Heat

Heat

A Story by Writer868
"

Sci Fi Fiction

"

Starlight is a single thread that binds the multiverse together. It is a beautiful, pure, form of energy that can be found in the past, present and future. This is something that Sarafina knew but could not explain. She always felt a connection with this unique for of energy that flowed throughout the galaxy. As Sarafina sat beneath the naked night sky, away from the pollution of unnatural light, she knew that something was suddenly not right.


Hours passed as Sarafina meditated and was finally able to fall asleep. The canvas of night slowly slipped away, causing many far-off balls of light to retreat and make way for the King of the Earth’s Sky. The Sun awoke to what seemed to be a different, unsettled planet. Sarafina’s intuition, as always, was right.


The Earth seemed to simmer upon a gigantic intergalactic stove fuelled by a thousand scorching Suns. A thick layer of smoke hovered in the still air and teamed up with the lingering dust to add to the rising heat. Many scientists felt as though thermometers would soon burst at their seams and life itself would evaporate. Indeed, it was the hottest day yet in fifty centuries. Of course, many Humans were unaware of this.  


The ocean, river, lake or any body of water seemed like the most appealing options, and the only way to save lives. However, as unrealistic as it may seem, scientists were fearful that soon any gathering of water would begin to boil and warned persons to stay away.


Amidst the heat wave and the potential vaporization of Humanity, Elaina could be found engrossed in her favourite Chemistry textbook, “Against All Odds”. It was a strange name for a textbook of Chemistry; however, it was so named to discourage individuals from reading the chaotic and potentially hazardous content. Generally, Chemistry texts with titles such as “Alkanes, Alkenes, Alkynes and Alchemy”; “What and Which Matters?”; “Organic Chemistry for the Inorganic” and “Tales by the Bunsen Burner” were more of a hit. Elaina collected them all.


The finest experiment ever created came about as a result of the most basic chapter from “Against All Odds”. The golden petri dish that held Experiment 404 was usually placed in a prized corner, far away from any activity in the lab, and potential contamination. However, as Elaina inspected the area, she realised that Exp. 404 had been moved! She was absolutely mortified to find out that the cherished petri dish had been placed upon a large Bunsen burner and had been used to seemingly create smoke and dust.


That day, the end had come. Fire and brimstone finally fell from the sky but not as any of the great books had predicted it.


Experiment 404 was the first to generate life, to foster minute particles that formed what we know as planets, clusters of stars and dust. It was our solar system and it held Earth. Sadly, after 20 intergalactic years of keeping the petri dish safe, it was either intentionally or accidentally burnt to ash by an Alien who wasn’t very good at performing labs and so destroyed the most valuable experiment in several lifetimes.


Indeed, Safarina’s intuition told her that something was awry with the Earth but she had no idea that it was the end of the World as she knew it. Just like the Earth happened to be created in an unknown Alien’s lab, so too it suddenly dissipated. None of the Aliens were even sure if they would be able to recreate Exp. 404, now to be called Exp. 405.

 

© 2022 Writer868


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

35 Views
Added on September 23, 2022
Last Updated on September 23, 2022

Author

Writer868
Writer868

Trinidad and Tobago



Writing