Hidden in Death- Chapter Two

Hidden in Death- Chapter Two

A Story by M.K. Mason
"

After witnessing death, nothing has been the same. Something is different. The feeling of being followed is getting stronger each day. Why am I having these nightmares? Why am I seeing death in every

"

       Valerie and I spent most of the day driving around. We went to the mall and talked about how we are going to get matching tattoos to represent our friendship; just not any time soon. I don't mind just driving around when it is just her and I; we have the same taste in music so I let her play DJ while telling me where I'm driving next. We actually prefer to drive around town, listening to music and talking to each other more than being at home doing nothing. It is a great way to connect with someone in my opinion. After the mall, noticing that the sun was almost gone, we stopped to grab a quick bite to eat before heading to the club.

Once we get to the club doors, there are already a line of people waiting in line; even though we got here early, before the club is even supposed to be opening. I look over to Valerie with a confused look on my face. "Did you know that this club is this popular?"

She smiles back and me and even before she speaks I know what she is going to say. "Yes, I knew that it is popular. I picked this place on purpose; you need to have some fun and meet someone."

"Val... I don't want to meet anyone. I'm not interested in dating right now. I just want to focus on work and that's all." I say looking away from her towards the doors. "Why don't we go somewhere else and just enjoy some drinks together, just you and me?" As soon as I look back at her I see that she is now giving me an expression that I can't seem to read.

"Jade... you can't just keep to yourself for the rest of your life. You are twenty-five years old; it's about the time that you should be meeting Mr. Right and thinking about your future if you want family or not." I look away from her and down at my feet without saying anything which causes her to keep talking. "Do you really want to be alone for the rest of your life?"

"I don't know if I want to be committed to someone. I mean is it really possible that someone will love me for all the flaws that are shown all over my body. No one will go for someone that is scared inside and out." I say, grabbing her hand and pulling her away from the crowd when people start to look back at us. "Val, why are you trying to get me to be in a relationship when you aren't in one either? You know getting close to me is not smart. You know my past." When she doesn't say anything, I know that she now understands what I'm talking about.

"Okay, we can drop this now. I'm sorry that I brought it up. Lets still stay and still have some fun whether it's just dancing together or with other people." She says, still looking at me and then smiles when I nod my head in agreement to staying.

After a few moments of us talking, the doors to the club finally open. Valerie and I slowly file into the building with the rest of the crowd and then walk off to the side to get out of the way. "Hey, I'm going to go get us some drinks and meet you over in the corner booth." I tell her as I point in the direction of a booth that is unoccupied in the corner. After she nods in confirmation, I turn to walk away towards where the bar is, just as the music finally starts.

While waiting at the bar for the drinks to be made, someone walks over to the spot right by me and they sit down right on the stool that is just inches away from me. I can't get a good look at him since he is wearing a hood and staying hunched over. Just as I am about to grab the glasses off of the counter and leave; the person grabs my wrist, causing me to jump. Too scared to move, they hold my wrist long enough for them to finish saying something, even though I couldn't hear what the person said, and then they let my wrist go and go back to hunching over the counter. I quickly grab the glasses and move away from the strange person and back towards the booth.

"What took you so long?" Valerie asks when I get to the table and set her drink down in front of her. "Was the bartender flirting with you?"

"No... There was some creep that was probably thinking that he was going to get lucky." I say and then I sit down next to her. "Do why are we sitting anyways? I thought we came here to dance or something?"

"Well even though you are not here to meet a guy, I am here to meet someone and I plan on finding someone to leave here with." I look over at her, when I see that she is serious I start laughing. When she looks back at me with a dirty look, all it does is make me to laugh more and then eventually she starts laughing along with me.

*

A few hours pass, in those few hours, we ended up getting on the dance floor, danced together and then some guys ended up joining in. Things were going smoothly for a while, up to the point that Valerie hits her max on alcohol and not listening to me. I walk back over to the booth where we were sitting earlier and watch as she walks to the back rooms with a guy that she was dancing with. While I was sitting there I kept getting a strange feeling that I am being watched. As soon as I start looking around, I notice that there is a guy that is standing against the wall, close to where I am sitting, staring at me. He smiles at me and then starts to walk towards me; as he gets close, I feel my insides tighten like I can't breathe.

"Hey there baby, I noticed that you are sitting over here by yourself. Would you like some company?" He asks, stopping right at the table.

I stare at him for a brief moment before shaking my head no and getting out of my seat. When he doesn't move away from the table, I notice that he is still staring at me. "What do you want?" I ask, my voice coming off harsh without me meaning for it to.

"I was hoping to keep a pretty girl like you company while your friend is in the back trying to get lucky." He says, without breaking eye contact. "You have amazing eyes by the way; I don't think I have ever seen eyes that blue."

"Thanks..." I say while looking in the direction that Valerie disappeared to. The guy moves into my line of sight and smiles. "You can't take a hint can you? I'm not interested but thank you for the offer." I push passed him and start walking towards the exit while pushing passed other sweaty bodies. As soon as I get outside, I take a deep breath and exhale slowly; trying to relax.

"It's such a beautiful night isn't it?" I hear someone ask from right behind me, causing me to jump and turn around quickly. I let out a sigh in frustration when I realize that it is the same guy that was talking to me inside.

"Look, Dude, I am not interested in talking to you. I don't want you to keep me company; I am perfectly fine by myself. Now why won't you get the hint?" I say, a little louder than planned but it doesn't seem to faze him at all.

"Do you want to go for a walk, I promise no funny business." He asks, getting closer to me. As soon as he takes a step closer the guy collapses, falling right into me, causing me to stumble and fall back. Without hesitating, still in shock, I quickly check his pulse; only to not feel any kind of pulse. I open my mouth to call for help but nothing comes out. I look around and notice that there is no one around. Suddenly I hear the sound of a raven right above me, breaking the silence.

I hear footsteps coming from the right of me so I quickly stand up. "The raven barely makes an appearance in this town. They say she only shows herself when there has been a death." A strange voice speaks, a woman's voice coming from the shadows. "It is also said that she only follows someone if they are they have seen death, in themselves or others. So tell me, what is your story?"

"I... I... I don't know what you are talking about. I didn't do anything, he just collapsed." I stutter, trying to get the words to form.

"I didn't day that you did anything... Yet. However, I know that you have something dark within you; something that you can't explain. I can help you." The woman says as she is getting closer.

"What are you talking about? Why does it seem like everyone is going crazy tonight?" I grab my phone out of my pocket and start to dial 9-1-1. Just as I am about to hit call, the woman is standing right in front of me. Her hand is grasping my wrist, just like the stranger at the bar did, only this time everything around me starts to get fuzzy and distant. That last thing that I remember seeing is her hand on my wrist before blacking out.

© 2017 M.K. Mason


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
Added on February 18, 2017
Last Updated on February 18, 2017
Tags: #horror, #thriller, #fiction, #scifi, #supernatural

Author

M.K. Mason
M.K. Mason

Thornton, CO



About
I'm an aspiring writer hoping to find some feedback. I would love to get published one day just need the steps to get there. more..

Writing