The Sacrifice

The Sacrifice

A Story by Avery Valentine
"

a short story of a possible new story I might create.

"

Elena Durante Drago is the name I was given by my birth parents when I was a mere child. I don’t know who they are or where they are but I do know how they looked fourteen years ago. According to the old picture my mother left me before leaving me in an orphanage, they were both dark haired with light brown eyes.

I gasp as the bell rings and stand up to stretch my body like a cat who just finished taking a nap.

I walk through the halls of my school in small steps, after all I have nowhere to go after this so no need to hurry really.

“Elena!” Luna shouts as she waves her pale hands around like a maniac, making me feel embarrassed as people stop to stare at us.

“yeah, yeah” I walk over to her as she moves towards me fast making her long black hair that is tied in a ponytail swing from side to side. “I heard you, no need to make a show.”

She giggles as she looks over at Sebastian the popular guy in class. “hey how about we hang out today after school with the guys?”

I look over at Sebastian who is talking to Rodrick. “no thanks, you can take Mia” I look at Luna who’s now looking at me with sad puppy eyes.

“Why are you so distant with me?” she asks as she tilts her head to her side.

Like I would ever tell her that I’m pissed off at her for making plans with her new friend Mia last week.

“I’m just busy, besides its two guys, you only need one more girl to go with you. I highly doubt you want to make Mia feel bad for not inviting her” she looks over at me as her dark brown eyes glisten lightly and I see her eyes become watery. “I also need this…” silence fills the air as I sigh softly “I need this alone time to think.” She looks at me and then decides something inside of her mind and finally gives in.

I sigh as I walk out of the schools doors. Knowing Luna I’m sure she’s up to something, she doesn’t just give up that easily.

As I walk towards my house I see a big sign besides a small house across the school saying ‘Yard Sale!’

Curiously I walk towards the yard sale and I observe a table filled with old cables and books. I walk some more until a small necklace with four bracelets on the sides is displayed. The small necklace has a diamond with a red blood color with a tint of black in the middle of it.

I can’t help but say to myself inside of my head ‘the heart of darkness’

Around a minute passes when I realize that I have been staring at this small delicacy and decide to purchase it.

The moment I get home I shower and put on some dark blue jeans with a black top making it easier for me to move. I can’t help but stare at the necklace in my hand.

There seems to be something about it that calls out to me and my soul. The moment I touch the crystal with the palm of my hand I can’t help but feel this warm tingly sensation.

Liking this feeling I tighten my grip and suddenly it begins to shine a bright red. I try to let it go but my body is completely frozen as I stare at it shocked. After a while the red light becomes so blinding that I close my eyes and I’m left in the darkness of what seems to be nothing.

 

It’s been around two years since the day when I bought that necklace in the yard sale. I’m now currently nineteen years old and I’m currently working as a bodyguard.

Well at least that’s what you would call it where I come from but apparently in the middle of Venice, Italy I’m known as an assassin.

The moment the darkness took ahold of me I woke up in the past. At first it took me a while to accept things and I wanted to go back to the present so badly, but now I have learned to accept that I will never be able to escape this place.

Knowing that I began to work for a man named Romano Rossi Drago who looks exactly like how the man on the picture of my father looks like. Weirdly he is married to a woman named Rosa Rotolo Drago who looks like my mother, I suspect them to be my great, great grandparents.

Romano is a man of power, he is well respected and is the head of a creed of assassins. Many confuse us with a cult but that doesn’t really matter to him.

At first he opposed to a woman becoming an assassin due to me being naturally weak but I proved them wrong. They later gave me as a gift the tattoo of a dragon on my right arm for passing my instructor’s tests early and I have to say that I’m quite proud of it.

I walk over to Romano who stands on top of a building besides the one we are supposed to keep secure and I’m thrilled to see some robbers enter the building with masks on their faces.

Nothing seems to excite me more than the fresh delicacy of stupidity. Romano walks over to the side of the building and jumps making all of us know that it’s time to begin the show.

 

The moment we enter the building through the windows I can’t help but grin as I throw a knife and it lands on the neck of a robber.

