a brief party on the bottom of the sea

a brief party on the bottom of the sea

A Story by Mark J Lombardo
"

A story of sea animals living like royalty.

"
The crowds all gathered on the bottom of the sea for a brief evening. The octopi arrived with all eight hands holding onto their dates, the jellyfish brought their bottles of fermented algae, the sharks with their dark blood whisky, and the dolphins with their fruity drinks. The barracudas came with no drinks of their own looking to steal from whoever they could distract, the marlins came with their finest bottles of sparkling pacific ocean water and the blowfish brought their barrels of octopus ink - which offended all the octopi and their finely dressed dates. The watery reflection of the stars shined down on the seafloor where all the animals played games, smoked coral and dined on whatever the sardines dressed as butlers brought to the various tables. 
When the dancing began all the animals selected a date to enjoy the tune with. The octopi brought their dates, the marlins courted an assortment of fine fishes as the band of clown fish went into an upbeat ragtime. While the animals swarmed into the floor the barracudas went into hunt mode and stole as many drinks as the could find. Some full bottles, others half empty glasses but the barracudas didn't care - they were not choosy chuggers.
The blowfish refused to dance, they continued to smoke and gulp down their octopus ink while looking at all the young beautiful fish. They would occasionally let out a big belly and juicy laugh that sent ripples out all around them.
The sea lions were the philosophers, the thinkers. They drank a clear liquid, similar to gin, out of goblets they had found from treasures on the bottom of the sea. They discussed how creatures could live outside of waters and breathe air. They also pondered the thought of the planet and how it floated around a great big ball of fire and what would happen to them after they die and float to the surface lifelessly. Most of the male animals were jealous of the sea lions , who effortlessly attracted all the females, but the males could never bring themselves to really hate any of the sea lions for how respectful and caring the sea lions were to all species. They sat drinking with their flippers up on the tables singing and barking in perfect harmony throughout the entire evening. All the creatures knew it was not a successful evening until the sea lions were in attendance playing it cool and confident in the corner, attracting the girls and pondering the questions of the vast waters they lived in. oh, and they had long beards and long mustaches.
Soon the barracudas became so drunk that they began throwing up behind the seaweed - laughing at each other and rolling around on the sand.
All the animals danced and sang for about an hour until someone yelled at the top of his gills “BOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!” as the sound echoed through the party scene. All sounds and actions stopped as the animals looked up towards the surface and saw a huge ship pierce through their skies. They waited motionless for it to pass.
After a few moments a barracuda burped loudly and the entire party burst into laughter as the clown fish band began to play, the octopi danced, the blowfish drank their ink, the barracudas wrestled each other, the sardines served more grub and the sea lions sang to themselves as they looked at the beautiful endless scenes laid out in front of them.
 

© 2012 Mark J Lombardo


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

317 Views
Added on November 23, 2012
Last Updated on November 23, 2012
Tags: ocean, sea, story, fun, party, dining, feast, royalty, humor, fish, funny, kids

Author

Mark J Lombardo
Mark J Lombardo

Albany, NY



About
I like the short and bizarre. I am also a musician known as Titanics. more..

Writing
Pulse Pulse

A Story by Mark J Lombardo