Cursed Be The Damned

Cursed Be The Damned

A Stage Play by Peter Schal
"

a snippet view of a crime drama

"

Cursed be the Damned
by

Tyson M. Haynes

 

 

ACT 1

 

CHARACTERS:

 

Joshua, 16

Rebecca, 19

Jasmine, 24

Dr. Darcee, 33

The Gardener

The Florist

 

Setting:

The time is set in the mid-1990's, at a local coffee shop in downtown Orlando, Florida. It is a spring afternoon; a partly-cloudy sky adds a tranquil lighting addition to an otherwise slovenly shop. This scene takes place on a patio outside of a Starbucks. The mood is mildly busy, with few customers sitting around at metallic tables and drinking coffee while reading the local newspaper. Our character in the main scene is JOSHUA, a young amateur screenwriter typing up a storm on a large canary-yellow legal pad. He wears dark sunglasses to cut the glare. In the midst of all the mid-afternoon hubbub he is dutifully concentrated on his work. His wavy hair undulates in the small breezes. Presently REBECCA, Joshua's girlfriend, arrives.

 

(JOSHUA, quietly immersed in his work, talking to himself in a low voice)

 

JOSHUA: The man needs a habit....habit....but what kind of habit? Smoking - no, too generic.
(scribbles something on the legal pad)
Maybe a sexual addiction....no, no. That'll never make it through. A kleptomaniac? Pyrotechnnic? What does he---

(JOSHUA is abruptly interrupted when a woman's voice calls his name. He looks up, looks around. REBECCA approaches him, wearing large sunglasses, a turquoise halter-top, and shouldering an expensive Coach handbag. She smiles widely as she takes a seat opposite Joshua.)

 

JOSHUA: Hey, what's up, Becky? I really wasn't expecting you here.

 

REBECCA: Is that so? Then I should've come as quite a surprise, then.

 

JOSHUA: You sure surprised me. So how have you been?

 

REBECCA: (crossly) You'd think I'd be doing well, seeing that Marcus has left me for another b***h.

JOSHUA: (taken aback) What? You're kidding, right? I thought Marcus loved you --- well, now that I think about it, I'm not too sure he did.

 

REBECCA: Oh, he didn't love me. At all. He seemed to have eyes for that redheaded b***h from Australia; the stupid f**k. Marcus, I mean.

 

JOSHUA: (sipping his mug of coffee) Damn. I honestly don't know what to say.

 

REBECCA: Well, you don't have to apologize. As a matter of fact, you should be congratulating me. (claps hands together) I'm a free b***h now, baby! No holds against me! Ha!

 

JOSHUA: (smiling) You got that right, girl. Now you're just like me: livin' the single's life.

 

REBECCA: Yes, sir. And if that douchebag Marc wants me back after he's done with Miss Aussie S**t, he can just forget it!

 

JOSHUA: (laughing) Dang, Becky. You're a real trip.

 

REBECCA: Thanks, babe. Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll celebrate by buying a hot Moca Frappucino. (stands and departs)

 

JOSHUA: (calling after her) You do that! You deserve it, you know!
(looks back down at legal pad, thinking intently.)

© 2010 Peter Schal


Author's Note

Peter Schal
Comment!!! Please! This was begun not too long ago and I need your support! It'll get better, trust me. Its just a snippet view.

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
Added on June 3, 2010
Last Updated on June 3, 2010