Merry Christmas, Sally Beddoes

Merry Christmas, Sally Beddoes

A Story by Michael A. Wolf
"

A Short Story of Holiday Remembrance

"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

MERRY CHRISTMAS, SALLY BEDDOES

By

Michael A. Wolf


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

            The band played a slow song and the floor was filled with couples.  Captain Doug Forrest clung tightly to his USO girl as they swayed to the sound of Guy Travers and the Windy City Orchestra.  Outside, snow fell in quiet flakes on streets decorated with lights and tinsel, and inside the hall there was warmth and eggnog and soft music.  But all Doug Forrest focused on was Sally Beddoes.  Sweethearts since their teenage days, they’d grown more devoted to one another as the years passed.  She’d volunteered for USO service the as soon as he finished Army Air Corps flight school, and now in the glow of the chandelier and Christmas colors, they danced and held each other, and knew that this night would be far too short.

            “I wish you didn’t have to go.”  Sally said, her head against his chest.

            “My squadron’s leaving tomorrow.  They need us in England.” Doug said, kissing her on her cheek.

            “I’m stupid to bring it up.” She said, “I don’t even want to talk about it.”  And she pulled him closer as the song drew to its end.  They walked from the dance floor and sat at a nearby table.  Already there was Doug’s wing man, Jack Harper and his date.

            “Thanks for all your help tonight, Lieutenant.” Doug said.

            “No trouble at all, Captain.” Jack mock saluted, “Keeping the G.I.s and Popeyes away from your girl was nothing for me.”  He made a muscle that drew a giggle from his lady friend.  “You kids deserve this night to yourself.”  And he stood.  “C’mon Rosie, let’s have ourselves a dance.”  He took his date’s arm and led her to the floor.

            “Can I get you some punch or eggnog?”  Doug asked Sally.

            “I’m not thirsty, Doug.”  She said.

            The band began playing I’ll Be Home for Christmas, and the singer’s voice floated through the room, causing reverent silence as people listened to words promising thoughts of presents and snow no matter how great the distance between loved ones.  Doug took Sally’s hand in his and removed her small white glove.

            “I know this is sudden,” He said, “But, I want you to marry me.” taking a ring from his pocket.  “It’s not much…” he began.

            “Doug, oh Doug you know I will.” Sally’s eyes welled and she placed her hand on his.  He slid the ring onto her finger.  They kissed; ignoring USO rules and any onlookers as the singer crooned “I’ll be home for Christmas, if only in my dreams.”  It was the last time they would see one another.

 

*

 

            The night came to a close; the music faded into memory and the dance hall emptied of people and ghosts.  The chandelier glowed to full brightness as colored lights dimmed, and a voice floated through the air once more.

            “Thank you everyone for coming tonight.  We hope you all enjoyed Christmas Nostalgia 2007.  The USO thanks you for your support.”

            A young girl ran across the dance floor and called out to the woman sitting alone at the near table.

            “Grandma!” she stopped just short and hugged the woman.  Mommy’s here and we’re picking you up.” 

            “Hello, Grandma.” The girl’s mother said.  “How was the party?”

            The old woman’s eyes filled with tears, but a slight smile stayed on her lips.  “Too short.”  She said, “Far too short.”  And as she stood, she removed her small white glove and touched the ring on her finger.  It wasn’t much, but it was everything.

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2008 Michael A. Wolf


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
Added on February 25, 2008

Author

Michael A. Wolf
Michael A. Wolf

San Diego, CA



About
I sold my first fiction piece at the age of 14 and have worked in many different writing disciplines. I teach fiction and coach others in a series of dynamic read/critique groups known as WolfWriters.. more..

Writing