why do butterflies fly away

why do butterflies fly away

A Poem by Tori
"

I may add to this for a story I am writing, but for now I think it stand alone.

"

Why are the butterflies so afraid when they fly away? The beauty they behold is almost a curse. It is so tempting to just want to hold on and possess it over time. Even though it seems to easily fly away without a moment’s notice. They fly away with grace and leave no trace of its existence, but I know it was there and where it left its fingerprints. I watch as it flies further away; burning as it gets closer to the sun. It is traveling to a long distant place, somewhere I know I will never find. I take a moment to look down at the flower it was getting its nectar from.  A once beautiful flower, well it is still beautiful, but I know in the coming months coldness will strike. Destroying the beauty of the flower the butterfly has taken advantage of.

 I want to save you, but you know it’s best to leave. Just take my damaged heart. I tried to hold on, but my heart couldn't take the multiple wounds it was receiving, as you were no longer willing to stitch them up. You and I were afraid of what our love was doing to us. Afraid of letting each other go, something that was once so pure and beautiful. Now it was cold and slowly burning itself alive. You were so ready to go away. You just watched me rip my wings off. I couldn't even leave if I wanted to. I was so deep in this pit, I realized it was better that I was at the bottom. Your kisses could not even bring me back. I was petrified. Petrified at how I became so fragile and broken. I watched you fly away, further away from a future we both knew that was going to come. I alone had to deal with the coldness to come.  You were going to take advantage under a new sun. 

© 2013 Tori


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on November 17, 2013
Last Updated on November 17, 2013
Tags: butterfly, love, sun, flower, beauty, poem, prose poetry, young, life

Author

Tori
Tori

Erie, PA



Writing