Twisted

Twisted

A Stage Play by Zuleit Matthys
"

Twisted is a stage play written by Namibian playwright Donald Zuleit Matthys. The play Premiered at the National Theatre of Namibia in October 2016

"

Twisted….

A Theatre Play Written and Directed by Donald Matthys.
Mentored by Blessing Mbonambi
Produced by The National Theatre of Namibia (NTN)
Synopsis: This drama tells the story of a woman who loses her will to be a mother but will she recover it? In a twisted turn of events, Melissa, a maid who works for a family gave up a lot for her survival. After almost 18 years the lies, deception and betrayal unravel. On the other hand, the son of the family Robby, and heads of the household, Tobby and Louisa are faced with their own problems. Everything is not as it seems, but will the truth set everybody free or will it stir up more trouble?

Characters:

MAID- MELISSA
SON- ROBBY
WIFE- LOUISA
FATHER- TOBBY
DAUGHTER- LINDA
NEIGHBOUR- ROSIE

SCENE ONE (1)


[Lights on]

(Melisa holding a picture frame, expresses emotions of anger and disappointment, puts it back on the shelf and takes a seat on the chair in front of it)

MELISSA: [Speaking to herself] (Sigh) Oh my, am I tired. Scrubbing floors, dusting everything off…I’ve been working for this household for almost 18 years now. It’s exciting, well most of the times. Sometimes it’s so unbearable, driving me to the verge of wanting to quit. I would have, but I just can’t miss out all the important moments of...

(Knock on the door, Melisa sighs and stands up)

ROSIE: (ENTERS) I Have been sitting on my balcony waiting for your Missy to leave. Finally she left, the long legs were literally in the air, I like her high-heels though (moves to the couch and sits down) Sjoe, a good cup of tea will do.

MELISA: Good Day to you too Rosie… (Folding her arms on her chest and walking towards the couch)

ROSIE: Hi Melisa, how was your night, mine was great!

MELISA: Mine too. Tea?

ROSIE: Yes, you know it.

(Melissa exits)

(Door opens and Robby enters, Rosie looks at him. Robby takes the backpack off his shoulders. Robby doesn’t look up from his phone. Continuous smiling.)

ROSIE: Hey Boy. How was school?

ROBBY: Hi Auntie Rosie. School was fine.

ROSIE: (looks at her wrist watch) your classes don’t usually take this long.

ROBBY: (Still smiling, but not looking at Rosie) Yeah, I went out with a friend.

ROSIE: A date, I suppose?

(Robby looks at Rosie for a second. Slight frown. Continues texting on his phone.)

ROSIE: Thought I must tell you. I saw your girlfriend and that other boy together yesterday.

ROBBY: (Looks at Rosie. Frown.) Girlfriend, do you mean Jessica?

ROSIE: Yes. My dear boy, that girl is trouble.

ROBBY: Oh my God! Please keep your nose out of my business. I don’t care what Jessica does and with whom.

ROSIE: I thought you two are dating…

(Robby angrily looks at Rosie. Takes his backpack and exits)

(Melissa enters with two cups of tea on a tray and puts it on the table in front of the couch)

ROSIE: I love the smell of fresh made tea. (Takes up one cup and takes a sip from the tea.)

MELISSA: Thought I heard you speak to someone? (Takes a seat next to Rosie.)

ROSIE: Yes, Robby. He got upset because I told him about his girlfriend’s escapades.

MELISA: What?! No you didn’t!

ROSIE: Yes I did.

MELISSA: I told you Robby is over that girl, Rosie.

ROSIE: I only say things I know. Just a few weeks ago I saw Robby and that girl together. As I always tell you, I spend most of my time on my balcony and like God, I see almost everything.

MELISA: Well, I stay here. I know everything that happens with Robby. You have a rather big interest circle, I didn’t know teen-stuff would interest you.

ROSIE: A lady has to know stuff, honey. In fact everything. By the way I have to tell you Mary is a nosy mother and I have never seen anyone like her.

