A Day in the Market

A Day in the Market

A Story by Lil.Sis5

“ Liam come down stairs and eat your breakfast before it gets cold.”  

“ Coming mama I will be right down.” Called before slipping my shirt over my head. I am Liam and I am twelve. I live in New Mexico and I live with my Mama, Papa, and my brother Bruno. I spend everyday with Mama. Papa spends most of his time with Bruno. Papa doesn’t think very highly of me he never has and probably never will.  

“ Where are Papa and Bruno?” I asked but already knew the answer. Papa and Bruno never waited for me they ate before me or after they don’t like to eat with me. I have always thought highly of Mama because she seemed to be the only one in the world who cared about me. Papa couldn’t stand to even look my way. I don’t know my father let a lone what he looks like.  

After breakfast I help Mama with the dishes and with the Morning chores that need to be done. First we went and started doing the dishes.  Mama always makes sure that the water isn’t too hot for me. After we are done with all of the morning chores Mama and I go horseback riding before starting our afternoon chores. Horseback riding is the only fun during the day that we have but it’s enough for me. It started out as another day until Papa came yelling for Mama.  

As Papa neared his tanned skin was redder than usual and every vain in his face was popping out. Mama quickly dismounted her horse and looked to the ground, I looked down as well. Papa came up the hill toward us hatred in his eyes that seemed to become greater when he noticed me. He turned his cold gaze to Mama.  

“ Why are you and that boy out riding when the afternoon chores are still not done.” Papa said harshly. Knowing whom he was talking about I gave Mama a quick glance at her back. She slowly lifted her head. As she did Bruno came up behind Papa and gave her a disapproving look. Mama then spoke quietly but boldly.  

“ That boy is your son too and you can’t change that and he has a name.” I was proud of her courage and boldness but it didn’t last long.  

Papa struck Mama across the face I jumped off my horse and helped Mama to her feet. As I did so Papa and Bruno stood their shaking with laughter and turned and started walking away. Mama was bleeding from her bottom lip. I turned and before she could grab me I was on top of Papa and was just wailing and giving full force. He was caught off guard and was flung to the ground and he started bleeding from his nose and lip. Bruno frozen with shock finally snapped back into the natural world and flung me off Papa. While Papa was rolling around trying to get up Bruno swung at me. I ducked and ran into his stomach he was finally on the ground. I started giving him just as much force as I gave Papa he started bleeding as well. My fists were flying and I wasn’t about to stop.  

I drew back but before my fist reached Bruno’s face Papa had me pulled off him and I was being drug towards the house. I glanced at Mama and saw terror in her eyes. Bruno was walking behind me and got down to my face and was giving me an icy glare and then smiled. They drug me into the basement and locked the door. A couple minutes later I heard Mama banging on the door and screaming and my hands were tied to the rafters. I could still touch the floor but my wrists hurt. Bruno leaned down and asked me how I felt I spit in his face and told him that was my response. He wiped his face and looked at Papa. My shirt was ripped from my body. I knew what they were going to do so I thought quickly and figured there wasn’t away out and I don’t want Mama to hear me scream out in pain and to give them what they wanted. What they wanted was to see the hopeless little boy they find me out to be.  

Papa came around and looked at me curiously. He then turned.  

“ Are you afraid because we are about to find that little scared child I know that is in you by the time we are done with you no one will recognize you and no girl will ever want you. What do you think about that?” He asked.  

“ I think that you won’t get what you want out of me I won’t scream and I won’t flinch. You hit Mama what I did was right and you two are cowards you beat women and children even though other men do it, it doesn’t make it right if there was an actual man out there you wouldn’t of hit him. Why? Because you know they wouldn’t stand for it you are nothing but cowards.” I Knew that my words were strong they had shocked faces but then Papa nodded and it started. 

Bruno punched me in the lip; I could feel the sting the warmth of the blood as it dripped down my chin and onto my chest. Papa and Bruno then started pounding on my body. After what seemed like an hour of not flinching and not screaming they took a break. My mouth was pouring warm blood and my eyes felt like they sunk in and my face was pounding and throbbing with pain. My right rib was poking out of my side and I had bruises all over my chest and stomach. Papa looked up at me and I still had a courageous look on my face. I forced a weak smile.  

