Waiting for Life to Happen

Waiting for Life to Happen

A Poem by Valeigh Starr

Money isn't worth a smile.
Who wants to make phone calls or write reports
when the sun is shining and mountains are begging to be hiked?
Why should I send a portion of my paycheck to charity
when I could go meet people and help them climb out of poverty forever?
Why should I take a desk job
if I could run around and build relationships and be out in the community?
Why should I fake a smile
when I could openly confront systemic injustice, from below, and bring real smiles to my friends' faces?
Money isn't worth the price I'd pay to put some away for that rainy day, 
and anyway I couldn't play because I'd have to stay at a desk.

What's the point of living if I never get to live?
What's the point of staying alive if I never take risks?
How could I say life is worth living, if this was all there is?

Thank God it isn't, and I choose to live.
I choose to travel, 
even if that means I may never have a home.
I choose to try to create a better future for communities, 
even if that means I may forever be a friend on the outside.

Life without love is not worth living, but nobody ever said what kind of love.  Life loving others is the best of all.

Two roads diverged. The right one held comfortable wealth, security, and a white picket fence.

I turned left.

© 2013 Valeigh Starr


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is one interesting write, and the end was essence of your deep and meaningful poetry.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Valeigh Starr

10 Years Ago

Thank you! This was the result of one of my many "What am I going to do with my life?" moods, probab.. read more
A. Amos

10 Years Ago

Your pipeline you plan is chill out and I wish whole world can live just the way you describe...you'.. read more
I have a great weakness for lyrical poetry, and this one isn't, but I like your style anyway, been reading some of your work- well done!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Valeigh Starr

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
the poem was very interesting i could almost see myself in that situation.

Posted 10 Years Ago


The writing format isn't very good, but I love what you're writing about, and love your thoughts.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Valeigh Starr

10 Years Ago

Thank you! This was pretty much exactly what I was thinking, and I didn't do anything to format it. .. read more
A very altruistic attitude. As someone who has been there (sit ins and picketing in the 60's and 70's and grass roots political campaigning for over 30 years) I will tell you your views are inspirational and will serve you well...BUT putting something away for your older years IS important. You must never assume someone else will help you as you have helped them. Unfortunately, karma does not always work. A write filled with youthful enthusiasm. I liked it. Lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


Valeigh Starr

10 Years Ago

Thank you for the comments and the advice. I will keep that in mind.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

318 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 4, 2013
Last Updated on November 4, 2013
Tags: American dream, Bohemian

Author

Valeigh Starr
Valeigh Starr

About
You can find me laying on my back in a valley beneath the stars, dreaming a better world into reality. Hey everyone, Sorry I've been nonexistent for so long. I just rediscovered my need for poetry.. more..

Writing