Dance

Dance

A Story by Marion Finnerty
"

A story I heard long ago about the differences between Men's and Women's dances as they were taught generations ago.

"
When dance first emerged amongst people, men were taught how to dance from Mother Earth. They were taught how to keep a piece of themselves connected to the ground always in respect of that underneath their feet and everything around them.

They began to hold dances and sing to Mother Earth and all her spirits in deference.

Eventually women began to say we want to dance too. So the men
tried to teach women how to dance. But women told the men, no. We bear your children, and we learn from a very young age how to keep a home and how to support our families in every way we can. In dance, we know what to do. You will leave us be while we take a night to dance amongst ourselves.

Bewildered, the men took the younger children that needed care and left the older girls that were able to stay and dance with the others. The men returned the next day to find everyone sleeping at a late hour, some still in dancing clothes, and some even sleeping in the dancing circle. They again tried to explain to the women how to dance but again were rebuffed.

And so, well before the men were given their dances, did the women know their own. They were given dances that would give freedoms and allow no other worldly constraints than to replenish their minds, bodies and spirits. Women are not required to always be touching Earth during a dance because during all other aspects of life she is required to carried to carry so much.

So dance beautiful woman, and know that Mother Earth and all her spirits watch, support, and love you.

© 2014 Marion Finnerty


Author's Note

Marion Finnerty
An Elder from my community told me this story one summer while were working down at the Heritage Site. This is what I remember of it; I hope you enjoyed.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

791 Views
Added on October 31, 2012
Last Updated on March 7, 2014

Author

Marion Finnerty
Marion Finnerty

Canada



About
I dabble a bit in writing when I can. I usually do short stories and poems. more..

Writing