...THIS IS ONLY A TEST...

...THIS IS ONLY A TEST...

A Poem by WordKnurd

Whenever I hear the buzz of the emergency alert system there is something in me which wants it not to be a test.  I find myself craving the zombie plague, the solar storms, or the blast when Yellowstone finally blows its top.  I daydream of a time when tax forms roll like tumbleweeds down empty city streets and I don’t give a crap about the past due registration of the car I siphon gas from.  This is all silly of course since the chunky, suburban poetess is the first person to get eaten when the zombie hoard comes chomping and I would puke all over if I tried to siphon gas.  Sometimes I wonder if my mother ever wished for the real thing when they taught her to duck and cover; If the blood ever boiled beneath her plaid jumper as she kicked aside her Lone Ranger lunch pail, raised one tiny fist in the air, and told those commie b******s to do their worst.  Or did she merely crouch beneath her particle board desk, confident in the assurance that it would stop the 50 megaton bomb barreling toward her little pigtails. 

© 2016 WordKnurd


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very entertaining little musing. Breakneck topic changes with not a glitch or bump to be found.

Posted 7 Years Ago


I feel like so many people think like this in this broken, sometimes boring world. But no one ever says anything for fear of being looked at different. Of course, it's not different, it's very much human nature to want a new excitement, and a new adventure to course through. I really liked this piece, the way you say you sometimes wish it weren't a test so you could see what it was like, but also taking notice that as overly unprepared people, survival wouldn't be as fruitful as first expected. Loved this piece, an awesome poem, and a great basis for a zombie survival novel!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stephen King tapped into this mood big time when he wrote THE STAND etc. We like safe but it bores us. That said we might die if things get too exciting. I like tax form tumbleweed.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 14, 2016
Last Updated on September 14, 2016

Author

WordKnurd
WordKnurd

Houston, TX



About
"We only have one life to live, and we live it as we believe in living it, and then it is gone. But to sacrifice what you are and live without belief; that is more terrible than dying." Joan of Arc .. more..

Writing
He He

A Poem by WordKnurd