“ You think that we can’t make you scream? You think we can’t get you to flinch? Soon you won’t be smiling.” With that Papa looked at Bruno and Bruno with an exhausted expression looked at Papa. He then shook his head no. Papa sighed and pushed on my broken rib. It hurt as if someone stabbed me with a knife in my side. I closed my mouth and clenched my teeth, but I didn’t scream and I didn’t flinch. After a couple of minutes he let go and I the unclenched my teeth. He moved around behind me picked up the whip and slashed my back into shreds. I could feel the hot blood flow down my back like a water fountain and down my pants. I still did not scream nor flinch.  

After another twenty minutes of the whip he was exhausted. He came up behind me and cut me loose. I stood up not bothered by the broken rib. He looked at me in amazement but when he noticed me look at him he quickly put back on his aggressive expression. I walked past Bruno who still didn’t hide his amazed expression and walked up the stairs. I unlocked the door and when I did I found Mama on the other side. Her hands were bleeding from when she was hitting the door and her face was tear streaked and she as well had an amazed expression on her face. I took her arm and led her into the bathroom and washed her hands with peroxide. After her hands were cleaned up I took a washcloth and wiped down her tear-streaked face. After that did she snap out of shock and help me clean up my wounds. She cleaned up my bloody face, got me clean clothes, and bandaged my broken rib. She then looked at me with fear. I looked over in the mirror my eyes weren’t badly swollen but enough and I had bruises everywhere. They looked worse than what they felt.  

After Mama washed and bandaged me she sent me off to bed. I lay in my bed and listened to the still night. After an hour or two I heard the front door open and I heard the quiet whispering of Bruno and Papa. After they stood in the door way for a couple of minutes I heard their footsteps echo through the house. They came from the hallway. They got closer and closer to my door. I closed my eyes and listened ever so carefully. I made my breath steady as if I were asleep. I heard my bedroom door creak open and the floorboards started to creak as they both approached my bed.  Then I felt a rough hand on my face it hurt just a little but not bad enough to make me move. Then the hand moved away from my face and lifted my blanket where I only had on a pair of shorts.  

“ Wow, Bruno we got him good, but that boy is strong I guess we have to put him to the test tomorrow.” Said Papa in his rough voice.  

“ Papa you don’t mean… but Papa I don’t think that’s wise I don’t want to.” Bruno shot back I heard Papa snicker. 

“ We are going to do it and she isn’t going to stop us I’ll slap her again.” I got ready to sit up and tell them that they can’t imagine the things that I will do to them if they touched her, but before I could they were gone.  

“ Liam come and eat. Do you need help out of bed this morning?” Mama asked with care and tenderness.  

“ No thank you Mama I’m fine don’t worry I’ll be right down promise.” I then quickly slipped a shirt on and started for the kitchen. When I entered the kitchen it wasn’t like an ordinary morning, Papa and Bruno were waiting at the kitchen table with their plate in front of them still untouched.  

Papa glanced up and watched me take my seat. I glanced over at Mama and looked her up and down to see if there were more injuries. I then looked back at Papa and he shook his head. I felt a little more at ease after that but I still had my guard up. I sat down and started eating and so did Papa and Bruno. After a few minutes Papa started to talk.  

“ Now listen kid” He started but I stopped him.  

“ My name is Liam not kid.” I said. He looked up and only then did I see the bruise on his left cheek and his split lip. I then looked over at Bruno whom had to looked up. He had a nice shiner and a split lip as well. I looked back at Papa. 

“ Right sorry, Listen Liam you are not staying here and helping out your mother instead you are coming with me and Bruno to the Market.” He said. He then looked for any excitement and found none. It might have been a good idea when I was younger but I’m twelve now and I just saw him slap Mama and him and Bruno beat the crap out of me.  

“ Why now because you all ready beat me and you want to go show me off. Show every one that you beat children.” I said. He wiped his mouth and looked back up again. 

“ Listen Liam you’re coming and that’s that.” He said and looked up.   

