Religion: The Anti-Independent Ideology

Religion: The Anti-Independent Ideology

A Story by Zexter
"

An opinionated essay that stresses the context of "control" in religion.

"
     The word "control" has positive and negative connotations.  The negative connotations are prominent when e and d are added to the word, making it "controlled." For example, the poor citizens of Cuba are "controlled" by the communist government.  A man once told me that you are either on top of the rock or under the rock, and those on top of the rock are happy.  That is quite an accurate description of those narcissistic, bigoted communist government officials. 
     Let's not get off topic here.  The title has religion in it, so I imagine you didn't expect to read a political essay.  Although, what's the difference?
     When I was in middle school, I remember having a friend that was in a long term relationship.  As much as his friends and I disproved of it, he continued to let this girl run his life.  You could tell his mind was stuck in the same gear all day.  Every so often I'd catch him gazing out the window with an expressive of pure angst and confusion on his face.  I felt horrible for him, he was way too young to be exhibiting these emotions.  How does this tie into religion?  People exhibit the same behavior towards their "god," or "gods."
      Religion is not a strength, but rather a weakness, because it portrays the idea that humans can't think for themselves.  If society as a whole can't make their own decisions without a "special book" telling them what to do, then we are being deprived of our independence.  I have met devout Catholics in school who are nearly slaves to their religion, practicing the no sex until marriage ritual and all that other hoopla.  It sickens me that parents will force their children to go to private religious schools and drill the same ideologies into their heads.  If you're going to expose a child to religion, expose them to ALL of them, therefore they can decide for themselves.  That way, they will be voluntarily controlled, unlike the poor citizens of Cuba.
     I often hear people say that they have good moral values because they practice religion.  Why is that?  How is it "moral" to refrain from sex?  How is it "moral" not to drink alcohol?  True moral values, such as being honest and never stealing, I practice daily.  However, I don't practice them because religion tells me to.  I am honest and fair because of my own personal experiences.  The fact that religion controls the way people think repulses me. 
     Think Deism, an ideology that came about during the enlightenment.  This principle states that there is enough evidence to believe that a supreme being, or "God," created the universe.  However, Deist strongly believe that God has left Humans to tend to their own affairs.  History suggests that many of the founding fathers were Deists, now what does that tell you?  The FOUNDING FATHERS OF AMERICA were independent thinkers!  Once people understand that, I believe that we will become more productive. 
     The illusion of an "afterlife" also proves the weakness involved in religion.  I'll quote Stephen Hawking:
"There is no heaven or afterlife, such a notion is only a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."
This quote proves that people just want to find comfort in death, so therefore they have invented this perception of life after death.  If you think logically, how would there be some euphoric utopia that all "good" people are admitted to?  Would we live and perceive things just like we do on Earth?  Would we all be twenty something years old and attractive?  There are so many unknowns in this perception that it renders it as a folly.  In other words, it's ridiculous.
     Religion was solely created to give human beings comfort in the unknown.  That only reflects a weakness in human nature along with dependence on a higher power.  As human beings, we are the highest power on Earth, so lets live like the founding fathers and make a difference in society.
    

© 2011 Zexter


Author's Note

Zexter
Please do not be offended by this essay. I am only expressing my point of view in the most effective way possible. I would appreciate any constructive criticism.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Valid point of view. My best friend recently converted to Islam, and I support her all the way. She had the chance to explore and learn from the religions around, and she found Islam to fit her the best so it is what it is. i was raised catholic, and although I don't practice the religion, I have beliefs based off of christianity bc is the only one I was exposed to. However, I keep an open mind to all others. I love this essay. Kuddos.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Valid point of view. My best friend recently converted to Islam, and I support her all the way. She had the chance to explore and learn from the religions around, and she found Islam to fit her the best so it is what it is. i was raised catholic, and although I don't practice the religion, I have beliefs based off of christianity bc is the only one I was exposed to. However, I keep an open mind to all others. I love this essay. Kuddos.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 13, 2011
Last Updated on September 13, 2011
Tags: religion controlled society inde

Author

Zexter
Zexter

Boca Grande, FL



About
Hey guys! My name is Reed Sligar (aka Zexter) and I'm a 16 year old writer from a small island called Boca Grande on the West Coast of Florida. Here I will be posting various short stories along wit.. more..

Writing
Depression Depression

A Poem by Zexter