Passion in the twilight

Passion in the twilight

A Story by Uesugi

Passion in the twilight

 

The cool night air washed over the courtyard, fighting for control of the temperature with the many embrasures, that emitted its burnt orange glow, sparks and smoke wafting into the air, and providing the crowd, who were slowly making their way into seating places, with a balmy mood in which to enjoy the night’s entertainment.


Sugi Yorimasa made his way through the gateway coming upon this scene, as he hastened from his own men’s preparations. He had endeavoured to take his time, picking out his best mint green kataginu and matching hakama trousers, tied together with a red and gold silk obi belt. He wore his most ornate scabbard for his katana, inlaid with mother of pearl. He was flanked by two of his retainers, his close friends Kurogawa Daichi and Sato Takeshi.


‘We’re late Yorimasa, quick, let’s find a place to sit’ Takeshi exclaimed,


‘Calm down Takeshi, Lord Takeda is not even here yet, we have lots of time’ Daichi responded, grasping his swords closely, the calm looking man strode into the compound followed by the other two. Kurogawa Daichi, a studious man, was never flustered in any situation, calmly going about his business sure in the knowledge of his own capabilities. Sato Takeshi, however, was quite a bit more hot headed, a powerful man, Takeshi was clearly the warrior of the group, and as so tended to yield to his emotions more than the calm Daichi.


Yorimasa attempted to scan the growing throng of people who had taken their seats, though he could not identify the person he was looking for, with a waving Nishina Morinobu gesturing for them to sit next to him.


‘Nishina, I didn’t see you at the conference earlier?’ Yorimasa questioned,


‘Father had arranged other tasks for me, he still does not think me capable of providing greater service’ Morinobu replied, a crestfallen look appearing on his face, though his youthful ebullience did not maintain it for long.


‘Tonight’s festivities should be good, I myself have been preparing the display’ he continued excitedly.


Yorimasa looked where Morinobu was gesturing and admired the large platform to the front of the crowd. The platform was square shaped and had a pagoda over the top, evident of most Noh stages. The crowd surrounded it in a semi-circular fashion, and Yorimasa noted that all the major samurai and their families of the Takeda clan had been invited to the nights festivities, the night before the Takeda would march out on campaign.


By now most of the people had taken their places and were quietly conversing amongst themselves, waiting for the night’s proceedings to begin. Yorimasa saw Obu Shigemasa across the crowd and put his hand up to him. Shigemasa, still looking a little worse for wear from the previous all night’s sake rampage waved back.


The dull murmuring of the crowd’s conversation was interrupted by the sharp banging of a drum in the corner of the courtyard. To this sound, lord Takeda himself entered the courtyard via the doors to his own great mansion, accompanied by his own family, they were resplendent in the finest silks, in varying multiple colours, the Takeda mon being displayed by one of his attendants as well as his Uma-Jirushi displaying the well-known motto of Fūrinkazan. The crowd bowed to their lord and he gestured for the night’s entertainment to begin.


The Noh actors made their way on stage and the shrill music of the flute and thud of the drum intertwined with the chants of the singers and the placed steps of the Noh actors. This first play was the famous Funa-Benkei, though Yorimasa was not concentrating on the play.


His mind was mulling over the discourse of the conference earlier, as he thought that the Takeda were underestimating the Tokugawa. The Takeda generals were brash and confident, powerful warriors they had conquered all, but he knew that though the Tokugawa were a new clan, their leader, Tokugawa Ieyasu was a shrewd tactician, and his ally the mighty Oda Nobunaga was sure to come to his aid. With this knowledge he knew that in some point in the future a major battle would take place. Not that he had any worries of his own clan’s leadership, Takeda Shingen in his opinion being the greatest general and leader he had ever seen.


In a rare moment Yorimasa turned back to the play, watching the costumes of the men and the throated singing of the actors. Everyone seemed to be enjoying the show as he scanned the crowd, the thought of deep black hair blowing in the wind once again occupying his memories; he hoped she was in the crowd, and furtively glanced around in the hopes of seeing her. Being towards the back he could not see very well and gave up, brooding on when he would get his chance to see her again, hopefully talk to her this time. Just remembering her made his mind swirl, as her memory intoxicatingly occupied his dreams.


