Hide and Go Seek

Hide and Go Seek

A Story by James R. Lawrence
"

A short ghost story.

"

HIDE AND GO SEEK

(1985)

 

      There are ghosts in this park.  There is no doubt about it.  Tonight is no exception.  See how the mist hovers above the ground, clutching at our ankles.  Heat lightning illuminates the ghost-like clouds above us at unpredictable intervals. There is no wind, no thunder, and no sound at all. As old as I am -- or as young as I am, many would say -- I have to admit the thought of phantoms running about sends an unnerving sensation through my cold body.

      Tony and I used to play here with the neighborhood kids when we were younger.  It's perfect!  There are so many places to hide.  I suppose that's why I'm here now, reminiscing like this.

      There's something I think you should know -- my brother recently died.  I remember it so vividly, like it happened yesterday. The truth is that it happened only a week ago.

      It was so painful. I remember feeling his injuries myself, like siblings often do.  Tony was hit by a car, thrown from his ten-speed bike.  My head still aches, my stomach, nauseous.  You see, he died instantly when his skull hit the pavement of the sidewalk in front of ol' Johnson's store.  I was there.  I saw the whole thing!  Naturally, I turned pale and fainted.  I'm still pale -- look at my hands.

      Did you hear a noise?!  Just now.  My brother used to joke about the ghosts playing here, and try to scare me.  That's why I may look a bit nervous, hearing that sound and all.  Didn't you hear it?  It sounded like kids' voices, echoing off the pavilion over there.  Get down behind this slide and don't say a word.

      I heard it again, definitely voices, chattering, mumbling sounds.  Look! -- over there, a light!  Did you see something move, something in the dark, running across the field? I hope they are not ghosts.  But, what else could they be?  My brother told me there were a lot of them here.  And I think he may have become one himself!  I'm not jumping to any conclusions, mind you.  Maybe, I saw nothing.  Perhaps, it's all my imagination.  But, I did hear noises -- that I know!  But, if you did not. . . But, you did, didn't you?  And saw them as well?  If it is a ghost -- are ghosts -- I wouldn't know how to defend myself.  True, they may not intend to harm us, but in case they do is my only concern!

      I'm not sure why I'm even here in the very place I fear the most.  In the company of ghouls is not my idea of security.  When my brother and our friends were here playing hide and go seek, I was never afraid.  It's when I'm alone I get this nervous feeling. . .  And at this very moment, I must admit I'm beginning to get the creeps.

      A shadow.  There is a shadow; rather, a silhouette approaching us.  Thirty feet away, do you see it?  It seems to float, yet I can't see all of him.  The mist is so thick, rising to our knees. Damn it all!  20 feet away.  He must know we're here; he's walking directly toward us.  The clouds are passing above.  10 feet.  The moon is coming out; he'll see us for sure!  5 feet.  The moon is out.  He sees us. Don't worry, I'll stand to let him know I'm not afraid!

      His face. . . my God, it is Tony!  He recognizes me.  He's raising the same old flashlight with which we used to play the game.  The light's now in my eyes, and out again.  But, don't let him know you're afraid.  For God's sake, do not show fear.

      "Andy?" his voice quivers.

      This moment I feared more than any other.  To see a haunted image, obviously in pain, and knowing that it used to be my brother.  I feel sick to my stomach.  I feel like I have to throw up, but I can't!  -- Don't be afraid.  I don't believe in them, I can't believe, I mustn't! Can you see him?!  Tell me I'm not alone!  Tell me I'm not going mad!!  Is it a spirit or my imagination?  A dream, perhaps?  An awful nightmare to haunt me the rest of my days?!

      "Andrew??" He speaks again.  He looks as though he's afraid.  He needs my help in some way.  Do you believe me now when I tell you there are phantoms running about in Jennerjohn Park?

      Oh, no, this I didn't plan for.  More shadows are coming, over there!  He was right all along.  There are ghosts here, many, many ghosts.  I'm scared.  My blood is beginning to run cold.  I even feel a bit light headed!  Dazed, petrified!  I'm going to run.  He will understand my lack of courage, I know he will.  "Tony.  Forgive me."

I say to you, now is the time to flee, before more arrive.  Why are they are just staring at us? 

      One spirit is stopping at Tony's side.  "You look as though you've seen a ghost," it says.  An ironic joke between the phantom-dead.  Wait!  His voice, I recognized.  I know him -- only he's not dead!  And the other kids, my friends, none of them are dead.  But, they're looking at me so strangely.

      "Don't stare at me!  Why are you looking at me?" I'm frightened, you can see me trembling.  Why are they not afraid of Tony instead? Look at my hands, my skin! I'm so white, white as a gh---

      I'm beginning to remember, but it can't be the way I'm now seeing it.  I . . . It is I who am the phantom.

      "I am the ghost!

 

© 2008 James R. Lawrence


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
Added on February 27, 2008

Author

James R. Lawrence
James R. Lawrence

Appleton, WI



About
You can call me James (Lawrence). Although I have a wonderful wife and two awesome kids, my main inspiration for writing comes from the weather. If it's rainy and dreary out, you better bet I'll be wr.. more..

Writing