The gift from heaven

The gift from heaven

A Story by Uesugi
"

A short story following on from my earlier piece, the counsel

"

The gift from Heaven

 

The sun split the sky with a radiant bright orange, reflecting upon its surroundings and opening up the delights of the world to the day. The sky became steadily brighter, turning from its tinge of indigo to lighter hues of blue, and washing the clouds with that tinge of pink that was so evident of a beautiful sunrise.


It was upon this scene that Tokugawa Ieyasu surveyed the landscape around him, the rolling grass fields intermittent with small villages that had been deserted. The colours of the world had begun to wake up and highlight to Ieyasu the full surroundings he had seen as of last night. Flecks of grey wisped into the sky from the still smouldering castle of Marune, recently subjugated by Ieyasu’s forces though this did not mar the scene in Ieyasu’s eyes, only adding a shimmer of glory as a backdrop to this potential artwork.


Ieyasu turned back to his troops, inspecting the dismantling of his maku, as his hemp sheets were folded and packed away by his surrounding attendants and ashigaru. He was inpatient, eager to begin moving forward and claiming any potential success before the main Imagawa army caught up. He knew his position, a young vassal with a young band of followers, held on a short leash by the power in Sunpu. Any notable success in this war would give him more freedom to exercise his own actions, giving him more power and position in Sunpu. The experience of a major campaign for him and his vassals would also put them in a good position for any future chances that may befall them. He longed to be free of the Imagawa chain, though at the moment he could see no way of openly defying Imagawa Yoshimoto, without his clan being destroyed. The Imagawa force for this campaign was mighty, some said around forty thousand men, the Oda opponents could not face them with a tenth of that size.


Ieyasu had just completed a council of war, his generals conferring with him and agreeing that maintaining the advance upon Kiyosu, Oda Nobunaga’s stronghold, should be the task undertaken by them. This meeting had been arranged due to the reports of the night before, having trickled in from the main Imagawa army, about clashes with the Oda clan forces during the night, though no orders or any definitive information had been provided. Ever the optimist, Ieyasu hoped to move fast in the hopes of capturing Kiyosu while the main Oda army was in the field, entertaining the Imagawa army. 


Ieyasu turned to his leading generals,


‘Commence preparations, I want to be on the move in ten minutes; tell the men well done for last night’s success, and that I expect equal honour gained for the Tokugawa clan during today’s proceedings.’


His generals bowed and began moving towards their retinues, all men armed and garishly coloured in varying Haramaki armour, each with more distinctive helmets carried by their bearers. His retainers Uma-Jirushi hanged limp in the light breeze, though the ornate shapes and colours could still be distinguished.


Ieyasu turned to his page Honda Tadakatsu,


‘It’s time I prepared, please dress me’


Tadakatsu bowed to Ieyasu, he left and then returned with Ieyasu’s armour, an Okegawa-Do style suit, richly inlaid with bright leather colours. This he placed over Ieyasu’s silk suou jacket and hakama trousers, and laced tightly into place. He further laced his O Sode shoulder guards, haidate thigh guards and shinosuneate leg guards. Finally covered, Tadakatsu placed on his master his bright Jinbaori, resplendent with the Tokugawa Mon on the triple hollyhock.


‘Honda, what is your opinion on the Oda?’


Tadakatsu, taken aback by his lord’s question was surprised to be asked his opinion


‘My lord, I do not think I am sufficiently skilled to give an opinion on this, you are much more wise in discerning this; however, though the Imagawa believe that this war is all but won, I believe the Oda are strong fighters and the people seem willing to fight hard for their lord’


Ieyasu nodded to Tadakatsu, who with this gesture was given leave to return to his own preparations. Ieyasu had been secretly thinking the exact same thing. The Oda samurai seemed unwilling to join the much stronger side and were ready to fight for their lands. This was clearly not just a sense of Samurai honour, in that they were willing to die before being subjugated by an invading clan, as they seemed to fight tenaciously with spirit, a feature of a warrior class who believed that their Lord would deliver them a victory. With this in mind, the night’s reports popped up in his head again, niggling him in the back of his mind.


