Love's Arrow

Love's Arrow

A Story by Tori
"

A quick summary of a more detailed Story I plan to right.

"
  "Stupid worthless tramp!" 
I cried out in fear and surprise as I was flung to the cold ground. The intense pain snaked it's way up my arm as jagged rocks and dirt scrapped against my skin. I felt a tear rolling over the new bruise which I could feel forming on my cheek. As I picked myself up from the dirt covered earth, I wondered why I was still surprised. Why I still never saw it coming. Why I still cried. 
"I'm sorry, Grandmother." I spoke clearly and emotionless, trying as hard as I could to mask my dismay. The one thing I was used to was the manner in which I was to address my grandmother. If a single beam of emotion shone through my mask, she would punish me for being weak. I couldn't show her any sort of reaction. 
"Good. Now, get the hell out of my sight. Worthless trash," she sputtered, droplets of alcohol spewing from her mouth. I nodded and turned my back on her. Even as I faced the old wooden door, I could still see her angry old face etched into my mind. Her wrinkles were deep, each one emphasized by her pale, translucent skin. Her eyes were narrow and black, like those of a raven. She was thin, yet I towered over her by several inches. Even with the height of a child of 12, her brute strength was enough to knock a full grown man to the ground. Thus, I stood no chance against her. 
I sighed and pushed open the door, sending a violent shriek into the air. As I stepped out into the cold winter night, I felt a sharp pain burn through my back. I didn't flinch. I could feel the blade pushing into my back and the hot blood dripping down the backside of my dress. I ignored the pain and walked calmly outside. Once the door was closed behind me, I crumpled to the ground, howling in agony. Though the knife wasn't deep enough to cause any serious damage, Grandma had dug it in deep enough to send me into a void of darkness.

The wretched shrill of ravens echoed in my ear, causing me snap to up straight. I twisted my head frantically, trying to locate where I was. Then I saw him. He was massive. His eyes were that of a clear spring, and as piercing as an arrow. His gigantic fangs poked through his black muzzle. He appeared as a mere shadow. Even though his glared at me with a heart stopping hate, I had never felt so at ease and safe in my entire lamentable life. 
The beast stood and slowly walked towards me, his head low to the ground, his eyes staring. I shuddered in fear and excitement. Such a thrill. The monster snarled his teeth and quickened his pace. I smiled coyly as the ebony wolf rested its forehead on my shoulder. I closed my eyes and could feel the fur thinning out with every passing second. Soon, the exhilarating contact of skin on skin forced my eyes open. I stroked the shaggy brown hair of the man who now kneeled before. 
"Hello, my love," I whispered. The man lifted his head and stared into my eyes. There they were. Those brilliant blue irises. I sighed as the warmth of his presence overtook me. I pressed my lips to his. His soft, gentle, warm lips...
"Faolean!" he cried, wrapping his arms around me. I smiled. 
"Thank you for healing me."
"You noticed." It was more a statement than a question. He was aware of my attentiveness to everything around me, even the comfortability of my own body. 
We remained in silence, staring into each other's eyes. 
"I have to go," I said calmly, my voice remaining steady. He sighed. 
"Please. Be careful. That woman is growing more ruthless with each visit. Please. Be careful." His eyes no longer held the rage I had witnessed earlier. I knew his anger was not a fault of mine, it was that of Grandmother's. His hate for her burned brighter than that of the sun. 
"I love you. Goodbye," I whispered, kissing his forehead. He returned my kiss.
"I love you, too."
I drew my crimson cloak tighter over my trembling body and stumble through the woods, reluctant to return to the confides of my home. 

