A priceless gift

A priceless gift

A Story by Penkins

 A PRICELESS GIFT

 

 

"It was my first year, since I had transferred into the new city of New York. My father was a Swiss embassador. He had been sent overseas for maintaning good relations with the U.S. and thus, we came to live here. This city life was much more fast and hectic than of the city I had grown up in.  There were lush green scenarios, fresh air and a very few people living in my neighbourhood. Every morning, the entire neighbourhood used to get up and there was hustle and bustle of people outside. They were energetic and used to get up every morning for an early morning walk. Since it was a small neighbourhood, we all used to get along really well. Everyone used to chat and sometimes, we even got invited for breakfasts and dinners. After morning walks and breakfasts, all used to get dressed and go to their destinations - Work and schools so it was peaceful and quiet all day, till in the evening when the streets used to light up, synchronising with stars glowing in the sky. Suddenly, the air was filled with warmth. After coming back from a day's work, people used to freshen up a bit and go out with their families to enjoy. It was my little paradise. I used to love that place, partly because it was calm and quiet and partly, because there were many memories of my mother attached to that place. Yes, my mother passed away 7 years ago and yet it seemed as if she was always there. Ever since my mother died, my father took over the household since I was very young at that time. He used to work very hard at work and also take care of the house. It was very tiring. Everyday, I used to watch him in agony. He couldn't keep up with it so he started drinking alot to ease his worries and his pain. I watched him slowly fade away in loneliness and depression. Ofcourse, there was no other way for him to escape from it, but I tried to make him open up to me more so he could share his feelings but he never said a word to me. Sometimes, I used to feel guilty as if it was all my fault that my father had to go through all that since I could be of no help even so there was nothing more I could do except wait for time to pass by.   When I grew up, I decided to take over the household and to be of some help to my father. I used to do all the cleaning, washing, cooking and pressing before he could lay his hands on them. My father was very happy with me. I thought this would strengthen up our relationship since we barely ever talked after mom died. I just wanted to make him feel better by always staying by his side and comforting him when he was under some kind of distress. My efforts were not invain and infact, we got closer than ever before.

        One day, my father came back from work and told me that he had been transferred to U.S permenantly as his work demanded so. I got angry seeing no reason for him to accept such a proposal knowing how precious this place was for the both of us. "Had he decided to forget mom?" I asked myself. Over the next few days, I was very reluctant at packing my stuff but when I gave it a thought, I understood. Maybe he wanted us to start anew. Since, we had always stayed here, we could never get out of the past and it was more painful for him than it was for me. So I decided to give in for his happiness and comfort.

           That's how I came here. Considering our villa in Switzerland, this was a very small house so it was easy to maintain. I had joined a new high school. It was kind of hard to make friends with a half-hearted attempt but later, I realised I was here to stay so there was no reason for me to hold back. So I made myself a couple of nice friends to hang out with.

            As time passed by, our wounds healed and the past was nothing more than a beautiful memory written on the pages of history. I became habitual of living this way. To me, my father was my entire world. We had never gotten this close. With my growing influence on his life, he gave up drinking and focused on a healthy well-being for my sake.

          Those energetic and lively eyes eventually turned pale and bore wrinkles underneath. This is when I realised how much time had passed. Almost 5 years had passed since my arrival here and it was time for me to take charge of things. My father was growing old which gradually marked the end of his career. He retired when I left college. He used to get his pension which he devoted solely to the completion of my studies. I was ever so grateful to him for that. Knowing I couldn't push my luck any further, I decided to take up a job to support the household and my ailing and aging father.

         My job gave us enough to sustain ourselves. Then came a day, when a very special person came into my life - my life partner. We met at the place where I worked and after having known each for 2 years, we got married.

        I have a happy family now and my father....... Well, a lot of people might have thought that the old house would be a most suited place for him but not ME! He was the one who brought me into this world and was both a father and a mother to me.  He brought me up in the most unsuitable environment when the odds were stacked against him. He was a source of comfort and constant support for me -  My shelter. And when the time comes for me to fulfill my duty towards him, I should leave him all alone in an old house?? NEVER! My father lives with me in my house. I married my husband on the condition of letting me stay with my father. I take care of all his expenses from the money I and I alone earn. And try to, if not completely, fulfill my obligation towards my priceless treasure - my father!"

     "Oh Anne, my child! Where are you? I have been waiting for you for so long", a shivering and aged voice called from a distance.

       "Coming dad!" I replied. I left my pen in between the open pages of my diary and left to respond the call, while the pages enclosing my precious memories, swayed with the breeze!

© 2010 Penkins


Author's Note

Penkins
please ignore spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. I always check my work but there are always room for mistakes as we are all humans... ^^ enjoy reading

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
Added on July 8, 2010
Last Updated on July 8, 2010

Author

Penkins
Penkins

Karachi, South Asia, Pakistan



About
I am just a simple girl who loves to write. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Penkins