How the Cat Got It's Purr

How the Cat Got It's Purr

A Story by UadaUnum
"

This is an origin myth I had to write for class. I like cats, so I thought I would write about them.

"

How the Cat Got It’s Purr




A long time ago, the sky used to be filled with thunderclouds. The Sky Spirit would cause the air to rumble overhead and threw lightning bolts down to Earth. All of the animals were afraid to go outside, in case they were struck by lightning.

One evening, Cat was putting on a party for her friends Mole, Hedgehog, and Badger. An extremely loud clap of thunder sounded and scared all of her guests. Hedgehog leapt straight into the air and landed on his back, smashing Cat’s antique coffee table. The Sky Spirit then sent down two bolts of lightning, setting her garden on fire.
“Alright, that’s the last straw,” yowled Cat.
She sent her friends home using the underground tunnels that Mole had made. Cat then made a plan.
The next day, Cat visited Eagle, one of the only creatures brave enough to sleep outside. Now Cat had to convince him to to take her to the Cloud Fortress of the Sky Spirit.
“Hey Eagle, you’re strong, right?” asked Cat.
“Well, of course I am. I’m the strongest bird in the world,” said Eagle, puffing out his chest.
“Are you afraid of anything, like...lightning?” whispered Cat.
“Haha,”laughed Eagle. “Why would I be afraid of a little bit of light?”
Cat smirked. “Thats good. Now you can take me to see the Sky Spirit.”
Eagle’s feathers drooped with fear. “Uh, I don’t know if I can do that. I have s-stuff to do today,” he stammered.
“If you don’t come, I’ll tell everyone that you are a liar,” snarled Cat.
Eagle was a proud creature, so he quickly agreed to take Cat to the Cloud Fortress. She clambered onto his back and Eagle took off and flew swiftly to the Sky Spirit’s home in the vault of heaven. Upon reaching it, Cat climbed off of Eagle’s shoulders and knocked on the door, which swung open silently.
A deep voice boomed across the entryway.” Who dares enter the home of the Sky Spirit!?”
“It’s Cat, and I have a bone to pick with you!” she yelled, bounding into the Fortress, and stopping right at the Sky Spirits large feet. “You’re lightning burned my garden to the ground, and you scare everyone with your constant thunder. We are all tired of it!”
The Sky Spirit pulled out a small glass jar filled with a cloudy grey liquid, and held it out for Cat to see. “Oh, you mean this thunder?” he asked rhetorically. Taking the stopper off, a great explosion of sound came out of the jar, temporarily deafening Cat. The Sky Spirit replaced the lid and started laughing at Cat’s confusion.
Infuriated, Cat jumped onto his lap and snatched the thunder-jar out of his hands and drank almost all of the contents before leaping down to the ground, the jug still held in her paws.
The Sky Spirit looked shocked.”How, how dare you steal my thunder!”
Cat clutched the jar closer and glared at him. “I’ll only give it back if you promise to do two things. One, you can only make a storm every once in awhile, so we animals can move about as we please. Two, the thunder and lightning must come together, and stay in the sky. All things considered, I think that’s pretty fair.”
“Fine fine, just give me back that jar,” mumbled the Sky Spirit, his hands outstretched for it.
Cat gave it to him and ran for Eagle, who had been hiding behind the door. She jumped onto his back and he glided back down to Earth. Badger, Mole, and Hedgehog gathered around them as Eagle told of how cunning and courageous Cat had been. Pleased with herself, she smiled, and a deep rumble sprang from her throat. Since then, cats have always been able to purr.

© 2012 UadaUnum


Author's Note

UadaUnum
I wrote this in half an hour, so it might not be that good. I'm also not too good with putting quotation marks in the best place.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it! It's cute and compared to some of the stuff on this site very light hearted and humorous. Nice job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


UadaUnum

11 Years Ago

Thanks!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
1 Review
Added on September 14, 2012
Last Updated on September 20, 2012

Author