My love.

My love.

A Story by KristaK
"

Read it, like it, love it, hate it, I don't care. Be warned that this is a sad one.

"

 I watched silently as the man with a cane walked down the isle in the center of the room before approaching the podium. When he got there the tears already stood in his eyes. He pulled a tissue out of his pocket and wiped them away before pulling out a piece of paper and starting to speak.

 

 

He told me of her life, when she was born, how much trouble she was always in as a small child. He told me a story about how she met a wonderful young man, and had married him. He ended with her death, tragic and sad, for she died by his car, in the driveway of his home.

 

A tear trickled down my cheek as I started to realize I would never really see her again. I loved her. She wasn’t just my friend, she wasn’t just my love, she was my life. I knew he wasn’t done with his speech, even though he had stopped talking. He looked down at his piece of paper, and let a tear fall upon the page.

 

He lifted his head and said to the room, “A tear has blotted the ink upon my page, just like I blotted the ink upon hers.” I knew he was sorry. He never meant to hurt anyone. His reactions were just slower now then they used to be.

 

I knew he still wasn’t done, but he couldn’t speak anymore. I stood from my place and walked up the isle. Passing by people of all ages who had come to say goodbye. I approached the podium, and held his hand. I said to him this, “Her life was short, but she had enough love in it for many people. That love counts for more than the years.”

 

Another tear trickled down my cheek as I leaned forward and gave him a hug. He whispered softly in my ear, so only I could hear “Thank you, and I’m sorry.” I closed my eyes, preventing the waterfalls that were just behind the lids from escaping. I took a step back from the podium, once more putting the spotlight on this man.

 

He started to speak again. As he spoke of the love that she gave, the thoughts that she carried, the accomplishments that made the world a better place, I began to slide out the door.

 

I walked alone along a hallway, down some stairs and into the room of the reception. In the farthest corner from the door there stood a table. Upon that table there rested flowers for her grave, and a picture.

 

I walked to the table and lifted that picture in my hands. It was small only 4” by 6”, but the love that was represented in that small space was enormous.

 

In her arms there lay a child, her child. Her daughters smile was big, her eyes bright. My love was smiling big, the way her heart seemed to pour out of this tiny picture. I felt the tears gathering in my eyes once again. I set the photo upon the table for others to see as someone walked up behind me and wrapped their small arms around my leg, giving me a hug.

 

I smiled and kneeled down. Her daughter stood before me. Her eyes were red with tears, her cheeks flushed and tear stained. I held my arms out and she fell into them resting her head upon my shoulder and saying to me with a shaky voice, “I want Mommy.”

 

More tears came rushing to my eyes, as I replied to her, my voice as shaky as hers, “Mommy’s gone.” I picked up my daughter, my only remaining piece of my love, and walked back up the stairs.

 

Together we sat upon a bench in the entrance hall, comforting each other as tears trickled down each of our faces. I made a vow, then and there, I would give my daughter everything I could and everything I had.

 

I opened my heart, like my love did, to the world and let it all pour out. The love I felt for her was now in the world, right where she would have wanted it.

© 2008 KristaK


Author's Note

KristaK
Hope you enjoyed it. There was a video that inspired it, I suggest you watch it. It's a very good video, and it's not that long. www.dashpoemmovie.com

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

there is nothing really to critque you about this poem, for it is fine the way it is. Anyone who gives you a critque should just stop their typing. I feel the pain that you right as if it is my love that has been lost to the world..oh wait that did happen ehe sorry. anyways the detail that you put in there and the style that is incredible, I only wish I could put that much detail in a story or a poem like that, so with this I leave and try to work on my writings to put detail in them
*bows*

-nocturnalfantasy

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

there is nothing really to critque you about this poem, for it is fine the way it is. Anyone who gives you a critque should just stop their typing. I feel the pain that you right as if it is my love that has been lost to the world..oh wait that did happen ehe sorry. anyways the detail that you put in there and the style that is incredible, I only wish I could put that much detail in a story or a poem like that, so with this I leave and try to work on my writings to put detail in them
*bows*

-nocturnalfantasy

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 17, 2008
Last Updated on July 14, 2008

Author

KristaK
KristaK

Irvine, CA



About
My name is Krista and I'm currently a freshman in college. I've decided to return to my writing after a couple of years off. Hopefully I haven't lost my ability. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by KristaK