King of Spades

King of Spades

A Story by Watermelon Kisses
"

Wow, okay. This is about a vampire, I wrote this for my Gothic Horror Fiction English class in year 7. I got a level 7+. Enjoy.

"

Chapter One

The gravel that crunched beneath her feet was full of sprouting weeds and moss that grew abundantly in the shady patches of the cemetery.  The graveyard was deadly quiet apart from the scratchy noise of foxes and hedgehogs roaming the nearby forest and rummaging in the bushes and bins.

 

Suze stared solemnly at her step-father's grave.  She kicked at the emerald green glass stones that lay upon his final resting place.  She wasn't sad at all; on the contrary, she was very happy-he had been a forlorn man, cruel at heart.  Suze gave a final gaze at the grave then headed towards the nearby church.

 

The moonlight cast giant, uninspiring shadows across the uneven, beige walls of the dreary, old church.  The air was musty, rank and stale, yet cooling and peaceful.  The shadows seemed to hurdle and jerk in and around the beautiful stained glass windows.  Mysterious 'voices' echoed in the forlornly damp halls of the murky church that crumbled beneath the feet of tourists, trespassers and visitors.

 

Suzannah 'Suze' Stone was a petite sixteen year old who had sleek, glossy and silky midnight black hair, styled into a long bob.  She never wore any makeup or jewelry but her rosary.  She was beautiful, young and wild at heart.  Her eyes were as black as her hair, which made her pale skin palette seem even paler.

 

But she was not alone.

 

Chapter Two

"Hey, you okay? You don't look so good."  Her boyfriend Rob broke the silence that hung in the pungent air that concealed the church.

 

Rob Wilson was only just turned seventeen years of age with his own motorcycle and license.  He had mousy, short brown hair that seemed to style itself.  His muscles bulged under his perfectly tanned skin.  He had icy blue eyes that appeared to gleam even in the gloomiest of places.

 

"Um, yeah." Suze replied blankly as she looked intently at the somewhat picturesque golden plaque that hung crookedly on one of the uneven, dreary walls of the seemingly hostile church that commemorated her step-father's life.

 

'A sweet, loving and gentle man, known by all, loved by many.  We will miss you greatly, ATTICUS THADDEUS DEVERAUX'

 

"Lies, lies, lies.  All of it. Just..." Suze's voice cracked. "Just lies.  He was really a malevolent, demonic, cruel, bitter, disgusting man whose only intent was making MY life miserable. I'm glad he's gone.  It's better for everyone: me, mum, you and even his own mother.  You believe me don't you Rob?"

 

 

Rob's eyes flickered like two candles in a draughty room as his eyes darted across the plaque.

 

"Well, that's nice.  Come on Suzie, let's go.  You can't stay here forever."

"Okay." Suze wispered as she led herself out of the musty church.  The night air was exceedingly revitalizing to the couple as they emerged from the church.

 

"It's getting late, I'll take yo home."  Rob yawned.  Suze didn't hesitate to jump onto his motorbike-a sleek, midnight blue Harley that bore the words 'Suzie' on the side in white.

 

"Um,  hey Robbie, could you take me to Count Deveraux's....uhh...house-slash-castle?"  Suze inquired.  Rob nodded, although he was bewildered at her strange request.

 

As the couple sped down the worn path leading toward the castle - her late stepfather's castle, they noticed something strange.  Very strange.

 

Chapter Three

The castle lights were on, but nobody lived there; there was no caretaker and it was out of public viewing times.  And, even stranger, when the culprit came to the window, he looked familiar.  Very familiar.  Eeerily familiar.  He looked exactly like Count Deveraux-her stepfather.  The dead one.

 

As soon as he saw Rob and Suze, he fled from the window.  Actually fled was an understatement.  "Th...that c..c...cannot be real!.....It....it's not possible!  Tell me I'm seeing things..." Suze spluttered as she gazed at the arched window.  Rod took one last look and then ran to the vast, heavy doors that just so happened to be bolted with great iron bars from the outside.

"Great security system." Rob snorted sarcastically as he unbolted the doors and pushed them open.

 

"C'mon," He grunted to Suze as he stepped inside and almost slipped on the ice cold, polished marble flooring of the hall.  As the pair darted inside, they found themselves in a maze of narrow tunnels, corridoors and passages.  They decided to seperate to try to find Deveraux.  Suze breathlessly searched a myriad of rooms until she discovered an enormous room that had beige walls and a sizeable four poster bed.

 

Chapter Four

Ther were candles everywhere.  Large ones, small ones, tiny tea light ones and mammoth ones.  Ones in corners, others in alcoves, floors or the mantlepiece.  There was also a flickeringfire that made red shapes dart and dance across the walls.

 

The red shapes seemed to lick a large, bulky portrait of Count Deveraux inside and equally large and bulky, yet elegant golden frame.  Behind it, Suze discovered a diminutive stone tunnel that spiralled and twisted into a cemetery-like cavern.  The cavern was lit with even more flittering candles tenderly placed in petite nooks just below the rounded ceiling of the cavern.  There was a mist on the floor which was grabbing at her feet.  There was a large, stone room and what was inside it was so unspeakably atrocious and malodorous that Suzie backed away almost instantly.  It was the horrendous stench of rotting flesh.  Inside the room were approximately one hundred and thirty human corpses that were all decomposing and transforming into weak, skeletal structures.

 

As Suze began to back away, she collided into something ice cold, emaciated and rigid.  She dreaded to think what it was, yet she looked up at it's ghastly pale face.

"Hello Suzannah, or should I call you Suzie, like your little boyfriend Rob?" Count Deveraux's sinister and bitter voice echoed in the cavern and made some loose stones fall to pieces.

 

Count Deveraux had a polished, bald head and gleaming, hungry auburn-almost red eyes.  He was wearing a blackk waist coat and black work trousers.  The same ones which he had been buried in.  His sin was ashen white, like paper.

 

Chapter Five

"I beg of you, come to my drawing room.  I am sure that you will be comfortable there, no?" He hissed impetuosly.  Suze began to run.  She hoped that she would be free presently and tried to call Rob, but he was too far away to possibly hear.

 

She realized there was nothing that she could do.  She would get lost in the passages.  She followed Count Deveraux. "Cupcakes?" He gave a toothy grin.

"Poisoned no doubt."

"But how could poison possibly do this?" he replied after he finished his mouthful and grabbed her round the neck with a single hand and flung her to the opposite wall with inhuman strength.  He picked her up again, this time by the head, and dragged her up a flight of narrow, winding stairs.  When he was at the top, he kicked open a door, which lead to the bed chamber  and hurtled Suze onto the bed.  By now she was in immense pain and screaming at every moment.  Her leg was broken and mangled, her hair was soaked with blood, her lips were raw and split from screaming so hard, her face was bruised and her arms were almost too mangled too function.

 

She screamed again, pitifully.  He threw her again and her left arm snagged on a saw that she had just noticed, which tore and ripped her arm off in the process.  She let out a blood curdling scream.  Count Deveraux kicked her, then stood on her right leg, effectingly snapping it.  He picked her up again, tightly clutching her right leg.  Suze was barely concious because of the pain.  He tossed her like a rag down the stairs, amused by her pain.  Blood started to pour out like water from every possible exit.

"Shame, wouldn't want to waste any of that would we?" He hissed, reffering to the blood.

 

Chapter Six

Count Deveraux swept across the room, his legs barely moving at all.  His lon canines penetrated Suze's bare skin.  Blood began pumbing from Suze's neck to his mouth, quenching his everlasting thirst for human blood.

 

"Now, to finish the boy!" He chuckled, crunching one of Suze's bones, the whole time having a bloodthirsty twinkle in his eyes.  Suze's mangled body lay flopped in his arms; a very sorry sight to see.

© 2012 Watermelon Kisses


Author's Note

Watermelon Kisses
I'm thinking of taking Intermediate GCSE English, what do you think? (I'm in yr 9 now)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow...O.O this is creepy...*shudders*

Well, down to business.
THIS WAS A REALLY AWESOME STORY!!! It's brilliant It held my attention all the way to the end and I really really hope you write more!!! :D


~A Thousand Deranged and Delirious Writers Group~

Posted 12 Years Ago


Well, I'm 13 now!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow, I'm really impressed! You are only nine years old? Good story Watermelon Kisses!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

227 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 14, 2012
Last Updated on February 14, 2012

Author

Watermelon Kisses
Watermelon Kisses

United Kingdom



About
Well.... I'm a teen girl living in Briain, I go to a public school where I'm laughed at for my 'posh' accent, but I've just been taught to speak well. Life is HARD. And I LOVE pears+watermelons. more..