The Umbrella Angel

The Umbrella Angel

A Story by Wolfwind
"

A short story about A Spicee Angel and a Rain Demon

"

There was never a dull moment in the city by the river. Day in and day out, odd and unexplained happenings would go on, leaving the residence of the small metropolis, more perplexed and uncertain about their existence than the day before. 

It was a rainy morning. A black umbrella was spinning over the head of a young woman, who sat kicked back on a park bench. She watched as the droplets of water flew from the metal tips of the umbrellas support frame. 

'Wonderful...' She mused. Suddenly bringing the spinning to a stop, she stood up and glanced up and down the narrow concrete walkway. Crack, crack, puddle, puddle, crack, crack, puddle, puddle, puddle, crack; as far as her eyes could see down the path, it was the same, a mixture of shadow and reflection. Having no need to go in either direction, but refusing to sit and spin any longer, the young woman turned on the heels of her black leather shoes, well worn from time and more time, and began to walk away from the bench. it no longer mattered to her if it had been left or right, now it was simply forward and forward she went. Splashing in every puddle she could along the way and leaping high and clicking her heels over every crack. Why? She had no reason, she just felt like it. 

The young woman was now whistling as she splashed. Low in the water, high in the drip and when there is a crack, she would jump with a click. The tune ran on in her head as she stepped and splashed and jumped along the pathway. She continued, passing by the old oak trees and the manicured flowered hedges. She stopped, suddenly.

The umbrella snapped shut as the woman’s eyes began to glow a greenish blue. In an instant she was a blur upon an open field, the dark moaning form of a human being her target. 

The young woman's eyes saw the sinister swirling of rain over the man. Her senses told her it was rain demon. With a flourish of speed and grace she twirled her umbrella around, it's length extending, glowing brightly as lightning crackled around it, and around her own form. Her simple black attire transformed and her purple/blue angel wings extended. 

The rain demon hissed at the newcomer, having not yet completed draining the life from the mortal below it. It lunged towards the female angel, turning rain drops into shards of razor sharp ice. 

The umbrella came around, opened, blocking the ice shards. In a blur and flash, it changed shape, lengthening again, attaching its length to the angels arm, one large umbrella spinning behind and a smaller umbrella crackling in front. She held it with confidence as it swirled, charging with divine hues or energy.

"Time to evaporate..." The angel smirked, releasing the power of her divine spice through the supercharged divine umbrella rail cannon. Its rainbow ray pierced the night and the demons howl pierced the darkness disintegrating with the full impact of the umbrella's beam. 

A moment later... the night was still. 

 

The young woman dialed 911 and waited over the unconscious man, holding her umbrella, keeping him from getting any more wet. She nodded at the young ambulance driver. They knew who she was. It was a mutual secret. 

 

The rain continued, the night rolled on and the young woman continued to walk along the shores of the river. A Spicee Angel, living her life as she saw how, one drop at a time.


© 2013 Wolfwind


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is an amazing tale! And there was definitely a feeling of coming full circle at the end. Even though this is one of your earlier pieces, I find it very good, especially with the angel clicking her high heels and jumping over puddles. That was my favorite part.
When you describe the angel's wings, you can use shades of blue or purple to describe them: cobalt, indigo, violet, there are plenty of shades. But great job overall, very well done!
~Owl

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wolfwind

10 Years Ago

Thanks Owl! I like that suggestion about the color of the angels wings. I may have to go back and tw.. read more



Reviews

This is an amazing tale! And there was definitely a feeling of coming full circle at the end. Even though this is one of your earlier pieces, I find it very good, especially with the angel clicking her high heels and jumping over puddles. That was my favorite part.
When you describe the angel's wings, you can use shades of blue or purple to describe them: cobalt, indigo, violet, there are plenty of shades. But great job overall, very well done!
~Owl

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wolfwind

10 Years Ago

Thanks Owl! I like that suggestion about the color of the angels wings. I may have to go back and tw.. read more
This is fantastic. And the Spicee Angel is certainly grateful to have been thought of in such a nice superhero-like light.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wolfwind

10 Years Ago

I so happy you enjoyed it! =D It was fun to create! Thank you for leaving your kind words. I am real.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

533 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 10, 2013
Last Updated on August 12, 2013

Author

Wolfwind
Wolfwind

Coupeville, WA



About
Sometimes poet, always an artist, creator of colorful visions, dreamer, and a seeker of things not yet known. more..

Writing