Faster than the Wind

Faster than the Wind

A Story by Lily
"

A short story my dad requested for Christmas. I hope you enjoy <3

"
    At the summit of a very large hill, or rather a small mountain, sits the mouth of a trail. The trail is covered with dead rust colored leaves while their more colorful brethren remain connected to their parent trees. The canopy above is a mass of red, orange, russet, and gold leaves that dance in the wind. A teenage girl jogs in place by the trail head, her ponytail swings from side to side as she surveys the trail before her. The girl is sure she cannot go back nor can she remain where she is. She chooses to move forward. Before her lies a downward path she has never been down, every twist and turn will be new and unknown. She inhales, the crisp fall air sharp in her lungs. The girl smiles as she bolts downhill.
    Leaves crumbling under her feet, the girl can't stop smiling. Her legs ache and burn from the sudden vigorous exercise she inflicts upon them, but she doesn't stop or even slow. The running is intoxicating, exhilarating. Feeling as young as a child, the girl runs faster. Her worries falling far behind, they can't keep pace. All her life the girl has dreamed of flying and running is the closest she will ever come to achieving that dream. The golden colors of fall blur as the brisk autumn wind stings her eyes, bringing tears. While jumping over even the smallest of roots, so as not to trip, the girl passes other people on the trail, but she doesn't even notice them. She's so close to flight the only thing faster than her is the wind itself. It pushes against her as though to slow her pace, but it's resistance only fuels her hunger for speed. Faster. . .must. . .run. . .FASTER The pounding of her feet match her increasing heartbeat. She pushes herself faster as the hill beneath slopes sharply. The girl doesn't even stumble as she runs full speed down the sloped trail. She feels her energy flagging, but begs her body not to fail her. The wind abruptly changes direction, instead of hindering her it begins to push her forward. The girl smiles, feeling encouraged by the unseen force and her energy flares up. Her pulse leaps as even more adrenaline is produced by her body, kicking into the highest gear she didn't even know was possible.
    Ahead of her, the girl sees a ditch in the trail five feet deep and three feet across. Pushing herself even farther, she runs faster than she ever has in her entire life. The pounding of her feet and the thrum of her heartbeat in her ears merge into one rhythm, urging her forward. She can't stop, she's too far gone. She surrenders herself to the adrenaline high and is too enthralled to care  about what could happen if she misses her mark. An inch from the lip of the crevice, the girl jumps into the air, aiming for the other side. The wind kicks up, gently caressing her face, and for a split second, a minute moment, she's flying just like she's always dreamed.

© 2014 Lily


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
Added on December 29, 2014
Last Updated on December 29, 2014

Author

Lily
Lily

KY



Writing
The Final Storm The Final Storm

A Poem by Lily