MELISA: Mary from across the street? What happened again?

ROSIE: Last night she, Mary, came over to my place and borrowed my phone, apparently her phone broke. But I am not buying that. I know her telephone line is cut off because her telephone bill is unpaid. Always looking for trouble that one. Anyway, she was talking to her daughter; you know the one from Swakopmund?

MELISA: (nods) Yes, I know her.

ROSIE: Well, It seems as if though she is against her relationship with some broke man. The way she was talking, I would be ashamed to behave so badly in someone else's house…

MELISA: Wait, were you eavesdropping?

ROSIE: No, I have dignity for crying out loud… (Touching her hair) You know Mary is a loud mouth; I couldn’t help but to hear everything. By the way I have never seen anyone so nosy to meddle in peoples affairs… She loves money, that one.

MELISA: Things happen.

ROSIE: Anyway I have to go. I’ll come over some other time.

MELISSA: Sorry, for my mood. I am not myself. I will come over to you soon.

(Rosie walks towards the door. Robby enters and goes to the couch with a bottle water and slouches on the couch with his phone in his hand. Melisa looks at Robby for a while and goes to the kitchen.)

(Tobby enters. He puts his briefcase at the door. Whistling as he loosens his tie. He looks at Robby who is lying on the couch scrolling through his phone.)

TOBBY: I know you heard me come in, son.

ROBBY: Yes, I did. Hi dad.

TOBBY: (smile) Where is your Mom?

ROBBY: Dad I don’t know. I have a headache.

(Melisa enters)

MELISA: Afternoon.

TOBBY: Yes, afternoon Melisa. I am asking Robby where Louisa is, but he is troubled again.

MELISA: She went out. She won’t be in for dinner, so if you are ready I will serve dinner.

TOBBY: My God, when will Louisa ever be home?!

(Linda enters.)

LINDA: Hi daddy. Melissa, is the food ready? I am starving.

MELISSA: Yes, pumpkin it is ready.

TOBBY: I wonder where Louisa is. This late night habit is becoming annoying.

ROBBY: Dad, Mom is at a friend’s house. You know that.

TOBBY: I don’t care what she does and with whom, all I want is for her to be home when I come from work, this house feels deserted without her as a mother and wife.

ROBBIE: Do you have problems again, hhmm dad? I see you are starting these petty issues with mom, again.

LINDA: Please, let’s just eat, I am starving. Melisa let me help you serve dinner.

MELISA: Okay, thanks.

(Melisa and Linda go to the dining table, followed by Tobby and Robbie) [Lights in the couch area dim as lights in the dining table area go on]







SCENE TWO (2)


(There is silence while dinner is being served. Robby is biting on his nails. Tobby looks at Robby for a while)

TOBBY: Son, do you have problems, things you want to tell me? I am here to listen... to anything.

ROBBY: Dad, what problems could I possibly be having?!

(Tobby looks surprised at Robby. He shakes his head in disbelief and looks in front of him. After dinner is served, Linda sits down and they start eating.)

(Melissa keeps standing. She looks the three on as they are eating.)

TOBBY: Great smell, great taste.

LINDA: Really good Melisa.

MELISA: Well, thank you.

(Robby looks at Melissa who is standing staring at them with big smile.)

ROBBY: So you are just going to stand there?

TOBBY: Yeah, since Louisa is not here, you can sit at her place.

MELISSA: Oh okay, thank you.

ROBBY: Weird.

TOBBY: What’s weird?

ROBBY: (looks up from the plate to Tobby) I am talking to myself, dad.

LINDA: Now that’s weird.

ROBBY: Are you starting with me?

LINDA: Are you depressed? Lately you have been in this negative vibe.

ROBBY: My life is perfect for me to be stressed by you people in this house.

LINDA: You are too depressed brother…I recommend you do Yoga.

ROBBY: (Look at Linda for a few seconds) I recommend the gym for you…

TOBBY: Can you two just stop?

LINDA: I am going to my room.

(Linda exits. Tobby rubs his eyes. There’s silence and then Robby drops his fork and stands up.)

