Breaking Cliche

Breaking Cliche

A Story by Trebla
"

Alex's best friend, Mica, is getting married. In the midst of what is supposed to be the perfect day, he has to speak out.

"
“Okay, um, what the hell is that?”
    “Shut up, Alex, it’s rude to make fun of other people’s fruit…ah, decoration bowl things.”
    We snickered together until a disapproving look from Mica’s mom shut us up. After that, we became more subdued as the realization that the hour was nearly at hand bore down on us.
    I absentmindedly fixed Mica’s bowtie, and he smiled at me.
    “I’m so glad you made it to this,” he whispered to me, watching as the clumps of people scattered about the room began to take their seats. I smiled at him in return and slugged his arm playfully.
    “C’mon, man, I wouldn’t miss this for anything,” I told him, though there was a sinking in my stomach as I said it. There was no way I would ever miss this, it was true, but every moment was killing me. To think of her, smiling and laughing in Mica’s arms…
    I cut the thought short. I was not gonna ruin this moment for them just because I was a bitter a*****e, I told myself firmly. There would be plenty of time later to be heartbroken after this whole thing was finished.
    The lights dimmed, and the familiar music began to play. I gave Mica one last reassuring smile before turning and facing the back of the church. When this was all over, I promised myself, my reward would be a stiff drink and a blissful descent into oblivion.
    When she walked out of those doors with her father on her arm and a smile on her face, the whole room took a breath. Christina was beautiful on a day-to-day basis, but tonight, she positively glowed.
    She had chosen a simple dress with a modestly dipping neckline embroidered with tiny sequins that caught the light like tiny sparks from a match. She was all length and curves, with the dress exploding out at her waistline in a skirt that fell in waves to the floor. She had chosen not to wear a veil, instead selecting a small, flowered wreath gracing the top of her head. She looked the very essence of light and purity, and I felt my heart drop like a stone into my stomach. There was no way any man could resist her, so it was no wonder Mica had fallen for her. It was all a cliché love story, and me as the jealous b*****d whose life was ruined by it.
    I thought back to when the two had first met. I hadn’t been struggling with any of these…feelings, back then. Suddenly, Christina showed up, and my life fell into chaos.
    The familiar old flicker of jealousy sparked to life inside my chest. It was a struggle, but I forced it back down. I had to, if only for Mica’s sake. He was my best friend, I owed this much to him, at least. And yet, when they looked at each other like that, with only love and affection in their eyes, it was like a physical blow to the chest.
    Christina had reached the altar, and the vows had begun. Already, I could hear sniffles from the hoi polloi in the pews, friends and family who were simply overjoyed that this day had finally come to pass. I could barely stand to see them, so I turned my gaze to Mica instead.
    He looked so happy, so serene, that my stomach lurched at the sight. Why wasn’t I happy too? I thought bitterly. Why was I cursed to watch from afar, envious and miserable, as the happy couple made their vows, oblivious to the torture their friend was going through? I loved the two, but I couldn’t help the hopeless rage that welled up from inside me whenever the two were together.
    Wasn’t there something, anything, I could do?
    “If there is anyone here who thinks these two should not wed, speak now, or forever hold your peace.”
    Perfect. I stepped forward, to gasps and shocked buzzing from the peanut gallery. Taking Christina’s hands in my own, I looked her squarely in the eye.
    “Christina…” I took a breath. “I’m sorry, but I have to do this.”
    I turned to Mica. “Mica, I’m not telling you this because I want some kind of attention, or because I don’t genuinely want you to be happy with Christina. Believe me, if I had the restraint, I would step aside and let this all happen without uttering a word.” I chuckled darkly. “But I don’t have that kind of restrain, and so I tell you now that I’m doing this because I’m selfish. I’m a selfish, jealous b*****d for doing this to you on your wedding day.  Thought I could hold it together for you, but obviously I can’t.” Mica’s eyes were wide with astonishment, and I stared deeply into them as I told him, “I love you. I love you so much that it is physically painful to see you here now with Christina. Liking her has nothing to do with it- she’s gorgeous, she’s a perfect woman, any man would be blessed to have her- or the idea that I’d be better for you than she is, because we all know that isn’t true. I just…I needed you to know.” I paused, listening to the silence in the room. “I’m not asking you to forgive me, or to even choose me over her. I just…I wanted you to know…”
