The Beauty of a Child's Mind

The Beauty of a Child's Mind

A Story by Tony DM Hayward
"

When it's a boring unproductive day what do you do..? You let your imagination go wild.

"

Four young kids decide to go and play out on the beach, the day has been full of boredom for the kids and they hope to and a little fun to the afternoon. Including within the kids are three boys and one girl, all full of energy. The beach they are on are but a call away from their house, it’s a pebbled beach and the tide was far out by this point. The kids are all related to one another with only a few years between them all, they find themselves walking along the beach trying hard to think about what to do. It’s quite dark and gloomy outside, the clouds above are a heavy grey and cover the entire sky, it looks almost like it’s about to pour down with rain.

The day looks to be pointless, like there is no hope of ever finding anything to do around this neighbourhood. To anyone else they might have given up but to young children and these kids particularly, they could allow their imaginations to run wild, take any given situation and turn it around. That’s exactly what these kids did, the eldest kid bent down and grabbed a pebble, he then stood back up and looked to the sky. The boy tossed the pebble in his hand and then threw it very hard into the sky, to those who were watching you would expect the pebble to fall soon after. However this pebble continued to soar in the sky, gaining height as it went, higher and higher it went until it reached the clouds. The pebble burst through the grey clouds piercing a hole in the middle, through it the bight burning sun shone its light. There was now a beam of light shining down onto the beach not far in front of the kids.

The eldest looked over to his siblings who were smiling back; the girl who was second eldest crouched down and also picked up a pebble. She did the same thing by throwing up to the clouds until it left a second hole, getting with the program the last two boys who were twins both repeated what their brother and sister did by throwing a stone each at the same time. They all now began throwing stones up to the sky, so many holes were being made, they continued this until there were no clouds left in the sky and only the sun remained standing. With no clouds the sky shone with a bright blue and yellow sun, it warmed up the air and the day now looked as though it was the bright early morning.

The kids danced in a circle cheering to a sky, they acting like Indians in a tribe performing a tradition worship dance. The eldest took off running fast down the beach, his brothers and sister followed him as though in a running line up. Then suddenly the eldest stopped, his siblings did the same and joined him at his side, they stared in front at something amazing. In front of them they saw four abandoned racing cars just sitting on the beach for them, they wasted no time in getting in them and starting the engines.

Broom, Broom.

Off they went at full speed, each kid in their own racing car, faster and faster they pushed their limits. The eldest had a shiny blue one, the girl had a pink one, and the twins both had the same bogey green coloured car, all of them had matching coloured helmets. They raced each other, each getting no further than the other, then out of nowhere a meteoroid hit down. It was gigantic in size and it fell down right in front of the children, they had to swerve to avoid it. That wasn’t the only one to come down from space either, soon after another hit and then another until it was literally raining meteoroids, this was testing the kids talents, pushing them to the best of their abilities. Though this was happening it was no match for the kid’s professional and incredible driving skills, they dodged every single one of the meteors, phew they all thought, it was now over and they were all still alive. But then there was one more, the last one to hit fell right in front of the eldest boy. It hit so hard that part of the beach broke and lifted in the front of the meteor, it was too late to swerve around it so the eldest pushed down harder on the peddle and drove right up the lifted piece of beach like a ramp. Over he went until he landed safely on the other side.

The kids continued down the beach and eventually slowed down to a stop; they spotted a cave in front of them and agreed to explore it. There was no entrance on their side of the cave and it was far too big to go around it as it spread miles from the ocean line. They still wanted to explore the cave and being such expert rock climbers they decide to go over the top, off they went climber fast, each racing to see who can get to the top first. The girl was the winner followed seconds later by the eldest boy and then trailed the twins, at the top they could see all around and in front was a telescope to see further. Each took it in turns to look through the telescope and what they saw was the other side of the world, China to be exact, there were small China kids waving back at them. The kids looked around and finally it was the twins who found the entrance to the cave inside, a hole at the top was displayed in front of the kids. Before their eyes they saw the best way to enter a hidden cave, it was a water side going straight down the hole.

The eldest went first jumping straight down the slide, the twins next and then finally the girl. It was the best water slide ever they all thought, it had turns, twists and even loops. When they reached the inside of the cave neither of them were wet from the water slide, it was like magic. They looked around found the inside very small, especially for such a big rocky cave from the outside, in front was four powerful water guns lying on a rock and waiting for their arrivals. They grinned at one another and raced to get one each, as soon as their little finger wrapped around the water guns the cave wall began to shake and move. It opened up as a huge archway, forming a doorway back out to the beach. The kids ran forwards towards the exit until they were back outside again, the twins turned to face one another and then at the same time they turned back around and squirted their brother. He had a shocked look upon his face as the water was freezing cold, his sister just laughed at him. Noticing her laughter the eldest boy faced the gun at her and squeezed the trigger, giving the girl a blast of cold water. She too looked shocked now and the twins continued laughing throughout, the two oldest gave each other a look and at the same time got their own back on the twins.

From that moment on they raced off down the beach each trying to get one another with the water guns; no one was safe in this wild jungle as they hunted each other. They all got soaking wet by the end of it, in fact not a single spot was dry on their body, and their cloths were drenched and hung off of them all. They laughed at each other, now this was having fun they thought, but it was soon to be over. They began hearing their mother call out to them, it was apparent that their dinner was ready and awaiting them, just when they were getting started. The kids looked at each other and they all knew that they thought the same, they were sad that their fun was over. Looking around them they could see old rubbish, metal pieces and bars, and cardboard boxes scatted around the pebbled beach. They dropped the sticks they held in their hands and began to walk back home, all four of them were completely soaked from head to toe from the pouring rain overhead.

© 2013 Tony DM Hayward


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
Added on August 18, 2013
Last Updated on August 18, 2013
Tags: child, imagination, adventure