Nova's Story

Nova's Story

A Story by Kyle Thomas
"

A wolf's biography as he travels through life, dealing with harsh things arohnd every corner.

"
Once there was a vast mountain range. The weather was cool, and it had just snowed. The light powder looked beautiful amongst the tall pine trees. It was the first snowfall of the season, and that meant pray was scarce for Kweeuu. Kweeuu was a member of a wolf pack. She had been a part of this pack since she was born. Her mate, the Alpha, was a strong leader. He had brought the pack through many tough times, but not as tough as what was about to come for Kweeuu. 
  See, Kweeuu was pregnant, and no one knew about it. She knew if she gave birth to these pups and the pack found out, they would kill the pups or drive them away so they didn't have any extra mouths to feed. Kweeuu was always wary of what was going on around her, just to make sure no one found out. About a month into her pregnancy, she started to make a den for her cubs when they were born, outside the packs territory. She was always careful to mask her scent with either mud or dung, so she wouldnt be tracked. Soon later she finished the den. It was under a tall pine tree. There were  few nests for her and the cubs when they came. She continued to play in the woods, and do her natural duties towards the pack.
   Kweeuu woke up to a freshly snow covered world. She batted her eyes and let out a big yawn, and looked over to find her mate still sound asleep. She slowly rose to her paws, and ventured out of her den. She saw a couple of her pack mates wrestling and mingling in the small clearing. She padded over to the two newest cubs, although they were already four months. "Good morning Lillith, Loho." She greeted the youngsters. They scampered up from their wrestling positions to face the fae.      "Good morning, Kweeuu" They said almost in perfect unison, dipping their head in respect. She laughed as they stumbled together. "You ready to eat?" She spoke. "Rotho spotted a buffalo herd headed this way last night. They should be stopped in the hunting grounds near the river." "Really!?'' Lillith's eyes gleamed. "Can we come too?" Loho asked. She knew she needed the help, but they were too young and untrained.    "Sorry, you two, this could very well be dangerous. We don't need any more injuries than we already have." She responded to the little one's question. "We will speak later, okay?"
   "Okay." Loho said in disappointment. He hung his head and walked away to his mother. "Well, he is in a bad mood.." Lillith said. "See ya later!" She trotted off to her brother with her tail held high. She went to the group of wolves meeting in front of the hunting grounds. They saw Kweeuu approach them, and they dipped their head in respect. Then, her mate padded up from behind her and offered his muzzle. They nosed each other in greeting, then turned to the other wolves to see what they have to say. 
   "Good morning Kweeuu, Rotho." The younger brute dipped his head. "We have been tracking the heard of buffalo, and they are exactly where we planned them to be."
   "Perfect." Kweeuu responded. "Since most of us are here, we can head out immediately. Starko, go ahead and lead us there, then we can corral them and pick off one." She licked her lips, already tasting the warm flesh of the beast that they would soon kill. 
 "Great, follow me." Starko stated He started to head west, and the hunting pack followed close behind. The pack soon spotted the herd, and took notice of what Buffalo would be vulnerable. All five wolves scattered and looked for one. Kweeuu was first to spot a young calf. The other wolves drove the stronger buffalo off, and Kweeuu chased after her meal. This buffalo was easily three times her size, probably weighing 400 pounds. She didn't care, she needed to feed her pack if they, and her babies, would survive the winter.
    The buffalo ran, but she was faster. She ran in the buffalo's tracks, gaining on it fast. Her mate was up ahead running diagonally in front of the buffalo, waiting for her to strike. She saw that the buffalo tripped up, so she went for the attack. She lunged onto the buffalo, biting down hard on its hind leg. The sweet tang of blood filled her mouth. Starko soon to follow. Once the buffalo slowed up enough, Rotho went for the neck. He ran and jumped, flying right in-front of the beast. He wrapped his fore legs around the buffalo's neck, and bit down hard. The buffalo shook and struggled, but their grasp was too strong. The buffalo gave up, and fell over dead. This meal would feed the pack cor a good few days. Kweeuu and Rotho always got the first share, so they took their cuts, and padded off. 
    The others dragged the buffalo closer to the clearing , so the others could eat. Everyone took their turn, higher ranking first, then down the line. There was still some left, so Kweeuu offered to go store it. She dragged it to a rock on the treeline. She decided to take more for herself, because she was expecting any day now, the new cubs would be born. The next day Kweeuu woke up with pains in her stomach. It was time for the babies to come. Luckily, her mate was still asleep, like always. She slowly crawled out of her den and headed for the one she made for her cubs. She was almost out of the clearing when...
  "Hey! Goodmorning, Kweeuu!" Starko spoke. "Where are you going?" He asked. She noticed that he was looking at her suspiciously. 
   "Um.. Goodmorning to you too, Starko." She replied nervously. "I, Uh,.was just going to go on a morning hunt, just to stretch my legs."
   That a girl! That was as smooth as silk! She thought. "Okay, I guess. Have fun." "Thanks, I will." She dipped her head and scurried north east shere her new den was. By the time she was done talking to Starkey, Rotho was up. Starko informed him on what was going on, and he ordered him to folow Kweeuu.

© 2016 Kyle Thomas


Author's Note

Kyle Thomas
Ignore any grammar issues, as it is a rough draft. This is only a part of the first chapter.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
Added on May 19, 2016
Last Updated on May 19, 2016
Tags: Wolf

Author

Kyle Thomas
Kyle Thomas

Palmer, MA



About
I just started writing. I do a roleplay to help me write the book im working on. more..