"Why are wars fought?"

"Why are wars fought?"

A Story by Blackheart

“Papa, I want to ask you something” she said. “Sure. Anything.” I said with a smile. “Why are wars fought?”  For the first time, I was quite stumped. Indeed, I thought for some time, why were wars fought? And how do you explain the reason to a 7 year old kid?  “Umm...” I cleared my throat. “You see Simi, in your cartoons; there are bad guys and good guys, right?” I said. “Like in Chotta Bheem?” she said, her eyes lighting up. “Exactly!” I said.”You see, like Chotta Bheem punishes the bad guys and teaches them a lesson, sometimes we also have to do the same. So that, everyone is safe and happy.  And the bad guys do not come at night to scare you.” I lifted my hands up, made a ghostly appearance and started tickling her. She laughed as I grabbed her and gave her a kiss.


The countryside was warm and beautiful. It was almost autumn and thus, the trees were starting to get a tinge of auburn. Leaves were beginning to fall, marking another lifetime fading away. A reminder that what comes to this realm, has to leave it someday as well. This was my favorite spot in our small hometown of Manali and we came here quite often to have private, family picnics together. And here I was, yet again, amidst the lap of nature, with the two greatest gifts god bestowed upon me.

“Sandwiches!” I heard Ruhi and turned around to see her near the opened dickey of the car, waving a piece of sandwich, grinning. She was indeed, the most beautiful thing I had gazed upon. I waved back at her and told her to bring them down over here. Simi, meanwhile, was busy playing with a beetle she somehow found in the grass.


“Ah! Father and daughter conspiring something again, and I end up doing all the work hmm?” Ruhi said as she opened the Tiffin box to take the sandwiches out.”No maa, I was just asking papa about wars” said Simi trying to defend me. My wife gave a quizzical look and I winked at her and said “It’s just like how Chotta Bheem fights against the bad guys right?” Ruhi merely smiled, but said nothing. Sandwiches and pastries were passed, which was followed by a game of snakes and ladders. It really was one of the best days of my life.


“Okay! So, I have fixed the tripod and I have also adjusted the timer to ten seconds. So when I say cheese, you know what to do right girls?” “Yes sir!” they both said in unison and we all fell into a fit of laughter. “Okay okay, now let’s go over there” I said after the laughter died down. I always carried a camera around in these occasions. Because, I am always in the uncertainty, as to whether I would get the chance again to cherish them. *click click* Some great photos were taken.


A few days later,


The inevitable had finally happened. Pakistani forces somehow crossed the LOC and ambushed an Indian military convoy, which was taking essential military supplies and weapons to the soldiers situated at Kargil. The whole national structure went helter skelter by this incident. Top ranked officials were busy behind closed doors, debating what retaliation procedure was to be taken. Some suggested a peaceful discussion with the Pakistani political council, while the majority had one sentence to say, “If war is what they want, then they shall have it!”


I was well aware of all these events and I was trying as hard as everyone, to predict their next move. It was 7 am and I was sipping my regular cup of green tea while flicking through the newspaper. I really despised media. Telling us what they wanted us to know, showing us what they wanted us to see. Gone were the days of unadulterated, unbiased information. Now, almost any story was modified, if a few bucks were exchanged. Everyone could be bought, after all.


Ruhi came to the veranda slowly. I sensed that she just woke up, her eyes were still dizzy. “Hey! Good morning.” I beamed up. “Good morning soldier.” She smiled and said lazily, something I longed each morning to hear.

The phone rang and we couldn’t continue more. “Yes!” I answered to the speaker. “Jai Hind sir!” the voice said. “Jai Hind. What’s the matter?” I said, quite alarmed. “Sir, a group of Pakistani soldiers blew up a fuel depot, situated some 30 kms from Kargil in the wee hours today. 16 of our jawans were killed” the voice said. “And what about them?” I asked, frowning. “One of them was gunned down. The rest four took advantage of the dark and fled into the forests. Sir, you are requested to contact HQ for further instructions” the voice said. “Acknowledged” I said and put the receiver down. I knew what this meant. Ruhi was as worried as I was. “Is it…” she began. “Yes, it is” I said breathing deeply. I brushed past her as I said “This country is at war”


“What are my orders, sir?” I asked my commander-in-chief. “Major, you are to rendezvous with your company and assist the 168 Field Regiment. They were sent as a recon party, but now they are stuck in a small village situated about a 2 hrs drive from the city of Drass. They are surrounded by enemy personnel, and they are low on men as well as ammo. They say you’re the best man for the job so; you are to report at Kargil by 1200 hours. Your company will be ready there. Do you copy?” “Yes sir! I copy that” “Any questions?” he asked. “No sir!” I said. He put the receiver down and I felt the cool breeze blowing on my face. And I closed my eyes, trying to get lost. Somewhere.


