His Heart

His Heart

A Story by

“I’m leaving!”
“You said that last week too. What now? And don’t slam the door so loud, you know how easily Sophie gets headaches.”
“I can’t stand her.”
“Could you not throw your bag on my bed just now please? I’ve got the research for my history paper spread out on it.”
“Everyone thinks she’s so freakin’ special. But she’s not! I just. Don’t. Get it!”
“Give her some time Lauren, she’ll grow on you. It’s only been a couple days. Has your English 3 class gotten any better?”
“I don’t see how it could get better. She’s always around him when I want to hang out. I just can’t stand it!”
“I don’t see what the problem is.”
“Everything was going perfectly here, and then she just waltzes in and takes over my place!”
“I really do need to sign up for those dance lessons they’re offering at the sports complex on weekends. Mr. Sonley- you know, that funny old guy who always talks so much at the nursing home that I’m working at this school year?”
“I always knew she’d end up at this university. With him here, how could she not?”
“Well, he asked me to dance at the Hawaiian party last Saturday, and all I could do was step on his feet and apologize. He’s a really good dancer, and I feel horrible for being so bad.”
“I just know he was starting to fall for me. We spent so much time together. I just don’t get it.”
“I like to spend time with my friends too. I was much more comfortable dancing with Michael, one of the nurses that work the night shift. He’s got the most gorgeous brown eyes. Does this chord sound in tune?”
“He did talk about her a lot, but after being together for four years, who wouldn’t?”
“I’m taking guitar lessons from the orchestra instructor, and he’s trying to teach me to tune by ear, but I’m really struggling with it.”
“What does she have that I don’t? Is it her looks? I certainly hope not. She’s not that pretty. Is it her sense of humor? I think she’s more sarcastic than anything, but she laughs at most of what he says.”
“Would you hand me my electric tuner? It’s on my desk there by your feet. OH! Please take your feet off my desk- my painting for 3D painting is still drying on there!”
“Maybe it’s that he was her first everything. Did they go all the way? Is that why he’s hooked on her?”
“No, they’ve decided together to wait till marriage. Now would you hand me that tuner, please? Thank you.”
“I just want to know Megan, why is she so special to him?”
“There we go, that sounds better. That’s such a pretty chord!”
“Is it the way she dresses? I’ve never seen anything remarkable about it.”
“Speaking of dresses, did you see the one Mrs. Hamp was wearing today? It made History of the Americas much more interesting, which is about the best I can say about it.”
“I just wish she’d go away. I wish I didn’t have to see her pathetic little face so often. I wish she wasn’t always in his room every time I go over there. Do they spend any time apart?”
“It was this long dress, with a very full skirt- but not frilly, Mrs. Hamp would never wear frills. But the print was atrocious, all bright colors that clashed, and such a loud print- polka dots and strips.”
“Megan! You are not paying any attention to me, are you?!”
“I’m listening Lauren, I really am. I’m just not that worried about it. I think they’re the sweetest couple.”
“Oh please. That’s disgusting.”
“Not really.”
“Well will you at least answer one question for me?”
“Sure, what’s that?”
“What does she have that I don’t?”






“His heart.”

© 2010


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ah, such a common story to many.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
1 Review
Added on January 19, 2010
Last Updated on January 19, 2010

Author


Writing
What Happens? What Happens?

A Poem by


Don't Blink Don't Blink

A Poem by