Rarua will never use his bows and arrows again

Rarua will never use his bows and arrows again

A Story by Christine
"

It is a literary text with the connotations of HIV/AIDs

"
In my entire days in hunting i had never seen a beautiful gazelle like the one which was standing few metres away from me Rarua the chief hunter. It was a chilly morning and the sun’s rays were forcing its way up the horizon. In my twenty five years of hunting, i had become a splendid sharp shooter. The only time that i did not kill an animal was when i decided to spare the poor animal from a cold death. On this day, it was during a prolonged drought and all wild animals were dying of thirst and lack of pasture. Normally, gazelles graze in groups of tens and since they are a prey to lions and wild dogs, they are always alert.
My bow was in place and ready to release the arrow but i had a change of mind. I withdrew the arrow and rubbed my eyes as if i had encountered morning mist. I took a close look at the beautiful animal which was standing before me. I made half a stride with my right leg to get a clear view. In the whole village people refered to me as Rarua the sharp shooter. I was certain that i was going to shoot as usual. But before i took the life out of the poor animal, the urge to admire it was stirring in me. Confusion mingled together with excitement and for a short period i didn’t know what to do. The little history i had about gazelles was that they are a genus (gazella) found in the antelope family, six species of which can be found throughout Africa. I took a keen look at the dazzling eyes, small shaped nose, strong planted horns and a long neck.
“I won’t kill this gazelle now,” i said to myself.
“keep calm Rarua, it is not yet time.”
I took one step backward so that i could come up with a smart plan. The thought of holding its horns firmly in my palms left a thrilling anticipation inside my belly. I made another glance at the beautiful gazelle and this time i was salivating.
“Camouflage Rarua, it will give you a chance to show the gazelle new grazing areas.” I whispered to myself.
I took out the antelope’s skin which was inside my bag. The sun was very hot and therefore, the gazelle could not move from the bushes’ shade. I covered myself with the antelope’s skin and moved towards the gazelle on my knees and hands. To my surprise, it did not move an inch and for a moment i felt like i was another gazelle.
As the sun was setting on the horizon, i realized that i had not killed an animal for my two wives and seven children. Confusion mingled together with shock which made my heart jump. I had spend the whole day feeding the my beautiful gazelle and funny enough i was enjoying the moment. When i neared home i started limping.
“I had one of the worst days my dear wife, i hurt my leg.” I had to cheat inorder to cover up my shame of coming home empty handed.
“I know tomorrow i must kill an animal. Rarua never comes home empty handed.”
The following days were more similar because i spent all my hunting time with the beautiful gazelle under the shades in the forest. My agony started one day when i found the gazelle lying down and it could not even move its tooth. The poor animal stayed in pain and day in day out i could not help.. Things even got worse when i also got sick and started losing weight. I lost interest in hunting and finally my two wives had to nurse me in my little hut.
As i looked at the lion’s skin that i had hanged on the wall, i felt helpless and worthless. The virus that i was carrying in my blood could not be cured. As days went by, pain and guilty was eating a hole in my heart. One day when my wife brought me bone supu, I felt guilty wash me like an acid bath. I turned on my bamboo bed and faced the wall. “Rarua will never use his bows and arrows again.” I said to myself.

© 2017 Christine


Author's Note

Christine
please give genuine remarks i would want to grow in writing

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on January 21, 2017
Last Updated on January 21, 2017
Tags: Bows, arrows, hunter, gazelle, animal

Author

Christine
Christine

Mombasa, Christian, Kenya



About
Searching for knowledge more..