Into the Brink

Into the Brink

A Story by WooErin
"

Every journey begins with one step.

"

Bags are packed, tickets quadruple confirmed to be in your front pocket, and you are ready to go. The continent where life began waits, brimming with elephants, adventure, and the best profile pictures you’ve ever had. Allow me to give you a little taste of what you’re in for, dear adventurer. 

You’re looking absolutely gorgeous. You’re wearing a comfortable, yet stylish and modestly cut dress. Not wanting to offend anyone during the connection in Doha, Qatar, this dress goes clean down to your ankles. Hoorah for the savvy world traveller! You may be sitting in cattle class but you’re first class all the way, baby.

A 14 hour flight is an endurance test. Forget marathons and vows of silence. Sitting in a tiny chair surrounded by 200 other people takes some serious mental fortitude. After your second Will Ferrell movie your bladder is full and your muscles are screaming as loud as the engines. As you stand in the endless bathroom line you sneak a quick glance at your watch. A little arithmetic and second guessing your handle on time zones, your heart sinks. There are 10 more hours left, or in airplane time, four and a half Will Farrells.

In the horrid yellow glow of the restroom lights, you catch a glimpse of not-so-fabulous you in the mirror. After a little useless primping you shrug at your reflection and figure Africa can take it or leave it.

10 hours later.

Unfortunately the plane has landed about 15 kilometers from the airport terminal, however Doha International Airport has been kind enough to send shuttles to retrieve you. Local time is 6:45am and your stomach is grumbling for dinner. Maybe a late lunch, but most certainly a snack at the very least. A cold drink would do. Shuffling forward towards the hatch you ponder what fizzy drink would hit the spot and that’s when the heat hits you, like a dry sauna stuck on HIGH. A thick sheen of sweat instantly whisks away any semblance of glamor that you had clung onto and you are left wondering what noon feels like.  

The glances in your direction have begun but you’re too tired, too hot, and too worried about making your connection to notice them at first. This hodgepodge of people shimmy out of the shuttle and make their way towards the security checkpoint. While standing in this tightly snaked line the glares become obvious. That tiny square inch of skin on your decolletage you have so brazenly left exposed is upsetting the locals. Desperately you clutch to the sweater around your shoulders attempting to simultaneously cover your nudity and fend off heat stroke. A quick sprint to your gate almost causes an international scandal as your dress threatens to uncover the forbidden bosom, but quickly you are back in the air with the middle east in your figurative rear view mirror.

Another three Will Ferrells later and you’re finally in Africa! Tanzania to be exact, which is good, because that’s where you were aiming for. You follow the cavalcade. The airport looks as if it opened before the construction was finished, exposed duct work, missing tiles, and a half wall complete the secure customs area. The humid heat is exponentially draining your remaining energy as a very large man in uniform approaches you.

“Jambo!” he declares with a Cheshire grin. “American? Welcome to Tanzania. $100 and passport.”

In a blink of an eye your passport and money is passed through four people to a room you can’t see. A lump of panic forms in your throat. What if he’s a scam artist and I just gave him my passport like a chump and now I’m stuck here forever? 20 agonizing minutes pass before you see your beautiful blue passport in the hands of yet another official, the money replaced with a shiny new visa allowing you to finally enter the country. This is where your adventure begins.

© 2012 WooErin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I definitely enjoy this. I like how you describe the journey and everything. Also the way the locals respond to the American outfit that would be considered modest here. It's interesting to see how you paid attention to that. :3 Nice.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

WooErin

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much! I've got a bit more about this trip, once edited I'll add more.
deep interesting read, nicely put together

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

WooErin

11 Years Ago

Thanks for reading!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
2 Reviews
Added on July 14, 2012
Last Updated on July 14, 2012
Tags: travel, africa, funny, humor

Author

WooErin
WooErin

CA



About
Hello! I'm a writer and reader, so you'll find me spending most of my time doing both. I've lived all over the world but call the west coast of the US my home for now. Would love to meet some great cr.. more..