We set out at noon but we didn’t leave until I made sure Mama was okay. After we left we were in the wagon for five minutes before I started asking questions.  

“ What are we going to do in the market? Why are you taking me now?” I asked impatiently.  

“ We are going to spend most of the day having fun then we are going to buy hay.” He answered but there was a mocking in his words.  

“ I am carrying the hay by myself aren’t I.” I asked already knowing the answer. 

“ Not only can you stand a beating you are a smart one aren’t you?” He said with a toothy grin. I grabbed hold of my rib and he noticed.  

“ Are you not going to be able to do it cripple. He asked. I looked up and answered. 

“ I can do it but you still didn’t answer my other question. Why now?” I asked he looked up again and glanced over at Bruno. This time it was Bruno who answered.  

“ Because kiddo you showed you are strong.” He said and then he snickered and looked away.  

“ I knew it you’re showing me off you beat me until I scream and if I do game over for me right? RIGHT?” They knew that I was right and my words were dangerous. We didn’t talk until we finally reached the Market.  

I know that I will never be perfect in Papa’s eyes. No matter what he will hate me. We walked around for hours and finally we stopped and bought an apple for each of us. At the apple stand there was a little girl no older than five. She was working with the old woman. She was as skinny as a toothpick. I went to hand her a piece of apple but Papa grabbed my arm and hauled me away. He then yelled at me and told me not to go around feeding little girls. I told him if he wants me to stay than I can do what ever I want. I walked over to the little girl and pulled out a quarter and gave it to her. She then gave me another apple. When she went to give it to me I gave it back and told her that it was for her. I then told the old Woman that I had given it to her so she doesn’t get in trouble.  

We walked around a little longer and then we went to the hay mill. Papa told me to wait outside and they would be right out with the hay. As I waited I heard a boom and then the whole building turned in to an orange ball of heat. Before I knew what I was doing I ran in. I know I don’t like Papa or Bruno but they keep us fed and they are my only way home. I looked around I found Papa first. He was fine but a cut on his hand. I lifted him up and got him to the exit. After he was safely out I went back in for Bruno. I found him with his leg crushed under wood. I lifted him up and found that his leg was broke I leaned him on my bad rib and carried him to the exit as well. As I was outside I heard other screams. They belonged to a woman, a little girl, and a man. I ran back in I found the little girl in the corner of the room. I lifted her up on to my side. I then found her mother behind burning wood. I set the little girl down and grabbed the burning wood with my bare hands and threw it out of the way. I put the woman’s arm around my shoulder and leaned her against my bad rib. I then got both of them out safely. Now it was just the man. I ran back through and found him below. Both sides of the stairs were blocked I jumped from the railing about five feet high and landed next to him. He was still awake but having trouble breathing. I grabbed him and dragged him along as I did I kept hearing him tell me to leave him and to save myself. I still kept moving with him. I grabbed the wood with both of my singed hands and pulled it away from the stairs. I helped him up but at the top I had to do the same thing. When we got close to the exit I heard the wood start to creak I pushed the man through the exit as soon as he was out the wood fell in front of the door. The flames covered the whole door way. I backed up and ran.  

The next thing I knew I saw Papa and Bruno above me and I heard them calling for me. Then it went black and I heard a ringing in my ear. Then utter and complete silence, I was alone. I couldn’t see, hear, taste, smell, or feel anything. Then a soft glow started to come as it got closer it got brighter. Then I was in a room a plain white room and in the middle was…the grim reaper. He looked at me his eyes just a red glow from deep in his hood. His voice was like a thousand people talking at once. He asked me if I was ready to go. And I looked at him and told him no. Then just as suddenly as he appeared he was gone. When I looked up Mama was crying over me and so were Papa, and Bruno. When I started to speak they all started to smile. They then all hugged me and I knew that my life was about to change.  

 

© 2015 Lil.Sis5


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on December 6, 2015
Last Updated on December 6, 2015

Author

Lil.Sis5
Lil.Sis5

Writing
Rainbow Rainbow

A Poem by Lil.Sis5


You and I You and I

A Poem by Lil.Sis5