TOBBY: And where are you going?

ROBBY: I lost my appetite. I am also going to talk to my sister. (Exits)

(Tobby puts his hands on his head)

TOBBY: I know somewhere along the line I did something wrong. Did I give my children too much freedom? This is payback time, isn’t it?

MELISSA: No, it is not.

TOBBY: (Drops his fork) the kids are probably affected by our marital issues.

(Melissa looks at Tobby without saying anything.)

TOBBY: (Continues talking) Yes, Louisa and I are not happy. Or at least I am not. This is having some type of effect on my children.

MELISA: I am sorry to hear about the marital problems. But concerning Linda and Robby, It’s not only your fault. They are in their adolescent stages and it’s normal for them to behave like this.

TOBBY: Are you sure? You don’t have any kids but you know all this stuff. Maybe it's because you raised them?

MELISA: Well, that also. I read a lot. (Puts her hands under the table and looks down at them) I have a child too.

TOBBY: A child? What do you mean a child? You have a child? Where?

MELISA: He is staying with his father…

TOBBY: His father? Wow, I didn’t know you are seeing someone. You never speak of family. Wait, so when you say you go visit your friend you go to your child’s father. Where do they stay, how old is your child?

MELISA: uhm… They stay here in Windhoek. We are not together, he is married.

TOBBY: Lord, Melissa. You are seeing a married man?

MELISSA: (Angry) we are not in a relationship. But, even if that was the case, I don’t think you should be judging me! You of all people.

TOBBY: Is that what you do? Spent time with married men? Melissa I thought you were decent.

MELISSA: You stay in a house of glass, Tobby! You do not have the right to judge me. You are to blame for my misfortune!

TOBBY: Me? What did I do?

(Melisa stands up angrily and stands in front of Tobby. Exits)

(Tobby looks at Melisa as she leaves and wants to protest but drops his arms with a heavy sigh.)

TOBBY: I didn’t mean to upset you. (Exits)

(After a while Robbie enters the living room with his phone in his hand, looks around, goes to lie on the couch and switches on the TV. He pulls a magazine from under the couch, pages through it. [Preferably the Gay Pages Magazine] The door opens and Louisa comes in. Shocked and fast, Robby puts the magazine under the couch. Louisa silently takes off her high-heels. She nearly trips over the couch as she creeps to it.)

LOUISA: Robby, is that you? What are you doing alone, where’s everybody?

ROBBY: Finally you are home, where have you been, mom?

LOUISA: (Takes a seat on the arm of the couch next to Robby) I had some errands to run. Is your father in?

ROBBY: Yes, he is. (Robby looks at his watch) You smell of alcohol Mom.

LOUISA: (Feels Robby on the chin.) I had some errands to run and I had a drink with my girlfriends. You seem sad, what’s the bother, or is it just that you missed me?

ROBBY: (sits up straight.) You know this place is dull without you, mom. Everybody is so boring here.

LOUISA: Owww… Mommy is here now. (Gives Robby a hug and kisses him on the forehead)

(Melisa comes out and goes straight to the dining table without looking at the two)

LOUISA: Now what’s wrong with Melisa?

ROBBY: Why? Isn’t it stress, you know low class people stress often.

(Melisa walks out the dining room with a tray)

LOUISA: Melisa! Come here.

(Melisa goes to Louisa without saying a word)

LOUISA: What’s bothering you, Problems?

MELISA: Nothing.

LOUISA: Are you saying I am blind? I can clearly see you are side-tracked.

(Melisa looks at Robby and then at Louisa)

MELISA: Can I go now?

(Louisa looks Melisa from head to toe)

LOUISA: Just get out of my sight.

(Melisa turns around and exits)

LOUISA: Sjoe, I don’t like negative energy around me, I should probably go to bed now. (Yawns) I am tired as hell. Your classmate, Anthony was also at the function I attended.

ROBBY: Why do you know Anthony?

LOUISA: (awkward silence) Uhm, he walked up to me and greeted me. Apparently he knows I am your mother. He sent his greetings.

