphantly at that little confession.

“Good enough for me” he laughed. Ida blushed and shook her head as if she wanted to change the topic of the conversation as fast as possible. “How about music?” he asked after a while. “Do you sing or play an instrument? You seem like a classic rock, mayby Jazz - kind of person. Piano possibly ” he said and observed her with narrow eyes. Ida smiled at him and shrugged again.

“Really?” she asked.

“Am I right then, or am I at least on the right track?” The man bit his lip.

“Well I had a band two years ago, but I don't know if it's something I would like to make a living of. It was mostly a hobby I suppose”

How old were you?”

“15...” she hesitated as the answer seem to have passed her lips before she could stop it.

“How old are you now?” the man continued.

“17...” He grinned

“Do your parents know you’re here?” he asked mockingly and Ida's jaw dropped unwillingly.

“Do not think I'd hesitate to throw you out just because of the little chat we had before”

He laughed quietly, still staring back at her.


Before? How about the chat we are having right now?” he asked and frowned.

You are a customer, I kind of have to... You haven't ordered anything though” she said.

So?” he smiled.

If you're not here to drink, you might as well leave” she pointed out.

Nah you'd miss me” he grinned. Ida smirked.

Hey, you are keeping me here for some weird reason. It seems more likely that you'd miss me since you refuse to leave me alone” she raised an eyebrow at him. Was he a stalker or something? He held back a smile.

Really? Okay, so if I order something you'll continue to company me?” He suggested. She licked her lips and crossed her arms over her chest with a hard exhalation.

You know I don't have a choice” He grinned again.

I know you want too” he replied.

How?” she asked and frowned.

Because if you wanted to be left alone you couldn't just walked away or ignored me” he answered calmly.

“I can't just do that? I have other customers to take care of, creep” Ida said. The man shrugged.

“Then you must like me better” he smiled. The girl laughed.

You can't keep me here all night, just tell me, what do you want?” she asked. His smile widen as his mind went through a bunch of different teasing suggestions he could mention.

How about more answers, to my questions” he answered. She made a complaining sound and stood up again.

Why are you doing this?” She asked.

Why not? I’m curious, a great listener and besides I'm only making your job more enjoyably” He grabbed her glass and took a sip with a playful smile. Her eyes widen.


Heey.. You better pay for that” she pointed at the glass. He handed it back to her but didn't let it go when she grabbed it.

Does that count as if I've ordered?” he asked.

No...” she said, but the hesitation in her voice was obvious and he smiled. “You're still gonna pay me somehow though” she continued sterner.

How?” he asked with dark eyes as his smile widen. She snorted and snatched the glass out of his hand.

Stop doing that” she said, blushing.

Do what?” he laughed.

Looking at me like that, with those eyes...” The man observed her as she corrected her shirt.

I'm afraid I can't help it. I could put on sunglasses so it becomes more bearable for you” he teased.

Just... stop flirting with me, or whatver you're doing” she mumbled, nervous.

Why, are you going to kick me out?” he asked with a playful grin.

I'm tempted to” she mumbled. He laughed.

What is up with you and the need to kick people out?” She laughed quietly and shrugged.

You sir, is seriously freaking me out so why wouldn't I?” The man sigh.

Don't mind me, I grew up with my father and three older brothers” He grinned to himself. “Girls are still as fascinating as they are misterious...” Ida nodded.

I grew up with two older sisters. I think I can deal with you” she said. He smiled, suddenly she found herself thinking that grin was quite charming. She raised an eyebrow at him but stayed quiet, swallowed that thought before it got the chance to expand.


15 minutes later Ida was getting impatient .

“I'm serious though, order or leave. I'm here to serve not entertain” Ida put her hand on her hip.

“Too bad because you're better at entertaining than you are serving” He faced her eyes and they didn't look merciful. ”Fine... Just give me a sekond” he said and pretended to look down at the menu. Ida nodded and walked away to get some dishes from another table. The man swallowed his growing thirst, it was becoming stronger and it frightened him. There was so many scents in the room, so much blood. He felt his eyes changing and shut them, his head spinning. Ida sat down on the seat beside him and put the dishes on the counter. Her warmth and scent awakened his senses and he opened his eyes again, looked at her with his palm covering his mouth and chin. His teeths were developing, slowly growing from the root, getting stronger and sharper. The muscles in his jaw were clutching so hard it hurt and he cursed himself, the devil inside he couldn't control.

"Decided yet?" she asked.

"Sorry no, headache  just hit me. I'll be going in a few minutes, don't worry" The man suddenly noticed a tiny half moon tattoo on the inside of the girl's wrist and smiled at it.

“Thats cute...” he said and pointed at it.

“Thanks” she said surprisingly.

“Is that the only one you got?” he asked.

“Yep, do you have any?” The man slowly nodded and pointed to the area underneath his right collerbone. He seemed to be following the line of it with his fingertip and it shaped into a circle.

“What does it mean?” she asked, slowly letting a hand slip in under his jacket, stroked the edge of the tattoo.


The man let out a surprised half groan by her light touch.

Eternal curse. Don't ask...” he mumbled. She nodded. “And I have one here aswell, and it's a skeleton butterfly” he explained and pointed to the side of his neck. The girl leaned closer and cupped her hand around his neck, slowly following the lines of it with her fingers. The man clutched his jaw since her scent was so inviting and intense.

"Um. it symbolizes the subtle line between life and death" he continued.

