Autumn's City

Autumn's City

A Book by Mikael Malmberg
"

The title isn't very imaginative. Sorry. :x

"

No Chapters


© 2013 Mikael Malmberg


Author's Note

Mikael Malmberg
Idea in development, everything prone to be changed. I wanted to share this idea, however.

The backstory goes as follows.

Scientific studies on the 22nd century proved that man held within him some manner of "psychic" power. It was later found out that this ability was dominant in left-handed people due to a certain pattern repeating itself in your brain. At first this resulted in mass shock and disbelief, but slowly even the thickest realized that psychic meant power. Some people went literally crazy; some of them rose to great power. Those with the strongest gifts tried to take over governments from the inside, some succeeding, some failing, but in the end, it resulted in war. Nations were nearly wiped out in their wake. European Union became a single, solid state, while Russia spiraled into a deep financial crisis. The United States allied themselves with the European superpower while China conquered Japan and later invaded India.

A cold war of sorts ensued between China and the western powers. Neither side dared to enter into open war. Nuclear weapons were a weapon of the past due to the vast network of counter-missiles, and the financial situations on both sides began to support a complete peace. But neither side backed down until they had been exhausted by the continuing arms race, and as the economy collapsed, so did the military. More psychic-hunts ensued, and left-handed people were put under circumstances much similar to the Jews many centuries ago.

That is what has happened before. The year is 2391 in the beginning of this book, and it sees the young adulthood of an exceptionally gifted person. See his personality booth below.

Name: Daniel
Nationality: European(from the area that formerly was known as Norway)
Age: 14

Dominant personality traits: Arrogant, cunning, ruthless. The beginnings of a very strong superiority complex can be seen developing in him, this due to his immense gifts. It is unknown how his psychic strength fares worldwide, however. Of all the traditional "good" traits he has few, namely being relentless.

Social relations: Everyone wants to be with the strongest, of course. Daniel has a vast variety of friends and contacts, which he ignores as often as keeps them entertained. He doesn't like the fact that some kids like to follow him, and has even beat up some younger, more persistent ones. This has earned him a reputation of sorts. Parents hate him, for instance, and the children... some fear him, some admire him, but nevertheless want to know him. Daniel is the strongest person in terms of psychic ability they have ever heard of, after all.

Home: Slums of a major city, though on their better side. Basically only a level below the poorest middle-class citizens.

Friends and Foes: Anyone who seriously pisses him off will be his enemy. Anyone who tries to suck up to him will be beat up. Those who keep quiet he likes the most. He has one close friend, an introverted, strong-looking geek; his name is Jon. What makes Jon special is that he is right-handed. He isn't very strong in terms of psychic power, though he can somewhat make up for it with his muscle. Not much, though.

Alright. Well, that's for the personality booth. Now you'll perhaps want to know more about the "psychic power" I keep rambling on and on about for so long. Don't worry, this isn't a Dragon Ball Z powerlevel contest or anything.

Psychic strength is measured in the amount of concentration and brain activity one has, though that is only in addition to the inborn strength one has. Every left-handed person is nearly bound to have at least some gifts, though most don't even have enough to even move a spoon: some, like Daniel, are capable of moving large-sized rocks for limited amounts of time, even stopping human beings where they are. The psychic strength also extends to enhancing your own body and thus what it can accomplish by applying weaves of energy to your muscles, and new techniques are still being developed as new levels of strength are reached. Truth is, nobody really knows what psychic strength(/power) is really capable of. It'll take hundreds of years to find out even a portion. Simply a new adventure in life.

Right-handed people, as said before, come very rarely equipped with psychic strength. It is thought that it is in relation to the main concentration of their brain activity lying elsewhere. This is where we come to interesting bits: one can artificially change the focus of his concentration, thus gaining access to psychic strength. How strong it is, however, is completely in the dark, as there is no way to measure it in numbers, and the risks include madness and/or indefinite coma.

It's also speculated, though not proven, that in some cases physical strength might have an effect on one's psychic strength. It might be a large or a small one, but it hasn't been proven by any experiments as of yet: largely due to the banning of psychic research. Only in certain communities they continued experimenting, with limited resources, and progress has ever since been minimal.

Hmm... anything else? If you think this is interesting, feel free to give feedback and ask questions. I'll be happy to answer.

My Review

Would you like to review this Book?
Login | Register




Reviews

This sounds like it could be a very intriguing, thriller of a story. I wish you luck on proceding with it and let me know if you would like me to review it when you post some more.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mikael Malmberg

11 Years Ago

Thank you! You don't have to worry about reviewing this in a while. I think that this might be my su.. read more
CreativeStroke

11 Years Ago

Well that givesyou plenty of time to brainstorm then. :)
I think this sounds interesting...and not just because I'm left-handed. :p

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mikael Malmberg

11 Years Ago

Hah, yeah. It's a pretty bizarre idea on its own. I'm right-handed myself, but doesn't matter. I thi.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
2 Reviews
Added on March 11, 2013
Last Updated on March 11, 2013
Tags: fantasy, psychic, strength, power

Author

Mikael Malmberg
Mikael Malmberg

Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland



About
I write on-and-off, but writing is a permanent interest for me. There's never going to be a time when I won't be interested in the art of writing, the arrangement of words, their style and rhythm and .. more..

Writing
Free Free

A Story by Mikael Malmberg