The loud drumming and singing came to an end, signifying the end of the first half, as Yorimasa was pulled from his reverie. From the look upon Morinobu’s face he realised that it was going well.


‘Morinobu, why aren’t you sitting with your family?’


Morinobu, taken aback, smiled back at him, ‘I thought I would enjoy the proceedings more with my friend, plus father never notices whether I am with the family or not’ he said with a mischievous grin.


Yorimasa laughed, observing the crowd as servants brought sake for the members to enjoy. He accepted a cup and enjoyed the warmth of it as he drank. His friend Anayama Nobukimi had taken a position in the front of the crowd with his lords blessing and was now signalling that he would arrange a Kyōgen interlude. He spotted Yorimasa from the crowd and cried out,


‘Yorimasa, come be a part of the kyōgen!’


Yorimasa shook his head, no wish to make a fool of himself, he was nevertheless pushed forward by Morinobu, whose mischievous grin was once again occupying his face. Yorimasa, already now stood up with the closest people around him watching, relented and made his way over to Nobukimi. Morinobu also joined the two and Nobukimi whispered what he would do with them.


Yorimasa’s job was to play the bumbling retainer of the Daimyo, naturally played by Nobukimi, Morinobu the monk he had come to see to be blessed.  Yorimasa, determined to give a good account of himself under the watchful eyes of his lord, used every trick, tripping Nobukimi over, knocking him with his sword when he was down, turning to the crowd and salaciously misinterpreting Nobukimi’s words to them. When they had run out of tricks to utilise, the three turned to the crowd amidst its laughter and bowed, earning a rapturous applause and shouts from the male members of the crowd.


It was at this moment, while Yorimasa was standing on the front of the platform laughing with his friends over his performance that he caught a sight of her, Sanada Aiko.  She was staring directly into him, studying him with interest as she saw a new side to him, she smiled at him with that bright impish look that captured his attention;, He smiled back at her as wild emotions raced across his mind, once again admiring her looks. Realising he was staring at her in front of the crowd, he quickly turned away before they understood, and made his way off the stage with his friends. Morinobu was gestured to come back and sit with the main family, much to his annoyance, as Nobukimi told Yorimasa to come sit with him.


Yorimasa was not in the least bothered as his new sitting position was close to Aiko, giving him a clear view to watch her. As un-noble as this was, Yorimasa was too caught up in his emotions to care.


‘I think I should meet Sanada Yukitaka in the morning and pay my respects to him and his family’ Nobukimi suggested pointedly ‘You will, naturally, be with me’ he added as Yorimasa whipped his gaze back to Nobukimi. He laughed, thanking his friend and suggesting it was indeed a good idea.


The second half of Funa Benkei had begun and the crowd had settled down, enjoying the story. Most of the story was now lost upon Yorimasa as he had greater interests elsewhere, his sight marvelling at Aiko’s features, how beautiful she was. The play was nearing its end when Aiko herself turned he attention away from the stage and looked right back at Yorimasa. She playfully smiled towards him and all he could do was smile back, excited joy bubbling within him, her smouldering eyes sucking him in as if he was caught amidst a whirlpool. The play ended and she returned her attention back to the actors and her family. It was only a short moment but the look between the two meant a huge deal to Yorimasa, he had become deeply in love with her and could not get her out of his mind.


Lord Takeda had now stood as the crowd bowed to him, and once again he left with his family into his mansion. At this the crowd began to disperse through the gate as well, Nobukimi saying goodbye to Yorimasa and joining his family and retinue he left. Yorimasa himself met back up with Daichi and Takeshi, Takeshi mumbling to Daichi that Nōh was not exciting enough, it, in his opinion, needed more of a martial display. The three men slowly made their way through the streets back to their living quarters, Daichi and Takeshi talking to each other, while Yorimasa wistfully stared at the moon, drinking in the night’s events and secretly brimming with hope for his secret tryst.


He already knew he could not wait till the morning, and understood the danger of attempting to see her again this night, the dishonour of trying to meet a woman without the families consent could be disastrous. However, he was steeled for the attempt and could not contain his excitement at the possibility of interacting with her. With the silver light of the moon guiding the three men’s way home, he knew it would also guide him to his heart’s desire later. 

 

© 2016 Uesugi


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
Added on December 5, 2016
Last Updated on December 5, 2016

Author

Uesugi
Uesugi

Aby, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom



Writing