ROBBY: Oh. Okay.

LOUISA: I am going to bed now.

ROBBY: Me too. I need it, I’ll go in a minute, go ahead mom.

LOUISA: (Stands up) yes, goodnight boy (Kisses Robby on the forehead.)

ROBBY: Night mom.

(Louisa goes to the bedroom. With a serious expression Robby looks in front of him and then stands up.)

(Robby exits)

(Lights dim for a few seconds)


SCENE THREE (3)

(Tobby enters angrily *for dramatic effect, shirtless in his shorts to show he rushed out of bed* followed by Louisa on his heels)

TOBBY: Louisa get off my case! I will not have sex with you now! You stink of alcohol!

LOUISA: You are the reason I drink. Each day you are slowly moving away from me. You must tell me if you are seeing someone else. Wait… are you cheating on me?

TOBBY: Don’t insult me. Is your conscious bothering you?

LOUISA: My friend, I am not a nun. I married you because I want to be having sex with you forever but if you behave like someone with erectile problems… (Stops)

TOBBY: Wait, what are you saying, are you cheating on me?

LOUISA: (Shocked expression) you insult me! (Exits)

TOBBY: (Talking to himself- sigh) the sex also becomes boring. Louisa is a good woman but we lost the spark we had when we got married. I suppose these things happen. (Exits)

SCENE FOUR (4)

(Lights on at Kitchen table area) Tobby enters in his sleeping robe yawning, while Melisa is serving breakfast for Robbie, Linda and Louisa.)

TOBBY: Morning. So it seems I am the only one who slept late. (Sits down)

LOUISA: It’s Saturday, you need to let your body rest.

TOBBY: I Know honey, but today I have some things to finalize so I’ll be going to the office later.

MELISA: I am done here, I’ll go change and get going and I will be back around eleven.

(Tobby looks at Melisa)

TOBBY: Where are you going?

LOUISA: Melisa is going to see a friend who is in an emergency.

TOBBY: A friend, hmm?

MELISA: Yes, that’s right sir. If you’ll excuse me.

(Melisa walks away with Tobby looking at her from behind)

ROBBY: Dad. Dad, dad?!

TOBBY: Yes, son?

ROBBY: I need money, today I am going somewhere with friends.

(Tobby doesn’t answer and is sitting with his hand on his forehead looking down in his plate)

LOUISA: Tobby, your son is talking to you!

TOBBY: (Looks at Robby.) What did you say?

ROBBY: Geez, dad. I said I need money because I am…

TOBBY: Did Melisa say where this friend of hers is residing?

LOUISA: What?! Your son is talking to you and all you care of is where the maid went, you’re unbelievable!

TOBBY: (Looks at Louisa with a frown) we were not done talking. Mind explaining to your family what you do around so late. You don’t even work.

(Louisa glazes at Tobby. She pushes her chair out and walks out angrily. Louisa exits)

(Tobby moves his fingers through his hair and gives a sigh)

TOBBY: Louisa…

LINDA: Geez, why is this house full of drama every day. What is this house, a theatre?

ROBBY: (Looks at Linda and then to Tobby) Dad, why do you care where Melissa went, all I ask for is a few dollars and you ignore me as if I am a joke or something.

TOBBY: You’ll get it. Just remind me before I go to the office.

ROBBY: I’ll go with you, I will need the ride.

TOBBY: Okay, I’ll be leaving in (looks at his wristwatch) two hours. So where are you going again? Are you on a date with your girlfriend?

ROBBY: (Gets nervous and takes off his glasses, wipes his eyes with a handkerchief and puts the glasses back on. Linda looks at him with a frown.) Yeah, something like that, we are actually a group.

TOBBY: Sounds like trouble. Just remember to be back before dinner, and tell your girlfriend to come visit, it’s been a while since I’ve last seen her.(Robby nods and nervously looks down in his plate.) and you Linda, what are you going to do for the day?

LINDA: Nothing much, just going to hang here at home.

