60

60

A Story by William Coad

A sixty year old woman stands in her kitchen. She blares the Beatles final album, Let It Be, with total disregard for the people in the apartment complex with her, but it doesn’t matter. She screams at her children- those who are back here visiting during the Christmas holiday- because one of them mixed up her cabinets. It wasn’t a big problem, definitely not something worthy of such a noise, but none the less. She only has two hundred dollars to her name and every penny seems significant.

“Who’s Maggie May?” She asks to no one in particular. She stands in her kitchen, doing dishes, but the mess never really seems to go away. You understand how that works though, right? People generally attract what it is that they need, and in her case it was a mess. A bunch of dirty dishes, and Lucky Charms spilled on the floor.

This woman has seen decades pass before her eyes. She was beautiful once, but her face in now lined and her waist sags. It’s true that her hair hasn’t gone gray, but that will come sooner or later. She used to be something. She used to take care of the sick, but that was a life time away. This is her sixtieth birthday, and this year, like every year before, she has to wonder “why?”

“I’ve emptied the sink!” she exclaims. I guess the question will wait another year.

© 2015 William Coad


Author's Note

William Coad
I'm not sure why the background is gray- tried to fix it, but it didn't take. Unrelated, if the background isn't gray then lets just pretend this whole thing never happened.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

68 Views
Added on January 14, 2015
Last Updated on January 14, 2015

Author

William Coad
William Coad

San Fransico, CA



About
I am a writer. I have been one for some time and will continue to be one well into the future. I have been known to write for a variety of mediums- films, poetry, comics, books- but haven't really gon.. more..

Writing