The Boy Who Didn't Believe

The Boy Who Didn't Believe

A Story by YM23

The Boy who Didn’t Believe


He lived in his world, did not care for others. He played with sticks, he entertained rocks.

He sang for the birds and danced for the pups. He celebrated the storms and weeped for falling leaves. He was a boy that loved honestly and completely. He was a boy that remained ever your friend.


He ran through fields to reach the pond. He had often come across this place and chose to return as it pleased him so. Above the pond on a high placed hill, a mighty Oak gave him shade. How refreshing it was to have some shelter among the wide fields that surrounded it. The boy caught his breath and ran off once more in the open land, seeking thrills.


Day by day, he found himself back under the Oak more and more. He discovered his growing need for the safety it provided. It was a warm day, when sudden rage overcame the boy, a rage that made him kick the tree’s trunk with as much force as his frail body permitted.

It then the Oak grumbled and spoke, “why must you pain me, when i have done nought but protect you?”

The Boy looked up teary-eyed and answered, “because now i need you.” He fell on his knees as exhaustion overcame his muscles.

The Oak carried on, “it is ok to need me, let me give you shade, let me protect you Boy”

The Boy’s anger rose once more, “No! If i let you protect me, i will not be able to protect myself, and what will become of me when you leave?”

“But I will not leave, dear Boy,” said the Oak, “I have stood at this very spot for centuries, and I shall remain here for twice as long.”

“I do not believe you” replied the Boy.

“I will not leave, dear Boy” repeated the Oak.


The Boy pondered on that for a moment, then whispered,

“I once had a fish, we played together all day, and then he swam away and never came back.” he paused and then pursued,

“I once held a fallen bird. I fed him and kept him warm, and then he flew away.” He sat at the base of the Oak, his back resting on his trunk, arms folded around his knees.

“I once had a frog by the pond, we croaked and burped all day, and then he jumped away.

I once had a funny looking stone, i threw it in the fields all day, and then I lost it in the flowers.

You will fly away as well, and I will not find shade again.

I do not believe you”


The Oak lowered its branches as if to comfort the Boy. “I have been here for ever, and will stand here for ever, the storms may try to wash me away, the ground may attempt to uproot me. Someday, one of them may succeed,

but until then little Boy, i will stand here and give you shade,

until then, I will stand tall and guide you back,

until then, my leaves will comfort you,

until then, my trunk will give you rest.”


The Boy remained silent for a long while, thought of nothing apart from the air going to and fro his lungs. He breathed the cool air that surrounded him, picking up scents of fresh grass and sweet summer sweat that tickled his forehead. He could feel the Oak’s humid moss on his back as it transpired through his shirt, his nerves seemed heightened to the tickling sensation of the grass on his legs. He looked beyond the fields to the setting sun, the colors of the sky were too many to count.

The Boy remained still until the chants of the birds faded and the night crickets began their tune. It only took seconds before the chill breeze he enjoyed earlier felt like a cold shower in the morning and the grass that timidly tickled him now felt like shards of glass piercing his skin.

The Boy slowly stood up,

He whispered to the Oak as he walked away,

“I do not believe you”
YM

© 2014 YM23


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This story is incredibly powerful. The last few lines in particular made me quite sad, they were really well placed after the vivid description of all the benefits the Oak gave the boy. I think either way this story is effective in the way the boy deflects his resentment for the actions of others upon the blameless Oak, though I initially read it as the Oak being a metaphor for God. That's how I read it but either way the relationship between the boy and the Oak is very clever.

Posted 9 Years Ago


YM23

9 Years Ago

Thank you Klaus. Actually, I tried to portray the Oak as a symbol for anything or anyone the reader .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
1 Review
Added on August 7, 2014
Last Updated on August 7, 2014
Tags: Abandon, Lonely, Love, Friendship

Author

YM23
YM23

About
Writing is a mean to communicate, it's an art to describe what we see and feel. In my work, I try to be as accurate and precise to paint a vivid image of my thoughts. more..

Writing
Goodbye Goodbye

A Poem by YM23


Broken City Broken City

A Poem by YM23


Stainless Glass Stainless Glass

A Poem by YM23