Kristallnacht

Kristallnacht

A Story by Zaitoichi
"

The beginning of an extinction

"
I was in my home when I heard the news. Sitting on the boot-worn steps of my wooden patio, listening to the radio, and looking out beyond the dark rolling plains that ultimately end upon town lights. The clear demonic voice that awoke the beasts projected from the small box. Not too long afterwards the general population was under its spell. Thousands of shards of glass spewed upon the streets like sharp snow directed by clouds of misguided hatred. I recognize the sudden haste of survival as my heart stomps with my muddy boots as I gather my belongings scattered around my 2 room farmhouse. I didn't know how much time I had but the hard knocks at the door surely let me know. Before I could prepare to defend myself, a large body shoves its way through as if the door was open.

Trying to see past my heavy head pumped full of adrenaline I recognize Ernst, a long family friend who was certainly more prepared for this night than I was. He says to me, "Otto, they are coming. Emma and the kids are in the car. We have to go. Now!". Its hard to move knowing there's a possibility that your going to die soon. Ernst followed the conspiracy theories more than I did, but he started to make a hell of a lot more sense now. The plan of purging from the outside in, reduce the risk of little mice slipping through cracks. However; the purging was long enacted by the high government before the radio broadcast. They were hours ahead of us little mice scurrying around. As i was in the other room the sound of screams came from outside, and immediately afterwards i hear a distraught Ernst speaking to someone other than me.

They were already here.

I squeezed through the trapdoor under my cot to the crawlspace under the house. I heard then boots flood above me. They were directed with one purpose, to find the mice. As I'm crawling to the moonlit hole that exits to the back of my house a single gunshot earthquakes the space. There wasn't time to freeze in remorse, I had to get out. Crawling through the exit of the crawlspace I see the woods in the short distance. I freeze on my hands and knees as a long, dark, snake like figure stands above me with his weapon drawn. All that could be heard that moment was the word that started an extinction.

"Jew."

© 2016 Zaitoichi


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

62 Views
Added on July 24, 2016
Last Updated on July 24, 2016
Tags: war, government, conspiracy, history

Author