The Last Vestige of Purity

The Last Vestige of Purity

A Poem by Z_Assaad
"

A poem of friendship.

"

The Lasting Vestige of Purity

By: Ziad Assaad


In lieu of your friends, I sit.

I bide my time, and observe from a distance. 

I am saved for last in your network of influence and acquaintance.

So, I wait pleasantly for that moment when our eyes meet. 

The moment we greet one another, with arms embraced. 


Be still; I am reserved.

Patient...

It is hard when her beauty, in an instance, defines my existence and vindicates the reason I was born.

My stomach turns in anticipation.


"There! In front of me, finally! She is exactly as I remember, 'A last vestige of purity, a standing testament to souls and minds akin.' "

I am awestruck in her sight. 

Electricity surges through my chest, felt with each expanse of breath.

Warm waves of red crash over my cheeks, and speckle my skin with sweat.


With scrutiny, she looked right through me, beyond my flesh and bone. Deep within my soul.

Suddenly, her eyes stop and focus in on me.

Sitting back she mumbles words between two puffs of smoke, pausing only to peek through the cloud of grey and offer me a toke.

I politely said, "No thanks." and stretched a smile for what seemed like miles across the landscape of my face.

This is what I should have done, instead, I sat quite oddly, quiet.


I recall what she said next, because I devoured her every word as if it was sustenance for my soul. 

Awakening my primitive mind, she set fire to feelings depraved, and deprived. 

Feelings I had for so long tried to hide.


My Spirit consumed me and in utterances cried,

"Break free from these shackles that bind you inside. Inspire freedom! Flee from this prison I have fashioned within my own mind."


In infancy ones existence subsists albeit shapeless, empty, and without essence.

Age, and life afford us the solution.

The things we see, the people we meet, the media machine, 

The Silver Screen, all influence and nurture new ideas within ones being.


All that's required are two participants serving as counterparts in a mutual existence, a symbiosis in life's experience.

Both must be willing to forego themselves, at times, to benefit the other.

A friend's ultimate service lies in helping positive growth.

A true friend is unequivocal; just as all Truth is absolute.

Neither time nor distance, sway upon the one who's well equipped. 

Free of conditions and exceptions is the value of True Friendship.

© 2015 Z_Assaad


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
Added on January 1, 2015
Last Updated on January 2, 2015

Author

Z_Assaad
Z_Assaad

Salinas, CA



About
My name is Ziad M. Assaad. Most people initially think my middle initial stands for Muhammed. It does not. It stands for Mustafah...no, seriously, my middle name is Matthew. My mother wanted to ma.. more..

Writing
Turtle Turtle

A Story by Z_Assaad