TOBBY: Okay, just behave well, seems like you both have the day planned out. (Stands up) I am going to check on your mother. Excuse me. (Walks out)

(Robby scrabbles in his food with the fork, looking down in his plate. Linda looks at him without saying a word)

ROBBY: (Looks up and looks in Linda’s face) what?!

LINDA: It’s irritating.

ROBBY: What’s irritating?

LINDA: That fork and plate stuff you are doing, stop it.

(Robby puts the fork down and scratches his head.)

LINDA: Why do you always act nervous or was it because Dad asked where you are going? Where are you really going? Are you doing drugs?

ROBBY: (looks at Linda in silence for a while) Linda, like, what do you care what I do and with whom? It’s my life, I can’t help that you don’t have any cool friends. All you have is a stupid friend, I myself don’t understand why you have her as a friend. If I do drugs, it's my worry. (Stands up and goes to the couch and takes out his phone)

LINDA: Shame (goes to the couch just as Melisa leaves) bye Melissa, I miss you already.

LINDA: I am your only sister you know.

ROBBY: (frowns with sarcasm) what do you want?

LINDA: I know something is bothering you.

ROBBY: (Smirk. Looks Linda straight in the eyes.) Okay Dr. Psychologist, who happens to be younger than me, please do tell me what is wrong with me?

LINDA: I know that move. That’s the ‘I have issues but I wanna suffer alone’ move.

ROBBY: I don’t know what it is that you think you know, little sister. But girl bye!

(Linda frowns)

(Tobby enters)

TOBBY: Robby, I am going in 5 minutes, go get ready.

ROBBY: Didn’t you say two hours, Dad?

TOBBY: I have to go urgently. Quick meeting. Are you coming?

ROBBY: You can go ahead, just send the money to my phone. I have something to complete here.

TOBBY: Okay. Bye Linda. Robby. (Exits)

(Robby opens laptop moves away from Linda)

LINDA: So, what are you doing? (Tries to peep into the screen)

ROBBY: Are you for serious right now?

LINDA: (giggles) I am kidding.

(Robby’s phone rings, he looks at the screen then at Linda. Closes the laptop and goes outside)

(Linda looks at the door. Carefully opens the laptop)

LINDA: (Eyes widens) Grindr…? Is that not the… hmmm, wait (scrolls) VersatileHunk? What kinda name is that? Heeee… this graphic images are too strong! (Gasps and closes the laptop and shifts away from it) so my brother is… I should have known! ‘Girl bye’, who says that! Should I ask him? No, no. Let him tell me. It must be hard keeping it all inside. S**t. All this thinking has gotten me hungry.

(Door opens Robby comes in)

LINDA: You look happy. Who was that? Jessica?

ROBBY: Linda, I am in a good mood. Please just let me be. Grant me this one wish and just disappear into thin air.

LINDA: (Gets up) Disappearing. But remember if you need something…

ROBBY: Linda, please!

LINDA: Okay! Boy bye! (Exists)

SCENE FOUR (5)

(Robby opens the laptop and looks out in front of him, and then puts both his feet on the couch.)

ROBBY: [To himself-Audience] (smiles and starts typing) Nice I like. But I don’t want to share nudes on the internet… (Stops typing and looks up) sounds a bit selfish (bites lip and continues typing) because I am new at this…

(Melissa enters)

MELISSA: Hi Robby. I am back?

ROBBY: Okay.

MELISSA: Where is everybody? (Puts her bag on the stand.)

ROBBY: Dad went out. Mom and Linda are somewhere in the house.

MELISSA: (Sits next to Robby and he closes the laptop) And you are here enjoying some alone time.

ROBBY: I was. Until you showed up. Can I not have peace in this house?

MELISSA: This by far the only time I get to see you alone. You have been in a bad mood lately, puberty issues kicking in?

ROBBY: (grins) even if that was the case why would I tell you my puberty issues?

MELISSA: Because I raised you. I know much more about you than both your parents combined.

ROBBY: Seriously, can I breathe?!

