HER VISITOR

HER VISITOR

A Story by Tina Kline
"

A tale of a werewolf who came to visit.

"

  

 

    She looked out her window at the blue and green northern lights. They flickered and hissed above the Douglas Fir tree line. She was mesmerized by this light show, thinking to her they looked like curtains that were being blown in the solar winds. She could stand at her front room window all night watching the aurora borealis and night was long in this part of Alaska.

    Sighing, she was about to step away from the window when she saw movement in her snow covered front yard. She stared hard out the window now, concentrating on the shadow that was moving about in the flickering glow of the northern lights.

    “I wonder what that is?” she whispered to herself. It’s probably a bear or moose, she thought, deciding it wasn’t worth it to go investigate.

    She let the curtains fall back into place and turned away from the window. That was the moment she heard a strange noise coming from outside.

    Her first thought it must be a Grey then laughed at herself. Too much listening to CoastToCoastAM. She liked that radio program and listened to it almost every night. No, what ever is out there can stay a mystery. I’m not investigating, she told herself. She lived alone in her cabin on the outskirts of a small Alaskan town with a couple Husky dogs that she kept in a kennel at night. She was an excellent marksman or markswoman and had no fear she couldn’t defend herself. She’d had training using rifles, shotguns and small firearms. And she’d taken self defense classes and knew how to knife fight as well. She was not afraid living alone and she wasn’t afraid of what ever was out in her front yard making strange noises right now.

    She went upstairs to the second floor of her cabin. In her bedroom she had one wall that was a thick, shatterproof glass wall. The drapes were open and the northern lights display was in full view. Smiling, she prepared for bed. Once snuggled in bed she relaxed, got comfortable and watched the light show until she drifted off to sleep.

 

    Sometime later, she didn’t know how long, something woke her. Something was in her cabin. She felt fear now! Something was moving around downstairs in her living room. Being as quiet as she could she reached beneath her bed and pulled out her loaded shotgun. She took several calming breaths. She concentrated on slowing her pounding heart then she slipped out of bed.

     She went to the top of the stairs and gazed down into the living room. The light from the dancing aurora borealis spilled in through several windows so she could easily see. And she saw something walking about, checking out things in her living room. She managed to contain a gasp of surprise. A wolf? A wolf wandering about the 1st floor of her cabin? How on earth would a wolf be able to get into her home? No matter, she thought, it has to leave. She started down the stairs, shotgun held at the ready.

     The wolf heard her descending the stairs and turned to face her, his eyes wide and staring, his ears alert and his head slightly tilted.

    She froze halfway down the stairs. She felt nervous, uncertain all of a sudden. The wolf wasn’t behaving like a wild animal. Could it be someone’s pet? If he was used to humans she knew he could be more dangerous. She cocked the shotgun just in case the wolf tried to jump her.

    At the loud sound of the shotgun being cocked the wolf jerked in surprise and became tense, his ears flattening a little. He made a whining sound.

    “What are you doing in my home?” she said to the wolf as she came down the remaining stairs, shotgun pointed at the wolf.

    The wolf whined and backed away from her several steps. He lowered his head slightly, jaws parted.

    “If you just leave the way you came then no one has to get hurt.” She said.

    The wolf suddenly reared up on his hind legs, becoming misty and blurry. She blinked, feeling light headed and dizzy, wondering what the hell she was seeing. The blurry form that had been a large Timber Wolf was becoming solid and shaped dramatically different. She was confused, terribly confused. Before her now stood a naked man, probably around 35 to 40 years of age, dark skinned with long straight black hair.

    Indian was all that she could think. He’s an Indian. A naked Indian man in my home.

    Once he was completely solid he smiled at her, a charming smile, his teeth bright and so were his brown eyes. “Hello.” He said. “Thought I’d say hi before I left.”

    She continued staring at him open mouthed. He had just been a wolf, hadn’t he? She asked herself.

    “Um. Could you point your gun in another direction? I’m not planning on attacking you. I’ll just be going now. Nice to meet you.” He turned toward the front door. “I’ll just go the same way I came in, like you wanted me to.”

    “Wait!” she shrieked, feeling like her senses had finally returned and she could function again. “Wait a second.”

    The naked man turned back toward her, grinning, his eyebrows sweeping up his forehead. “Yes?”

    “What are you?” She pointed her shotgun away from him. “And why did you come into my home?”

    The northern lights cast eerie colors into the cabin through the windows. He glanced toward one of those windows. “It’s cold out there. It looked cozy in here. And as to what I am…I’m a shape shifter. You know, a skin walker.”

    “A skin walker? You’re a werewolf?”

   “You can call me that. I am a wolf. A wolf that turns into a human or maybe I’m a human who turns into a wolf. I’m not sure.” He turned toward the front door again.

    “Were you just out in my yard?”

    “Yes.” He said without facing her. His hand reached for the door handle.

    “Wait!” she called again.

    “Yes?” he asked.

    “You can sleep on the couch if you’re too cold out there.” She didn’t know what made her make that offer; something just came over her, a feeling like she could trust him and for some strange reason too she didn’t want him to leave. But why she suddenly and unexpectedly felt these things, she didn’t know.

    “Are you sure?” he asked, smiling but she couldn’t see the smile since his back was still turned to her.

    “Yes. Sleep on the couch then leave when you want. I won’t bother you.” She said turning around. “You can find bedding in the closet by the kitchen.”

    He turned and watched her going back up the stairs, his brown eyes strangely radiant, his grin wide, exposing his canine teeth. “Thank you!” He called up to her.

    “You’re welcome.” She called back.

                *                                    *

    Several hours later she woke to the sound of howling outside her glass wall. She

leaped out of bed and went and looked down. The Timber Wolf was out there, facing her cabin, howling with the northern lights shifting in the dark sky.

    The wolf looked up at her, swished his bushy tail to and fro then turned and dashed into the Douglas Fir forest at the edge of her property.

   She smiled but felt lonely and sad suddenly. She had become attached to him in such an amazingly short period of time and wondered if she’d ever see her Indian Werewolf again.

   

  

© 2011 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this story ~

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very interesting werewolf tale. Perhaps he'll come back, I rather think he will. He seemed to like her just as much as she liked him.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very impressive, very mysterious too. I think this could make a book, there's enough for a plot plus some! Awesome!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very cool story. Great job upon this creation. Mysterious and cool tale. Excellent pen upon this. The pictures are a cool touch.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
4 Reviews
Added on November 15, 2010
Last Updated on July 5, 2011
Tags: werewolves, werewolf, northern lights, Alaska, winter

Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline