Strange talk

Strange talk

A Story by Winter
"

Perhaps they may not be what they may seem.

"
"It's a long way down," I said.
She turned around and stared at me. Bright hazel were puffy and red from crying. Her pale skin was smooth and devoid of blemish as well as her face. Her long brown hair was slightly matted with dirt. Her cheeks were a bit red from alcohol, judging by the green glass bottle next to her. 
"Why should you care?" She asked.
"Because you are crying on the edge of a 100 meter building," I merely stated.
"Are you going to call the police?" she looked at me cautiously.
"If I am?" 
"Then, I shall go now,"
"You do not need to for I am not going to," 
She looked at me with surprise. The corners of my mouth quirk up into a smile. The woman sat down on the edge of the roof. I took a seat next to her and fished out a packet of cigarettes from my jacket pocket. I offered her one and she took it in a heartbeat. I lighted hers first and then mine. Putting the white cancer stick in my mouth, I inhaled it slowly, enjoying the feeling of my lungs being wrapped in a warm blanket. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the woman watched me with analysing eyes. She mimicked me, only to have her choking on the bitter smoke. I had to suppressed my smile at her feeble attempt. 
"I take it that you're new to smoking," I let out a chuckle. ;"Including the alcohol?"
She let a cough of agreement as she cleared her throat of the smoke. I patted her back in attempt to soothe her cough. Soon enough, her cough died down and I watched her downed another gulp of the transparent liquid. She stared at the glowing cancer stick that sat between her fingers. 
"Want to try again?"
"Yeah, why not?"
I put it back into my mouth, inhaling the arid smoke which smothered my lungs that would be now crying out for oxygen but I had little regards for my health. A long ribbon of grey smoke emitted from my mouth, twisting and squirming like a tormented snake trying to escape. I gestured for the woman to try. She took in the cigarette this time slower, breathing in its contents. Her hazel orbs fluttered shut in delight as nicotine flowed through her system. Soon, she released a wisp of grey smoke like a dragon breathing fire. 
"So what brings a famous idol here on a 100 meter building crying, ;might I add;drinking and smoking for the very first time?" I asked, perching my chin on my hand. 
"How did you know I-"
"I saw you everywhere in the media and buildings,"
"I guess I have a distinguishable face," she let out a crooked smile. ;"Why don't you tell me why you're here first and then I tell you why?"
"Reasonable enough," I nodded. ;"I come up here to see the night view. Your turn,"
The woman let out a sad sigh. She turned her gaze towards the bright city. Hazel eyes were now swirled with seas of emotions. She put the green glass bottle to her lips and took a long draught for what I presume liquid courage.
"I am sick and tired of living," she stated.
I looked at her with surprise and confusion. 
"Why? You have everything that everyone: wealth, popularity, happiness, friends and l-"
She cut me off: "It is not the life I wanted. A idol's life is sickening: Everyday, you are attached to an invisible leash that your boss put you on. Not letting you eat whatever you want, not allowed to wear what you want, not allowed to make friends. When on the stage, you have to wear a fake smile that makes you nausea and wave at fans who only likes you for your looks. Your 'friends' are not actually your friends; once the show is over, they leave without saying a goodbye or a smile. They only do this for money. On days off, you have no privacy for your boss will still keep an eye on you, making sure you do not break the 'rules' they set. I have no voice in the choices they make. I am nothing to them but a piece of plastic which they will throw me away once I loose my looks,"
She let out a bitter laugh at the end of her rant. A few pearl shaped tears escaped from her eyes. The woman rubbed them away, trying to hide the fact that she was crying. I pulled her closes to me into an embrace. The floodgate finally broke as she began to sob into my coat.  
"I am a bird in a cage. There is no freedom in my life. I am so alone," She sobbed. 
I didn't say anything. I rubbed her back in small circles, hushing her cries. The cries turn into soft sobs and died into tiny hiccups. I looked down at her. Her eyes were red and puffy from her second time crying. I produced a handkerchief that I kept in my pocket and wiped the tears streaks off her face.
"Thank you," she mumbled.
"You're welcome,"
I turned my gaze towards the city. The city is a living machine spread over once green land like a microchip grossly enlarged. The roads run in their predictable grid pattern and the lights of the stores, restaurants and places of vice shine neon into the night. 
"I'll go down with you," I said.
"What?" she asked, eyes wide with an incredulous look. 
"I have nothing to loose, besides I think it is time I leave this world. I suffered as much as you did," I stood up next to her.  
She looked at me eyes wide as saucers. I grasped her hand as I pulled her closer to the edge. It was a long way down. I felt my heart leapt in my throat. I glanced at the woman next to me. She swallowed a dry lump in her throat. 
"Before we do this," she said. ;"I would like to know my first and final friend,"
I felt mouth cracked into a wolfish grin. 
"Death,"
"What-" but I cut her off by pulling her down with me.
She let out a high pitch of horror as we plummeted down the building. I closed my eyes in bliss, enjoying the wind kissing my face.
Crack

© 2016 Winter


Author's Note

Winter
Please comment

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on December 28, 2016
Last Updated on December 28, 2016

Author

Winter
Winter

Malaysia



About
A novice writer. Please comment to tell me how to improve. more..

Writing