Like one of us

Like one of us

A Story by TriMara

You were on your way home when you died.

It was a simple car accident on your way home from work. Nothing remarkable. But nonetheless quite fatal. You left behind a wife and two kids. The EMTs did there job and tried to save you but it was in vain you had passed almost instantly.

That's when you met me."What... what happened?" You asked dreamily."Where am i?"

"Your dead." I said quite plainly and matter of factly. No point beating around the bush.

"I was coming home from work and there was this truck..."

"Yeah pretty much."

"I... I'm dead?"

"Yes. Don't fret over it though everyone dies eventually."

You looked around quizzical. There was nothing just you and me standing there."What is this place?"You ask dumbfounded."Is this the afterlife?"

"More or less." I remarked casually.

"Are... Are you god?"

"Yup." I say with a smile."I'm god."

"My life... My family. Will they be alright?"

"What about them?"

"Will they be alright? I mean without me."

"That"s what i like to see! You just died in a crash and your only concerned with your family." A smile spreading across my face."That"s a good sign right there."

You looked at me eyes wide with fascination. To you i didn't look much like god. Just a man... Or women, some vague authority figure. Like that nice Sunday school teacher from when you were a kid.

"don't worry." i said soothingly."Your kids will remember you as perfect in every way. They didn't have time to grow contempt for you. Your wife will seem devastated but secretly she is quite relieved. To be fair though i mean your marriage was falling apart and she will feel deeply guilty for being so relieved at your death."

"Oh."You were hurt but not obviously so."What happens now? do i go to heaven or hell or something?" You looked back around the empty white landscape.

"Neither my friend you will be reincarnated."

"Ahh so the Hindus were right than?"

"All religions are right in some way or another." I motion for you to follow me.

You followed along behind me through the void."So where are we going?"

"Oh nowhere in particular its just nice to walk and talk."

"So i just get reborn? A blank slate, all my previous experience means nothing than?" A tad annoyed.

"Not so!" i say with a wag of my finger."You have within you all the knowledge and experience of your past lives you just don't remember them right now."

I stopped walking and took you by the shoulders."Your soul is amazing beautiful and larger than you can imagine. The human mind can only contain such a small fraction of what you really are. Its like putting your finger into a glass to see if its hot or cold you put a tiny part of yourself in that vessel and when you bring it back out you gain that experience."I look into your awestruck eyes and say."You have been in a human for the last 48 years.You haven't exactly stretched out yet and felt your immense consciousness. If you hung out here for very long i am sure you would remember everything. But there is no point in doing that between each life."

"How many times have i come back than?"

"Oh more than you can imagine and many different kinds of lives." i said sweeping my arm out in a grand display of all the people you have been."This time around you will be a Japanese women in 540 A.D"

"Wait what?!" You stammer."Does that mean you are sending me back in time?"

"hmm well i guess technically to you i am. Time as you know it only exists in your universe where i am from everything is much different."

"Where.. You come from?"

"Oh sure. I come from somewhere.. Well lets just say somewhere else." I say with a shrug."There are others like me and i know you want to feel whats it like but you simply wouldn't understand."

"Oh." You were a little let down obviously."If i get reincarnated at various points in time couldn't i have interacted with myself at some point?"

"Oh sure happens all the time. But you are only aware of your own lifespan and thus you don't even know its happening."

"So whats the point of it all than?" It was a matter of time i thought until you asked that question.

I sighed."Seriously? oh well it was only a matter of time before that gem came up.You want to know the meaning of life than huh? Isn't that a little stereotypical?"

"its a reasonable question!" You said quite persistently.

"The meaning of life. The reason i made this entire universe. Is for you to mature." Your jaw slacked.

"You mean for mankind to mature?"

"No just you. I made this entire universe and did all this just for you. With each new life and each time you go back to earth you grow and become wiser."

"Just me? But what about my family? Everyone else?"

"There is noone else. Just me and you in the universe."

You just stared at me dumbfounded."But all the people on earth..."

"They are all you. Merely different reincarnations of you from various times."

"Wait what are you talking about? I am everyone!"

"Now your getting it!" I said with a congratulatory pat you on the back.

"I'm everyone who has ever lived ever?"

"Or will ever live for that matter."

"I'm Abraham Lincoln?"

"And your John wilkes booth." I added

"Wait a second does that make me hitler?"

"And your the millions he killed."

"Well does that make me jesus?"

"And you were all of his followers." At that you fell silent.

"Every single time you victimized someone. You were only hurting yourself. Every nice thing you have ever done you helped yourself. Any horrible thing or good thing you have ever done you have done to yourself. By any human ever or will ever was all you."

You thought in complete silence for many minutes.

"Why? Why have you done all this than?"

"Because someday eventually you will become like me. Eventually you will become like me you are my child."

"Whoa." You said incredulous."You mean i am a god?"

"No not yet you are like a small child or fetus.Once you have lived every human life in all history. You will have grown enough to be born and start on your own."

"So all this? Is just an..."

"Egg.Now your time has come to move onto your next life."

Within moments you were screaming in a room next to your mother.

© 2011 TriMara


Author's Note

TriMara
Please tell me your thoughts.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

33 Views
Added on March 11, 2011
Last Updated on March 11, 2011

Author

TriMara
TriMara

Morden, Southern Manitoba, Canada



About
Average guy who loves to write and read. Will maybe fill this out more later. more..

Writing
Raven song Raven song

A Story by TriMara


My angel My angel

A Story by TriMara