He gestured to one of his courier guards, resplendent in a bright red Haramaki with the symbol of go, the number five, clearly printed on his sashimono.


‘Seek out the Imagawa forces again and get a report of what went on last night. Search for signs of a pitched battle; take five men with you’


As his guard moved away it was this last point that was in the back of Ieyasu’s mind; what if the reports were not just skirmishes but a major battle, what if Nobunaga had been defeated. Kiyosu would be open for him to take. What if Imagawa Yoshimoto had been defeated?


Ieyasu put his thoughts to the side a turned back to his army, seeing that they were mostly ready to move out. Ieyasu mounted his warhorse and joined his Hatamoto, gesturing with his war fan for the force to begin the advance, he had sent out a sizable portion of his guards to act as scouts, investigating the area to the south east in the gap between him and the Imagawa main army.


Ieyasu noticed Hachisuka Gozaimen making his way through the Hatamoto towards him. The Imagawa general was supposed to be providing liaison between the two forces though they both knew he was here to keep an eye on Ieyasu. The fact that Gozaimen felt that he could approach Ieyasu without Ieyasu’s approval made him annoyed. Such was the lack of respect given to the Tokugawa clan.


‘Tokugawa, we should not advance too quickly before the main army, our presence is an advance guard, to protect the front of our forces.’ Gozaimen stated.


‘I know fully well the purpose of our force Hachisuka; however, do you wish me to hang back and be proclaimed a coward, the Tokugawa clan has only brave warriors’ Ieyasu retorted.


‘I would not believe otherwise’ adding slyly ‘the glory you shall gain for the Imagawa clan will please our lord’ with this he returned to his own men.


Damn Hachisuka, thought Ieyasu, his presence only adding a feeling of the chains wrapped around him by the Imagawa.


A deer, startled by the advance of the troops, sprang from its small copse, its dappled fur prancing through the lush grass. One of the samurai in the leading element gave a shout and led his horse in pursuit, hoping to prove his horse-archery skills. Birds still chirped in the trees and the sun had steadily risen to burn off the dew left by the heavy fog of the night before.


Only having travelled a few hundred metres ahead, it was this peaceful scene that was broken by several riders rapidly advancing towards Ieyasu himself. He noted the symbol of the Imagawa courier guards matched with his own courier guard he had sent out earlier. The horsemen slewed to a stop a few metres from Ieyasu and the two courier guards approached him, then dismounted. He gestured for them to fully approach him and report. They both bowed deferentially and the Imagawa warrior spoke up.


‘The Imagawa army has been pushed back, Lord Tokugawa, you are requested to immediately combine your army with the main force.’


Ieyasu nodded, releasing the Imagawa warrior, and gestured for his own courier guard to approach him closer. The Imagawa warrior quickly mounted and headed for Hachisuka Gozaimen.


‘How extensive is their defeat?’ Ieyasu questioned,


‘My lord, the Imagawa army has been heavily defeated, their forces split in all directions; Imagawa Yoshimoto is dead’


‘What happened?’


‘The Oda army attacked using the cover of the fog in the night, they broke into Imagawa’s headquarters and cut off Yoshimoto’s head, along with killing most of his Hatamoto. A large portion of the army was also killed with the rest dispersing.’


Ieyasu could not believe what he was hearing, and yet in the back of his mind he was not fully surprised, these Oda warriors were very ambitious. Yet the main point was of Imagawa Yoshimoto’s death. This unexpected outcome could destabilise the Imagawa clan, possibly providing Ieyasu with a glimmer of opportunity, shining before his eyes. He was not so cautious as to ignore this, he had resolved himself to snatch at it immediately.