    The look on Mica’s face was breaking my heart. His eyes were wet with tears, and a kind of confused horror was on his face.
    I took that to be answer in itself, and so I nodded gravely to the two of them and took my leave, strolling casually down the middle of the aisle as if there weren’t a churchful of people staring down my back.
Outside, the world was strangely bright and cheerful, which was in stark contrast to the events that had just unfolded within the church. I felt a weight lifted off my shoulders, only to be replaced with a new one: the guilt of having ruined what was meant to be a perfect day for two people in love with one another. This day would forever be a black stain on their memories, a moment they would never be able to look back upon without some kind of resentment arising in their hearts against me and my selfishness. I deserved it, I supposed. After all, lust and homosexuality were both sins, weren’t they?
    I chuckled a bit bitterly at that thought as I started down to my car. The church was of the stereotypical tiny-white-and-on-a-hill kind, and attendees were forced to park at the bottom and trek up to the church. I was about halfway down it when I heard the sound of thumping feet behind me.
    I had just enough time to turn and be confused before Mica’s body collided with mine, throwing the both of us off balance and sending us nearly skidding down the hill.
    “Mica? What the hell are you doing?” I gasped, as his body had knocked the wind out of me. Mica’s eyes were a mixture of excitement, anxiousness, and worry as he slid off of me and onto the grass. I sat up and rubbed the back of my head where it had been banged off the ground on impact. I’d probably have a lump, I thought sullenly, because Mica couldn’t keep his energy contained.
    “You’re not supposed to be here,” I told him, confusion arising again as shock wore off. Mica bit his lip and shook his head.
    “No,” he answered. “I needed to be here…with you.”
    I stared at him blankly, and he pushed on. “Alex, I love you too. I’ve always loved you. I never said anything because…because I was afraid of what people would say,” he admitted quietly. “I was stupid, and look where it got us. I love Christina, I really do, but to see you there, ripping your heart out in front of a bunch of strangers and putting it on the floor in front of me…I’d rather die than have to watch you hurt like that again.” He was sincere, looking at me with those big eyes I’d always loved. I reached over and pulled him to me, kissing him fiercely as though to leave my mark there.
    “I love you,” I told him again, cupping his face with my hand. He leaned into it, beginning to sniffle again.
    “I love you too, Alex.”
    As we sat outside that church, making up for lost time, I thought of Christina as I had last seen her, tears streaming down her face, but a kind of knowing look in her eyes. I thought of all the parents, the friends, the strangers we had left behind in there. More than one would be disapproving, many would hate me for ruining the wedding and stealing away the groom. We would have a lot of problems and a lot of complications heading our way very soon.
    Nothing was perfect, nothing made sense, but I had Alex, and that was all I needed. 

© 2011 Trebla


Author's Note

Trebla
At last, an example of my work that isn't all darkness and mental instability. Took me long enough, I imagine. Most of my writing generally looks like this. Not too serious or thought-provoking, and I'm okay with that. Writing is about fun for me. If it were work, I'd find a new lifestyle choice.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
Added on June 14, 2011
Last Updated on June 14, 2011

Author

Trebla
Trebla

OH



About
Hey there! I'm Brynn, and I am hopefully going to be using this site to get my stories out into the open, and maybe build a bit of a reputation out there in the "real world." I've wanted to be an au.. more..

Writing
Beginnings Beginnings

A Chapter by Trebla


The Mermaid's Sea The Mermaid's Sea

A Chapter by Trebla