Lost in between the horizon

Lost in between the horizon

A Story by Vanessa B.
"

He's filled with hope, he's hanging onto that last string. He has become desperate enough to let his life be taken to see his little flower bloom. Will she wake up?

"
How could you let this happen to her? She didn't deserve this. I see her lying on the rigid hospital bed. Hoping she would flicker her small bony fingers or twitch her eye but nothing, she laid there motionless.
​Why couldn't that be me instead? Me lying in that bed, not Colette. God please give her back to me, this isn't fair.
The chair I'm sitting on is solid as a brick and it's aching my back. I start to pace myself back and forth. The only sound in the small cramped room is the beeping of the monitor. It's like an alarm clock waiting to be snoozed. The sound is the only thing keeping me hopeful right now.
I stroll to the cafeteria to snatch myself a sandwich and I pass by some pasta trays. I spot Colette's favorite kind, the bow tie shaped pasta and it's topped with tomato sauce, and Colette will be waking up to a special dish soon. I'm anxiously walking back to the room with the pasta bowl when I notice the chapel. God really is my only miracle maker right now. When I enter the chapel I feel this huge force lunge me to the front of the room. I'm down on my knees, I want to speak but there's this lump in my throat. I take a deep breath and slowly close my eyes.
​Dear God, do you hear me? It's me, Allino. You know I don't ask you for much, just strength to go through everyday challenges. I'm ready for you to give it to Colette instead she needs it more than me. My life isn't worth much, take my life instead, and let her enjoy the rest of her life with Amirel and Deylar. Please, I beg...
I can't continue. The tears begin to pour out of my eyes. I can't hold it in anymore. My face starts to turn ruby red, my hands are trembling. Suddenly, the room feels like it's three hundred degrees, the chapel is spinning viciously. I try to stand but my knees are weak. I topple onto the ground. I hear my heartbeat thumping in my ear.
​After a few minutes I get myself together. I flee out of the chapel taking deep breaths before going in the room with Colette. She's still there motionless. I kneel next to the bed. I get a hold of Colette's tiny hand.
​I start to speak to her, "Colette, sweetie it's your big bro Lino, I know you are just four but you are a fighter. You're strong like a bull. You can make it through this you just have to keep trying, don't give up. I love you."
​I place a kiss on her forehead and sit up on the chair. I try to stay awake but my sleep gets the best of me I doze off.
​"Lino! Lino! Deylar won't stop telling me mean things," Colette cries.
"Deylar stop messing with her man, grow up" I tell Deylar. Colette gives me a reassuring smile. Her eyes were bloodshot from crying.
​"You know what Deylar told me? He told me that I was going to get eaten by a really big spider and wouldn't become a princess," she frowns. I pick her up and tell her that she is a princess and that I would kill that big spider before it gets to her. She giggles and jumps out of my arms and runs out into the backyard. Colette stretches her arms out as if imitating an airplane. She's running carelessly in circles then in a zigzag form. Her curls are flowing from left to right and she is wearing her favorite white dress. Colette looks like an angel, running on the bright green grass with a glimpse of the sunset in the back. Enjoying the moment I find my self smiling and letting out small giggles when Colette tumbles on her own feet.
​In a blink of an eye a man appears in front of Colette. He's wearing a white long robe, has medium length brown wavy hair, he has a beard and has pale skin. Having a queasy feeling I try to run over to Colette and take her away from the man, but I'm glued to the porch. I can't move. I yell out to Colette but its as if I’m just another bird chirping, she ignores me. Colette takes the man's hand and within second they were lost in between the horizon. I started to feel lightheaded. I fall on the lush green grass and stare straight up to the sky as my vision begins to go white.
​The sound of the monitor awakens me; it had started to beep more rapidly. I panic and within second the flat piercing sound penetrates my eardrums. I let out a helpless cry.
​She's gone.

© 2015 Vanessa B.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

288 Views
Added on April 3, 2015
Last Updated on April 3, 2015
Tags: Family, brotherly love, death, God

Author

Vanessa B.
Vanessa B.

Queens, NY



About
I'm a young writer striving to get know for my work. Coffee and books are my go to activity when Im not writing. more..