"The Voice"  continued......

"The Voice" continued......

A by Valentine
"

a little more to an old tale,,

"

    Beep...Beep...Beep...Code red...Code red. Beep...Beep...Beep...Code Red...Code red... The beeping and the voice echoed down the hall along with the running of feet.  The Doctor in the group asked "Which room"?     Its "Intensive Care" a nurses voice echoed as she ran.

     As the Doctor entered the room a nurse said " She is having trouble breathing and" ..."I've given her oxygen but it doesn't seem to be helping her!"
     "move out of the way, let me see>" He held a silver instrument under her nose ...only one nostril was slightly vaporizing the metal.
     " Call and get me an operating room STAT.  Her lung where she has all of the broken ribs must have collapsed.  wet her loaded onto a gurney...move...we do not have much time."
     The next hours hovered in-between life and death for "Jane Doe."  She was floating above her body looking down at a bruised girl that she did not recognize. She gazed...trying to see any part of the face she might know..then all went black.
     Later she saw a young girl and a woman with a man...but...she did not know them either. Again things went totally black as the doctors fought to inflate her collapsed lung and repair the damage to the wall of the lung caused by the punctures from her broken ribs. It was going to be some time before they knew if Jane Doe would survive or not.
 
     Brody came up in the elevator and went to the waiting room.  When the clock hit on the hour he went to spend the 10 minutes allowed in Intensive care.  He wondered just who this young girl was that he had found in the sleeper of his brother's semi. He had been coming to see her each day since her body was discovered in the truck sleeper. All kinds of thoughts went through his mind as he walked into a bare room.  No patient was on the bed.
     "Oh God", he cried astounded.  "Its all my fault.  I should have noticed the difference in the smells or if a noise came from behind me as I was driving.  How can I ever find and notify her family to let them know their girl is gone?"
    Just then a nurse walked into the room arms full of clean bedding to change the old bedding on the bed.
     "When did she pass away? Do you know?" He asked.
     "Do you mean Jane Doe?" she inquired.
     "Yes, when did she die?"
     "She didn't, she is alive...her lung collapsed and they had to do emergency surgery on her.  She is in recovery, it will be some time before she is brought back up to her room sir. You might as well come back in the morning if you want to see her."
     Brody ...with tears in his eyes ran his fingers through his hair, silently thanking God that she was still alive. His mind was running at a fast pace as he left the hospital..He wondered.."just who would beat up a little girl so bad. Who ever did this should be strung up "..he thought.  "Poor kid, she must have family somewhere there has to be someone that cares!'
      He would call the hospital in the morning and ask If she was still alive and if he could still come to the hospital and talk to her and visit..driving back to the ranch..his mind was going in circles.
 
     They returned Jane to her room and rehooked all of the machines that had been hooked to her body.  She lie in total blackness not aware of all of the activity going on around her. A flash of light crossed her eyes...then a fogginess appeared and a woman and a young girl walking with her hand in a tall mans. A small part of her mind wondered who they were but again all turned black.  A loud bell rang...and once again she saw the little girl, the woman and the woman was smiling at a totally different man. As she was drifting away again she wondered who they were they walked away as she drifted into a deep dark sleep.
    The night past and the new day brought in new people...still talking loud, trying to awaken her or to see if she flinched...anything to see if she was going to come out of the coma. Brody continued his nightly visits after work. He spent as much time as he could just talking to her, telling her stories, anything to let her know someone was there. He noticed her bruises were starting to fade a little, and the swelling in her face was starting to go down. He watched as she turned from black and blue to green and yellow and then to a dull white pallor.
     In the first days after her emergency surgery Brody spoke to her in a softer voice because he did not want to startle her as her lungs healed..Then his voice became louder and deeper as he talked.  He told her of his brother Dan and his nieces and nephews. He even spoke of when he was small and the troubles he and his brother had gotten into.
    One evening he was talking to her about a bear..on another evening he was talking to her about a Christmas tree and thought he saw her eyes twitch.
    "The Voice' there it was again..she thought she had heard that voice before somewhere . As she listened to it she began to relax.  She slowly opened her eyes and stared at him.  Where he was sitting...the light behind him seemed to form a halo over his head.
     The girl on the hospital bed looked through the haze in amazement..it must be...it has to be... she thought and then asked ... in a very weak voice, "Are you Jesus?" 
      

© 2009 Valentine


My Review

Would you like to review this ?
Login | Register




Reviews

Like this, although due to lack of time I sadly very seldom look at prose. This is well written.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Valentine

9 Years Ago

Leslie, I had a book completed, it was lost in the move after I lost my husband. All I had were the.. read more
very well written story enjoyed reading it.... thanks for sharing :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Valentine

9 Years Ago

Just a page of a tale I was writing. Kathie
a highly interesting story with a very intriguing end, is he or is'nt he i wonder, excellent writing Kathie :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Valentine

9 Years Ago

No he isn't..Kathie
good stories with a good imagery words. really nice and its good to read

Posted 9 Years Ago


Oh my....I have missed the previous stories/story but this is intently gripping....I grabbed every word as I read along, as she slipped in and out of this world, and the visions she saw, with the reaction of those around her so vividly explained.
This is wonderful.....so very sad as the happening of it, but a read that shall not be forgotten!
Love, Sheila

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 24, 2009

Author

Valentine
Valentine

MI



About
No one special. Just another person sharing what she writes. more..

Writing
Just Me Just Me

A Poem by Valentine



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..