Avergate

Avergate

A Story by Grapho

BRRR-RRRR-RRRRINGGG. The class bell sounded for everyone to sit themselves down. It was the first day of Mrs.Abercombie's third-grade class. The students all found a seat to sit in and the teacher asked each one to introduce themselves, in alphabetical order. First up was Alexandria Smith - when asked by the teacher she responded "..." . She was shy, pretty, and quiet. "It's okay to speak up." Mrs.Abercombie told her. With that, the shy girl responded "...I like animals." Then the class moved onto the next student - Bobby McCallister. He confidently described himself as "Very strong and could fight any animal." The teacher and class laughed as they moved onto the next child in the room with the name of "Courtney  Cunningham". "I've always been told I'm very pretty and I love dolls and the color pink. One day I will be a princess!" the conceited student stated with prim. "Ok then," Mrs.Abercombie laughed "on with the rest of the class..."

...the introductions continued until they were nearing the end of those who had not introduced themselves yet. The following student was Jimmy. Jimmy Halborne. "Ok, it's your tur-".... "I'm an avergate student." Jimmy replied. "Oh my, quick on the ball. I like that in my students. However, did you mean to say average student, Jimmy?" he gave her a disgruntled look. "No, I'm an avergate student. Avergate." "I don't think that is an actual word Jimmy. You know what, this is the perfect opportunity for a lesson! I have a dictionary here everyone can share and we can look up the meaning of the word Jimmy has just used. I think we'll all learn something today." Mrs.Abercombie used her teaching experience to apply it to a lesson. "Yes, yes. I think we all will." Jimmy replied. Mrs.Abercombie gave him a concerned look and turned the pages to the AV section of the book....

After passing the book around the room for everyone to see, Mrs.Abercombie asked a question once it rotated back to Jimmy. "Do you see here, the word Average is the closest word we can find. Are you sure this isn't the word you were thinking of?" "I'm positive." Jimmy replied. "You see, Avergates are portals between our world and a fantasy realm where all kinds of things are possible. You can jump in and out of them whenever you see one to get where you need to g-" he was cut off. "Now, now, this isn't the time to be playing with your imagnation. Please introduce yourself properly." he was sternly lectured by Mrs.Abercombie.

Jimmy sighed.

"I'm not the average third-grade student."
"I"m Xanthor Zavier, from the world beyond the Avergate."

© 2015 Grapho


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
Added on March 7, 2015
Last Updated on March 7, 2015
Tags: kids, adventure, school, avergate, portals, xanthor

Author

Grapho
Grapho

Writing
Early to Die Early to Die

A Story by Grapho