I like them, I like tattoos in general” she said. “There is just something about them that is just extremely attracting somehow” she added, and the man looked up at her, wanting to kiss her. He saw the desire in her eyes but before he could do anything she straightened up with a smirk and took a step back. He closed his eyes and smiled to himself, like if he was watching something happen behind his eyelids. He sighed and turned his face to the floor. “Not nice... “ he mumbled, looking up with a playful smile.

Never give the wrong guy the wrong hopes. You are putting yourself in danger” Ida laughed. The man studied her with narrow eyes, suddenly distracted since he was enjoying everything he saw. Ida raised an eyebrow at him.

I'm not afraid of you, creep” she went on. “And why by the way, is that a warning?”

Should be. Could be” he grinned, trying not to expose his growing teeth.

How?” she asked.


Well it depends on what you answer on my final question” he answered. She frowned. The man dragged his fingers through his hair, smiling mockingly. “How long have you been stealing from your customers?” Ida froze and her jaw almost dropped. She tried to shake the shock of and regain control over the situation as her mind went blank for a second. Knowing he had noticed her hand slipping into the inner pocket of his jacket, she had no clue what to answer.

Since... “ He could see how she cursed herself for starting that sentence. One word and she had already confessed. “I need the money, the drunks here do not...” She finally said, trying to ignore his grin. The man stood up.

So why would you steal from me? I'm more sober than you are”

Ida didn't answer and the man sigh with a smile.

Well since you already know I’m not here to get drunk I might aswell break it to you” He slowly leaned over the counter, “I have much more to offer then a few bills” His voice was suddenly dark and challenging. Her pulse jumped again.

I'm not playing games” she said, jaw clenching. Her voice exposed how nervous she was though and the man let out a laugh. “It doesn't matter. Life is a game, and we are all in it but on different levels. The important thing to remember if you want to survive...” He pulled out the note she had been hiding in her bra and her eyes widen. “... is to always lay one step ahead of the others. Always be the most flexible one, always know when to go and when to stop, what weapon to use and which words to speak out. You’re not the only master thief in the building, Ida” he whispered and blinked. Ida swallowed, feeling both ill at ease and fascinated. She made an attempt to take the note from him but missed.


“How about we start with you giving me my credit card back, and I’ll hand you this?” he said.

“What is wrong with you? Give me that!” She kept missing. “Ah, fine, whats the if?” she asked and sighed. The man made a deep almost- growl and grinned.

“Well if, hmm I get your phone number as well of course, or someone is going to tell the boss of what you're doing to the costomers” He added with a shy smirk… Ida paused, blushed and took a step back with her arms crossed over her chest, looking through her options. He frowned, smiled at her insecurity.

“What if I hate my job and rather write a new note later?” she finally said, but it sounded more like she was deliberated with herself. The man sigh. He didn't mind her playing hard-to-get, but he was runing out of time. He handed her the note but as she reached out a hand to take it - he grabbed her wrist, pulled out the pen he had given her earlier from her pocket and scribbled something on it before she thought to pull away. He then took advantage of her surprised reaction and leaned down and stole back the credit card she had tried to hide in her back pocket.

“Do me a favor...” He tapped the pen against the inside of her wrist. Ida looked at the numbers. She was not going to call him, thats for sure.

“Why? I thought you just said you're the wrong guy” she asked quietly. He smiled softly.

“But you're not the wrong girl”

A man entered the bar and his scent quickly filled the room and caught Alec's attention from Ida.

“What?” Ida asked who noticed the wild look he was giving the unknown man.

“Nothing… I, I just have to do something…” He looked after the stranger as he slipped out through the backdoor behind the desk. Alec's throat was burning with fire. He had to get out of there. Now.

“Wait… wait whats your name?” Ida asked as his body started to drag him toward the door. He didn't turn around, afraid she would see the beast behind his eyes.

“Alec”


The man was walking towards the parking lot behind the pub but didn’t come far before someone grabbed him from behind and smashed him against the wall. As Alec grabbed the man by his throat and held him in front of him.

My apologies” Alec said with a husky and almost stressed voice. “You my friend are one unlucky guy, because I just happen to be terrible thirsty” The man tried to scream again, tears of panic and fear was runing down his face. Alec looked at him with eyes shifting from black to shiny yellow. A sting of pain and gulit striking his heart as he looked at the man. “Please, I'll do anything. I have... I have kids, please...” Blood was dripping from his mouth since Alecs hands were slowly crushing his throat. The stranger pulled out a picture out of his jacket, picturing two blonde girls. Alec pretended like he didn't see as he slowly sank deep down inside of his own body. He couldn't fight it anymore and the beast took over his actions.

I hope you remembered to kiss them goodnight before you came here then, cause you'll never get the chance again” His teeth exposed near the man’s throat as he whispered. The stranger cried hysterically.

Who are you?” the man asked as he tried to hit his abuser in panic, but Alec just smiled and shook his head with his eyes closed before he snatched the man's neck with one quick move.

Death

© 2014 Tilda


Author's Note

Tilda
So I got inspired to write a story about something supernatural, which is normally not quite my thing. I tried anyway and this is the result so I hope you enjoy it and I'll try to write a second chapter. Try to an overview on grammar/choice of words/spelling, since I'm Swedish and writing on English is pretty new to me lol Rate/comment!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

271 Views
Added on September 14, 2014
Last Updated on November 25, 2014

Author

Tilda
Tilda

Falun, Dalarna, Sweden



About
more..

Writing