I packed my clothes and essential belongings after dinner, as Ruhi stood in the doorway, looking at me. I knew she was worried, tensed and sad. Why wouldn’t she be? But I also knew that she understood me. She understood my duty towards my nation. She adored and respected me for that. “Where’s Simi?” I asked. “Asleep” Ruhi said. “Listen umm…don’t worry too much. I will call you whenever I get the chance okay?” I said cupping her face with my hands. I hugged her and kissed her forehead. “Just take care of yourself and Simi” I said. “And you take care of yourself soldier. I am proud of you. Always. I will await your return” she said. “I will, I will” I said, fighting back tears. This was a promise not everyone got to keep.


Next morning, I was back in my uniform and was ready to leave. “Papa! Please don’t go!” Simi said, tears streaming down her face. “Forgive me sweet, but papa has to teach the bad guys a lesson, just like Chotta Bheem. Remember?” I said to her, kissing her cheek. “No…please Papa!” she pleaded again. “I will be back soon. And I will bring a big teddy for you too” I said, trying to cheer her up. “I will forgive..you only..when you bring my teddy” she said in-between tears. “Okay darling! You wait for me”. “Take care, you too” I said to both of them as I left home and ventured into the battlefield. “Take care too, Major” Ruhi said.


I was in Kargil by 1200 hours and I straightaway met my CO. He gave me detailed intel about the situation at the village. My company was already present outside and after equipping ourselves, we were on our way to the warzone. It was time to answer the call of duty.  

The village was situated at a distance of nearly 45 kms from Kargil. We decided to disembark a few kms earlier, cover the rest of the distance by foot and flank the militants from two positions, by dividing the company into two groups. As we approached the village, we could hear the sound of gunfire in repeated successions.  The civilians were extracted, so that was a relief. We reached our destination and under my order, two teams were made and we embarked towards the village, taking the jungles as cover. I and my team reached the small three story building, the only tall structure in the village, where the Regiment was holed up. Amidst covering fire, we went inside and I met the lieutenant, who was shot on his knee and was in extreme pain. There wasn’t any medic to take care of his wounds. “What’s the status here lieutenant?!” I asked, as I treated his wound with my medical supplies. “It’s bad, sir. They’re everywhere! Ahhh!!” he screamed in pain as I tried to separate the splinters from his flesh. “I got it, I got it!”I said, trying to calm him down. “They’re attacking all the villages..downhill” he said gasping for breath. “Killing innocents. Children. Women.” He said, painfully. “Don’t worry; we’re here to assist you. Evac will arrive soon”


“Sir, I see more incoming!” one of my men said. “Let’s give them hell!” I said gazing towards the horizon. Taking my binoculars out, I looked towards the horizon to see almost 50 enemy soldiers charging towards us. There was a jeep with a mounted machine gun following closely behind. I realized the odds were stacked up high against us. I gave the soldiers orders and instructed them their respective positions. The enemy didn’t know we were here, so we still had a small element of surprise. The wounded were relocated to a safe place. And we waited. I could see a few stars popping up in the sky.


The first one was dropped down by my excellent sniper and a few others were successively killed by intensive firing from our side. Something, they weren’t expecting. The fight went on for almost an hour. I saw my brothers dying right in front of me. Butchered like animals. I was just about to run and grab one of them, when I felt a vibration, like an earthquake and in a split of a second, the wall behind me collapsed and fell right atop me. Somewhere far away, I heard someone screaming “Mortar!” and the world dizzied away as if time slowed down. And then I was knocked out.


I regained consciousness a few minutes later and I felt a surge of pain travel through my body, leaving me screaming in agony. I tried to move the concrete blocks and somehow crawled my way out. I looked around and saw a dead body nearby. Wasn’t sure who it was. I tried to stand up, but I couldn’t. I could feel a few broken bones, here and there. A sudden warm felling somehow got my attention and I looked down, to see blood trickling out. I was…shot. I fell face flat, gasping for breath. With trembling fingers, I went inside my pocket and took out a photo of me, Ruhi and Simi. It was taken on that day, when we went to our private picnic. I cried, as I kissed the photo and placed it upon my chest. The only thing I was sad about was that I failed in keeping Simi’s promise. I couldn’t bring that teddy home.


The only thing I was sad about was Simi not forgiving me.

© 2016 Blackheart


Author's Note

Blackheart
Most of you might complain, that this story was long. But I tried my best to short it out, as much as possible. Believe me people. :D
Thank you for your patience while reading this. Comments/reviews/suggestions/corrections/critique are always welcome in any manner. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

'Gone were the days of unadulterated, unbiased information. Now, almost any story was modified, if a few bucks were exchanged.'

Apt description of the 'paid media' !

I didn't think it was long at all - all the details were necessary to the build-up and to the tragic conclusion.

The ambush and skirmish action are well portrayed, with background to the incident.

Beginning with the family man trying to explain war to his children, and then as a soldier facing the deadly reality - no child's play.
I like the use of first person in this narrative - one is put in his shoes to that dying breath:

'The only thing I was sad about was that I failed in keeping Simi’s promise. I couldn’t bring that teddy home.'


Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Solar

8 Years Ago

You are welcome - perhaps a follow-up could be the effect on his wife and kids?
Blackheart

8 Years Ago

Umm..haven't decided anything about that yet. Let's see though. If I do, I would really love to know.. read more
Solar

8 Years Ago

Definitely will do so - please keep me updated with read request !



Reviews

Blackheart's heart is anything but black, as this story aptly shows. A beautifully crafted story that shows the true cost of war. Some of the lines I particularly enjoyed:

"I really despised media. Telling us what they wanted us to know, showing us what they wanted us to see."
So true about the popular media.
"'Forgive me sweet, but papa has to teach the bad guys a lesson, just like Chotta Bheem. Remember?'"
Oh yes, I remember...
"I looked around and saw a dead body nearby. Wasn’t sure who it was."
This line heightens the realism for me somehow.

A real grandslam, Blackheart. I felt for your protagonist.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Blackheart

8 Years Ago

I am so glad you liked this Takeshi. And I don't know if my heart is black, or maybe it's just in va.. read more
I can tell a lot of thought and effort has gone into this story. Well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Blackheart

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much Poet Face.
It is not one word too long. It was absolutely necessary for the development of your storyline and characters.
Poignant...heartbreaking really except mitigated by the fact that such love existed at all. That love is the legacy, and he will remain in their hearts a hero eternally.
What is harder to forgive is fate itself for structuring destiny in such a ruinous way.
This is very VERY good.
You have a gift for this, take it and run. I will say I knew you when, when you are published and famous.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Blackheart

8 Years Ago

Oh my god! You flatter me softlyfall. I am so glad you loved this story. The length of it quite bugg.. read more
I loved it...it made me cry....well done....really excellent write...wonderful sad story...BRAVO..do not worry about length....you told a great story...keep writing dear

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Blackheart

8 Years Ago

Thank you Ellen. I am glad it lived up to everyone, despite being so long. I am glad you loved it so.. read more
.....I am crying right now. I was not expecting to weep while reading this. Way to go. This is beautiful and you do a wonderful job setting up the characters and the narrative. This is so tragic, I cant believe I am actually crying right now, you are awful but in the best way because a good writer can evoke strong emotions with words, so I commend you for that, even though my soggy keyboard does not. haha

And here I was, yet again, amidst the lap of nature, This is beautiful. And if I were to be honest for a moment, I might start watching Chotta Bheem. Haha I love the references to it.

SNAKES AND LADDERS IS ONE OF THE OLDEST GAMES IN THE WORLD! I studied it for my novel I'm writing but am not allowed to share! I love that you mentioned it!

I dont think the stars are necessary around click click, you could italicize them and then leave a comma afterward and readers will get the idea, it's just like swick swick. :) :P hehehehehe

//Gone were the days of unadulterated, unbiased information.// PREACH! I hate the news it is so hard to find unbiased articles, even, sometimes, on the internet!

Everyone could be brought, after all.>>I think you mean everyone could be BOUGHT after all?

//The rest four took advantage of the dark and fled into the forests.// Could you explain fore took to me or is it a typo?

You have Ruhi saying Papa please dont go, is that supposed to be Simi?

This is a wonderful narrative. I would suggest using shorter sentences when writing the action parts. Well done, Blackheart. Well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zyle Christian William Cook

8 Years Ago

And I was so upset that I was crying! hahaha
Blackheart

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for understanding everything I write mate. I truly appreciate that. And I think, s.. read more
Zyle Christian William Cook

8 Years Ago

Yeah! I agree with you!! :)
'Gone were the days of unadulterated, unbiased information. Now, almost any story was modified, if a few bucks were exchanged.'

Apt description of the 'paid media' !

I didn't think it was long at all - all the details were necessary to the build-up and to the tragic conclusion.

The ambush and skirmish action are well portrayed, with background to the incident.

Beginning with the family man trying to explain war to his children, and then as a soldier facing the deadly reality - no child's play.
I like the use of first person in this narrative - one is put in his shoes to that dying breath:

'The only thing I was sad about was that I failed in keeping Simi’s promise. I couldn’t bring that teddy home.'


Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Solar

8 Years Ago

You are welcome - perhaps a follow-up could be the effect on his wife and kids?
Blackheart

8 Years Ago

Umm..haven't decided anything about that yet. Let's see though. If I do, I would really love to know.. read more
Solar

8 Years Ago

Definitely will do so - please keep me updated with read request !

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

512 Views
7 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 9, 2016
Last Updated on February 9, 2016
Tags: love, country, family, India, martyr, soldier, sacrifice, death, life

Author

Blackheart
Blackheart

Tezpur, India



About
Trying to understand the meaning of life and everything around by using words and creating something unique out of them. A heavy metal fan. Quite weird. Ambivert. Read/follow my blog at WordPress: .. more..

Writing
My ashes My ashes

A Story by Blackheart