I stared her in the eyes. They were filled with sorrow and pain. Though they never expressed any optimistic emotion, I could sense that today was different. 
"Mother...what troubles you?" I asked, pulling back the hood of my cloak. 
"I...I'm so sorry..." she muttered, a deep frown imprinted into her forehead. Her eyes were glazed over as if she was on the verge of tears. 
"Mother? What ever is the matter?" My voice shook, fear beginning to rise within me. What had happened? Had she lost the house? The land? Had our only source for food passed away? Perhaps the well had dried? I never would have suspected the hell that was seconds away from unfolding.
"You are to be wed to Adler, the huntsman."
My heart stopped. "What?"
"3 moons shall pass til you are to be promised to him. I'm so sorry."
"Mother...why?" I stammered, my voice dying along with my spirit.
"I'm so sorry. The man is wealthy. He promised to pay off our debts in return for your hand. I'm so sorry!" 
I would hear no more. Rage over took my senses. I pushed her aside and hurried to gather my things. I ignored her obnoxious sobs and searched frantically for my prize. I cried out in triumph as I snatched the wrapped parcel in my hands an dashed out the door. I was not giving in. I would not let her take away the only thing I owned. My freedom. I didn't think I would ever see my mother again. And, truthfully, I didn't care. It would have suited me just fine if she dropped dead where she stood. 
I trampled through the forest, not taking the usual precautions I followed when making my way through the dead woods. My eyes flashed with rage as I saw the tiny cabin sitting upon the hill. I burst open the door, screaming in rage. There she was, lying facedown on the floor, an empty wine bottle in her hand. I removed the dagger from the tightly wrapped animal skin. Without a second thought, I raised the dagger and brought it down into her back. I repeated the action more times than I could possibly count. 
"THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!" I screeched. "It's...it's all your fault..." I murmured those words again and again as I sat on the floor, caked in Grandmother's blood. That was how he found me. I was still muttering those words when he wrapped his animal skin tunic around my shoulders and escorted me away from the house. 
"Shh...it'll be alright. Shh," he soothed. I could feel his transparently blue eyes on me, wondering if I was sane. Little did he know I wondered the same thing. 
I stopped and turned to look him in the eyes. "Caiden?"
"Yes, my love?"
"Let's runaway. I won't live here any longer and I cannot live at all without you."
He smiled. "Of course. We will go far away from here. Somewhere no one will ever find us. I smiled at the comforting reassurance of his words. I kissed his lips gently, my eyes instinctually closing at the touch. I felt the weight of Caiden's body go limp against my own. I pulled away.
"Caiden are you-" I stopped in mid sentence as blood spurted from his trembling lips. I noticed his hands grasping his stomach. I looked down...and screamed in horror. 
The arrow had gone straight through his torso and the tip was exposed. Blood had cloaked his chest, thighs and hands. I shook my head as he collapsed to the ground. 
"Caiden!" I exclaimed, running my hands over his face. His eyes were still open, that meant he was alive. Right? Didn't it? His chest wasn't moving. I could feel no pulse. I screamed, shaking his body violently. "CAIDEN! Wake up! Please! Please! Please...wake up..."
It was no use. The life had vanished from him. The color in his eyes had faded into a dull, sorrowful blue. His mouth hung slightly ajar, blood pooling in the back of his throat. He was gone. My only light of happiness, gone. The one true person who I ever loved that loved me in return. Dead. Lifeless. Completely gone. I lied there and sobbed over his dead body, refusing to leave his side. Then, I felt a pair of strong hands rest gently on my shoulders. I turned quickly, ready to kill who dared to disturb my misery. The man was tall with a square face and unshaven beard. His eyes were as brown as the soil. He wore the colors of the forest to keep himself camouflaged from his prey. He had laid his bow and quiver down and was trying to comfort me. There he stood. My newest sworn enemy and, in 3 days, my husband. Adler. 
 

© 2010 Tori


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
Added on December 3, 2010
Last Updated on December 3, 2010

Author

Tori
Tori

A little town where the dead come out to play, GA



About
Don't click here! Alright, Hello Everybody! Um I love to read, write, and draw and I hope to become a artist or graphic designer. I also Hope to become and Author and open my own Tattoo Parlor one.. more..

Writing
Mary Jane Mary Jane

A Poem by Tori