The Room

The Room

A Story by Wyrmspawn
"

A card game takes place, in a strange room, with strange players.

"

Everything in the room was dark. Sunlight, filtered through the drapes, became a pale shade of deathly grey. The sparse furniture, placed in the center of the room, were painted black. The players were dressed in proper black suits, and the wine glinted dark red in their translucent glasses.


The sound of shuffling cards filled the room.


"Will you begin this time?"


"I would not decline the invitation."


The conversation was short, polite, and to the point. No faked friendliness with these people.


With a flick of the wrist, a jet-black card floated from his hands, fluttered like an autumn leaf, and finally settled down face-up on the center of the table. King of Diamonds.


"I challenge." The second player reached for a card.


"A bluff." Replied the first. He sat facing the window - and it was quite clear that there was no doubt in his death-grey face.


"Believe what you will."


A flick of the wrist. Another leaf left the branch. With slow, almost taunting movements, the card spun like a struck helicopter until it settled down exactly on the first.


The Ace of Diamonds.


Without another word, the first player stood. He walked across the room, as slowly and nonchalantly as if he was on an evening stroll. A man in a grey suit stepped up, offering him his coat, hat, and walking-stick. With a perfunctory nod, the doors swung open.


The man was gone.


"I challenge."


The third player - his back to the window, his face in the shadows.


Silence reigned in the room. The shuffling cards ceased.


With a slow, almost lazy motion, a jet-black arrow blazed forth from his hands.


A thud resounded through the room.


The Three of Hearts stood, quivering, dead centre on the table. Beside it sat two pieces of what had been the Ace of Diamonds.


Without breaking silence, the second player smiled - a sickly, poisonous smile.


"Well played."


"Thank you."


There were no more words. The doors swung open. And then there were two.


"Will you challenge?"


"Don't believe I will."


A smile, visible even from within the shadows.


Rubbing his hands together, the fourth player sighed. Slowly, he opened his palms, letting the fine, papery dust trickle through his fingers into the carpet below.


The third player stiffened as though struck by an electric shock. He unfurled his hands from the table like a retreating beast. Then, stumbling slightly as he came to his feet, he, too, left the room.


The sound of shuffling resumed in the darkness.

© 2015 Wyrmspawn


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

50 Views
Added on May 1, 2015
Last Updated on May 1, 2015

Author

Wyrmspawn
Wyrmspawn

Hong Kong, Hong Kong



About
I'm not a very good writer and I know it. I'm here because I hope that I could receive some pointers on how to improve. I'd really appreciate it if some of the reviewers would take the time to just .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Wyrmspawn


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Wyrmspawn