The sound of multiple armed men, creaking saddles and the thud of heavy armour rocked by a horse, turned his attention to Hachisuka Gozaimen, who was riding up towards him.; he slewed his horse in front of Ieyasu, the rest of his men moving into the middle of Ieyasu’s hatamoto.


‘Lord Tokugawa, we must not waste any time. We must move our force to cover the main army.’


Clearly Gozaimen had also been informed of the extent of what had happened, his nervousness evident as he twitched his hands in the reigns of his horse.


Ieyasu turned to his page, ‘Honda, kill him’


Honda Tadakatsu momentarily looked surprised, but his loyalty to his lord made him react instantly. Gozaimen had not fully digested the implications of Ieyasu’s words, moving too late as his mind kicked in. He reached for his Tachi, gripping the hilt and pulling it from its scabbard, moments too late as Honda rode towards him and with an efficient thrust skewered his spear head through Gozaimen’s throat. The general lost his grip on his Tachi and slipped from his saddle, bright scarlet blood jetting into the air as the weight of his body pulled him from the spear. He gurgled and jerked on the floor momentarily and then lay still.


Meanwhile, a short sharp clash had erupted moments later as Ieyasu’s Hatamoto, understanding the implications of what had taken place in front of their eyes, drew weapons and clashed with the small band of Imagawa warriors, dispatching them through a dramatic advantage in numbers.


His Hatamoto turned to him, questions clearly racing across their faces, Ieyasu noting the ones who looked at him calmly, clearly understanding what was happening and looking into the future. He made a mental note to give these men greater responsibility.


‘Bring all our generals here now’


Several hatamoto rode off down the line, a few generals closest having already arrived, being drawn to the sound of the fighting. As each general arrived they noted the dead bodies on the floor, most notably Hachisuka Gozaimen, and turned to Ieyasu for explanation. To each one he stated that he would explain in a moment when everyone had arrived. Ieyasu dismounted and sat down on his campaign stool provided by one of his attendants.

When all the generals had arrived he addressed them,


‘We are returning to Hamamatsu right now. I want all the men to prepare to advance swiftly. I expect you to be ready for any eventualities. That is all. Sakai Tadatsugu, you will lead the advance.’


The generals looked like they wanted to ask more questions but Ieyasu rose from his stool, effectively ending the discussion. His generals had come to expect little insight into their lord’s mind, but they fully supported his actions, relying on his insight even though he was still at a relatively young age.


Even though Ieyasu kept his outlook calm, he could hardly control his excitement. For so long he had waited for his chance to break free from his constrictions and strive for the clan’s glory. Now he had set the ball rolling and he was determined strive hard on the course he had taken.


Ieyasu turned to one of his courier guards and gestured to Ishikawa Kazumasa to approach him,


‘Seek out Oda Nobunaga and arrange a secret truce. Bring him to the table and inform him that further discussions will take place; do not offer anything yet. Use discretion and guard this knowledge with your life’.

Kazumasa left to arrange his own journey, selecting a sizable contingent to join him.


Ieyasu turned away and momentarily indulged himself by wistfully remembering that night long ago, sat in front of Sessai the monk on that balmy night, vowing in front of the clear moon that he would act when the moment was right. All that patient waiting was now bearing fruit, and the time was right to propel the Tokugawa clan as the major power brokers in the region, no longer would he, Tokugawa Ieyasu stoop to other men.


He remounted his horse and surveyed the sunlit landscape around him. A samurai returned to the ranks, dragging a deer, an arrow pierced in its hide. He himself had guided the Tokugawa arrow clear and steady towards its own course, Ieyasu’s destiny its perceived target.

© 2016 Uesugi


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hey, it's pretty cool. I like how you bring in history and cultures that people don't typically think of when they're writing. Though of course I don't have much knowledge of it and thus can't provide any practical advice, but it looks good to me.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Uesugi

7 Years Ago

Thanks a lot, I love this area of history!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

217 Views
1 Review
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 15, 2016
Last Updated on November 15, 2016

Author

Uesugi
Uesugi

Aby, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom



Writing