I can hear men and women gasp as they all look at us in terror. I’m currently covered with a dark hood that hides my face and my body as I walk towards the middle of the room while my friends kill off the rest of the men. I suddenly freeze when I see a girl with long black hair holding the arm of a young guy with short brown hair.

My heart begins to pound fast as I look at them smile to each other. Her dark brown eyes glisten in the light as she looks up to look at the young man smile for her in what seems to be reassurement.

Suddenly a small pain passes through my heart and I’m brought back to reality. ‘This is the past’

I laugh bitterly at myself when I see a girl with blonde blue eyes besides them as she hold the arm of a guy with dark brown hair and dark brown eyes. I can’t help but wish for them to be the same people I knew in the world where I came from.

“Elena” I hear Romano say as he stands in front of the man who seems to be the one who hired us. “Please pay your respects to Sr. Mathew.”

I slowly walk towards him as everyone stares at me wondering about how I look since I still have my hood on. I slowly pull the cloth that covers my body to the left side of my body revealing my dragon tattoo on my right arm as I kneel and take off my hood slowly. “I’m Elena Durante Drago, it’s a pleasure to meet you”

I can’t help but look besides me towards the gasps that I heard as my eyes go wide when I hear the man with brown hair pull on the girl with long black hair as she looks towards me with tears on her eyes.

“Luna, it’s not her” he says as he holds her waist.

“But she looks… she has the exact same name” she says back as she looks at me and whispers my name “Elena”

My eyes open wide at the sudden realization that they are the Luna and Sebastian that I had left in the present. I look over at the girl with blonde hair as she opens her eyes wide and looks up at the guy with dark brown hair besides her. ‘Mia and Rodrick’

I slowly stand up from the floor as I look at each of their wrists. They are wearing the bracelets that were located besides my necklace in the yard sale from two years ago.

My eyes roam to the ring finger of Luna which currently contains a promise ring and I look over at Sebastian who is now looking at me with a questioning look.

Judging by the way they are all dressed it seems that they all landed in families with power and wealth. It also seems that Luna, my best friend is promised to the guy she has always liked since middle school. I sigh as I put all the pieces of the puzzle together and I put my index finger on the crystal of the necklace in my neck.

If we could possibly go back to the present Luna might lose her relationship with the number one person she loves the most. I take one small step back as Luna widens her eyes at my reaction.

“It is… it really is you” she says in a low voice as she whimpers sadly at the space between us.

I smile as I cover my body with the cloth part of my hood and I say “I thought the ladies from the high class society didn’t cry in public”

I hear everyone gasp in disgust to my rude comment and I take another step back. I look over at Romano to get his approval as he nods knowing that I want to leave.

The moment I see him close his eyes in approval I turn and run towards a window and jump out of it. Knowing that if I could be right and the necklace with the bracelets together can somehow bring us back to the present to where Luna will never be happy, to where I will be back to being an orphan and back to the place that I no longer belong could be right I pull the necklace off my neck and throw it in the waters of Venice where no one will ever be able to find it.

Throughout the two years that I have lived as an assassins apprentice and an assassin I have learned that happiness is sacrifice, and today I’m willing to sacrifice something. I’m willing to sacrifice the world I once knew, the safe feeling of that world. I’m willing to sacrifice my future.

© 2015 Avery Valentine


Author's Note

Avery Valentine
sorry if it has any mistakes, please do enjoy and tell me your opinions on it if you can. that would be great.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Out standing write Miss Valentine enjoy your insightful writings was very entertaining and well thought out.

Posted 6 Years Ago


This is intriguing Avery, I really like the ending and also your writing style. Keep at it.
Cheers

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Avery Valentine

8 Years Ago

Thank you!
Amory Grey

8 Years Ago

My pleasure.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 3, 2015
Last Updated on October 3, 2015
Tags: assassins, love, loss, sacrifice

Author

Avery Valentine
Avery Valentine

About
To me writing is like a bad drug that only does bad to my health but i can't seem to be able to quit. more..

Writing
within within

A Story by Avery Valentine