The Second Fate, alternitvly: The Bread Pan

The Second Fate, alternitvly: The Bread Pan

A Story by

 

Times were tough during the great depression and I have never personally wished to experience it on a first hand experience. But nothing could possibly compare to this era for the mischief of Fairies during this time, except that of the French revolution (oh I shudder at the thought). now some of you may call me crazy but currently I clap my hands and yell to the skies “I Do Believe In Fairies” now I have long been interested in the existence of such creatures and will constantly believe in them, but not as if they were a tangible thing.

The term fairy refers to one of several possible things the first is a mischievous child, just someone who wishes to make trouble. The second is adapted from the child within each of us. Meaning that we ourselves have a longing to do good. I personally believe that this is true. Every human no matter how despicable is truly in possession of a part of him or herself that wishes to do good, the key is simply to find it. Some times this may come as a thought or a feeling, others it is stronger, for children they often have imaginary friends that though they may blame them are truly that part of them.

This next story is the tale of one such friend and the magic that truly creates the good in the world around us.


“But mother it wasn’t me” little Alexander protested, “It was silver-mist”

This was the third time that little Alexander had stolen a cookie and that was all his mother could observe. She had never experienced the joy of having an imaginary friend and now it was driving her insane that her son had one. Alexander said that “silver-mist” was his only friend and the only person who was ever nice to him; this of cores did not please his mother.

“Oh and I suppose that silver-mist also got the other two and placed them on your bed” she growled at Alexander “then let me tell you what you and silver-mist are both to go to bed without any supper”

“but” Alexander protested

“Go” his mother stamped her foot and pointed toward the hall “Now”

Grumpily little Alexander marched off to his bedroom.

“I was only trying to be nice” the cat said jumping down from the bed and walking over to Alexander

I will begin referring to Alexander as Alex

“silver-mist you got me grounded” Alexander yelled at the approaching cat “and now I’m not allowed to have any supper” Alex stamped his foot angrily, much like his mother, and then went and sat down on his bed.

“Sorry but I told you I was just trying to get rid of your growling stomach” silver-mist jumped up onto the bed but was pushed off again by a resenting Alex “it was getting worse”

“well I don’t care now I’m just going to get even more hungry because now I don’t get any dinner” Alex was beginning to cry and silver-mist once again jumped up onto the bed and tried to get close to Alex only to have the boy push him away again.

“I don’t want you here anymore” Alex cried, “go away”

The cat looked at the boy dumbfounded “go away” silver-mist muttered “but I thought I was your friend, we do everything together”

“not any more” Alex yelled at him and then crossed the room and headed to the window and opened it “get out of here I never want to see you again” Alex was crying buckets now and showing no sings of stopping”

“But” silver-mist objected

“Go” Alex mimicked his mom and stamped his foot “now” and then he crossed to his bed again and laid his head into the pillow and cried

Silver-mist jumped up onto the window ledge and looked out at the city of New York “Where will I go” he muttered and then turned and recited a poem he new


Friendship is a bread pan

The rolls are placed in

Though separate at first

Through the heat of conflict

Grow together as one


And with that silver-mist jumped out the window.


The days that fallowed were filled with Darkness for both the boy and the cat. The boy shortly fell ill much like many people were doing, while the cat that no one could see wondered endlessly through the streets.

During the day the cat searched for an open window and a new friend but times were hard and he could not find one. People had closed the minds and there hearts to the good in the world and sought only to live as they did. He was closed out of the joy of sharing life and was forced to live as the shadow he truly was.

During the night he slept in dark alleyways and moaned in the endless misery that hunted him he never could truly be happy and that is all he knew.

Days turned into weeks then into mouths then eventually into a year. Finally the cat decided to return to the window and so he did. He traveled across the city and the walk took him almost three days and it was then that he realized just how far he had come since he had been forced away by the boy.

Finally the cat reached the window and quickly he climbed up the fire escape to the window and to his amazement he found it open. He cautiously approached and there he saw to his horror the boy laying in bed a year older and seconds from death.

The cat entered no force in the universe could stop him. The cat ran to the boy and jumped up onto the bed. The boy was sick hot and sweaty not able to move and gasping for breath.

The cat stood looking at the boy and then the most amazing thing that could have happened did. The cat shed a tear. First one for the boy, then another for there separation, than a third for the error that had caused the suffering, and still more tears each with sorrow and remorse that the cat felt, still the boy lay there.

The cat did not move for a long time until the door slowly opened and the window shut. The boy was his, if only for a few precious moments the boy was his again and nothing could change that.

The mother turned to look at the boy then turned to leave, at the door she stopped then turned and saw a sight that made her catch her breath. There on the boys chest was a cat. Nothing fancy but it was there. Tears came to the mothers eyes she knew that cat, just as she knew the boy or herself. She smiled then turned to leave and in her mind she heard the words sung to her long ago by a small friend that she had forgotten.


Friendship is a bread pan

The rolls are placed in

Though separate at first

Through the heat of conflict

Grow together as one

she turned and left the boy and his friend and stepped away from both still figures forever.

© 2011


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really liked the story minus the errors


Posted 12 Years Ago


nice! there are some grammatical errors. like New instead of Knew and such. words that are spelled right, but aren't the right word.
good job though. I like it!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
2 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 2, 2011
Last Updated on June 2, 2011

Author


Writing
Return Return

A Poem by


Dragonnest Files Dragonnest Files

A Book by