Eighteen Odd Years

Eighteen Odd Years

A Story by T. R. Writer

I paced the halls back and forth, scared, excited, a billion thoughts rushing through my head so loud that I couldn’t hear anything going on around me.

My heart was pounding so hard it felt like I was being hit with a sledge hammer with every beat. You should be in there, a voice from within whispered, while another said run and don’t look back.

I closed my eyes and put my hands over my ears trying to drown out those voices, but that only amplified them. Confusing thoughts caused me to lose control of my breathing, it came fast and shallow like there wasn’t enough air in the world to fill my lungs. I wanted to run out the door, but it felt like my feet had been bolted to the floor and like everyone was staring at me.

I felt like I was on trail, facing a life sentence with a pathetic defense attorney, a tenacious prosecutor and a jury that wanted to see me spend the next eighteen odd years enslaved to an unborn child.

Then the prosecutor came from around the corner and I expected to see a sickle in her hands and death on her face, but instead she presented me with a warm smile.

“It’s a boy. A beautiful healthy boy.” Suddenly, my heart began to slow, my breathing became more manageable and my feet felt less heavy. I was a dad now.  

© 2010 T. R. Writer


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I believe a birth of a child can mean different things for all people. I waited 35 years to get marry and start a family. I was ready. For a young person it would be very scary. Surprise babies leave a open door for the life of a young couple. A very good story. I like the ending.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

286 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 21, 2010
Last Updated on October 21, 2010

Author

T. R. Writer
T. R. Writer

Orlando, FL



About
Hello everyone! I am so glad I found this group. Writing can be such a lonlely life. Anyway, I have been writing since the 1st grade where I wrote and illustrated my first short story. I didn't ta.. more..

Writing