Hearing Aid

Hearing Aid

A Story by Wolfy
"

An old lady remembers Christmases past she enjoyed in her village

"
December has always been a favorite time of year for me.  
The warm glow of the lights that brighten the darkest alleys, the first glimpse of a perfect snowflake falling gracefully on white frosted grass.                                    
The children playing, adding noise and splashes of color to the serenity.              
I smile at the carolers, standing in the doorways of the elderly, lighting up their faces with soft merry voices, breaking the harshness of the dark night.                 How I laughed, watching the dogs and their walkers loll across the grass through the deep white blanket, stumbling and giggling for no reason at all.                        
We all did. It was infectious.                    
The decorating of a giant towering tree in the town hall the throwing of snake like shimmering tinsel, draping around the top of the tree.                                        
And of course, Bob the mechanic would always be made to put the star on top, with the wobbly old ladders. Health and safety wouldn't allow it nowadays, but how we laughed as he swayed back and forth that he would 'not be doing this again next year'. He always did though. It was his yearly conquest. I always wonder why it never occurred to any of us to replace the old ladders for next year, but there would have been a bizarre deterrent
He always did like to look the hero.                       
And every Christmas Eve night, we would have a party in the old hall, the whole town would arrive dressed in their finest, and those from the next, and we would eat and dance and laugh all night.                 
This was all many years ago now, I was nought but a girl, a young thing.          
Now, since I lost my husband Alfred, I sit in quietly with Sammy the dog on Christmas eve nights. I avoid the snow, now, in my older years, tisnt worth the trouble to be out in it really.                               
 Iv had enough time in my years to play with snow. There isn't a use in worrying, my life has been as plentiful as I could ever wish. Christmases are never the same, but the grandchildren visit and dinner is always a grand spread, sometimes I watch them play in the snow.                                                  
 But if I could again feel, one last time before my time is gone, the warmth and glow of Christmases as a girl in that little town, in a heartbeat, I would be young again.         

© 2013 Wolfy


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Not bad. Your writing is technically correct, and while I do think there's room for expansion, the piece still functions adequately in its present form. Good work.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Wolfy

10 Years Ago

Thank you, although Im not quite sure what you mean by 'technically correct'.
Wolfy

10 Years Ago

If you mean the paragraphing, thats because after I had typed this up into word, the difference in f.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
1 Review
Added on May 19, 2013
Last Updated on May 19, 2013

Author

Wolfy
Wolfy

Newcastle, North east, United Kingdom



About
Just a writer who varies alot. I do write alot of things that are set in the past I suppose. Also a lot of dark writing. Some comedy stuff. I dont know, I write what comes to mind at the time I suppos.. more..

Writing
About a girl. About a girl.

A Poem by Wolfy