(Silence)

(Robby face falls, looks Melissa on silently)

MELISSA: You can talk to me.

ROBBY: Nothing is wrong, Melissa. Please get away from me.

MELISSA: I raised you, Robby. I can see something is bothering you. You can talk to me.

ROBBY: Stop it. Leave me alone!

MELISSA: You know, to this day I cannot clearly say if it is pride or arrogance that you have in you. (Silence) we used to be pals. Best buddies. You and Linda used to argue a lot about her shoes and clothes. I would then try and tell her about how sharing a good thing is. Your happiest moments will be when you are wearing her shoes. There were this little one, they were beige or yellow, I can’t quite remember…they were your favourites.

ROBBY: (With a little sarcasm) Okay, why are you telling me this information?

MELISSA: Because I want you to open up to me.

ROBBY: Open up to you? Melissa, do you not have work to do? Seriously, my issues are too personal for your meddling.

MELISSA: Is it your sexuality?

Robby: (Shocked expression) Sexuality?! I am not gay.

MELISSA: I never said you are. You said it yourself. Robby I raised you. I saw you grow up. I knew you were a little different from all the other boys. I understand and do not judge you. Sooner or later you will have to confront it.

(Silence)

ROBBY: (looks down to his hands on his lap) It was in primary school that I realized something was different about me. I ignored it. Until last year. I developed feelings for a boy in my class. It became stronger by the day. I started dating Jessica. We kissed, but never went further than a kiss. I couldn’t do it. I told Jessica. She understood. Aunt Rosie was right, she is dating Klaus now. I kissed the boy in my class. We have something going on but I am scared. My mom and dad will never accept me. What will their friends say, this might ruin dad’s friendships and partnerships. My sister will be so ashamed of me… Society will break me into pieces.

(Melissa Takes Robby's hand in hers. Robby looks at her hand and puts his other hand on hers. Melissa inhales deeply)

MELISSA: It is who you are. You cannot fight this. People who love you will understand. Come out to everyone. True love doesn’t judge. Don’t be hard on yourself. Love wins.

ROBBY: I hope you are right, Melissa.

MELISSA: (Nods) Trust me.

(Silence)

ROBBY: Okay so now that you know that detail. I have been going on this dates with some people I meet through a dating app. Different and weird people.

MELISSA: You found someone?

ROBBY: Not yet. You know, I have realised that dating in the gay world is like finding a job. You know, like you either do it online or you get referred.

MELISSA: (laugh) is it?

ROBBY: Yes. Different people.

MELISSA: Well, it will be easier once you are out and proud. Just be careful of who and where you meet this people.

ROBBY: (Gives a sigh of relief and stands up and lifts his hands in the air and sniffs, turning around in a circle) It really feels good to talk about stuff.

(Louisa enters)

LOUISA: What stuff? (Walks towards Robby. Looks at Melissa) and you, what are you doing sitting with my son?

ROBBY: Melissa and I were just talking about basic things mom, nothing to worry about, right Melissa? (Looks at Melissa)

MELISSA: (Stands up) Yes, basic stuff indeed. Excuse me. (Exits)

LOUISA: What's going on here?

ROBBY: Nothing to worry yourself about. (Sits down on the couch) Melissa is great to talk to, why was I so blind to see her kind heart.

LOUISA: (Widens her eyes and sits down, one leg on the couch. She grabs Robby's hand in hers, looking him straight in the eyes) what did that snake tell you? Whatever she said is a total lie, do you get me?

ROBBY: (looks at Louisa with a frown and then smiles) I said it's nothing to worry about... We talked about problems I have at the university.

LOUISA: What problems are you having there? (Drops Robby's hands and sits straight. Uninterestingly strokes her hair.)

ROBBY: Things you won't care about.

LOUISA: Oh, but still I don't want you to be so close to Melissa.

ROBBY: Why? I was close to her from the day I was born. She raised me, remember?

LOUISA: But still, you're growing up.

ROBBY: Yes, I am growing up. I don't get why you are so paranoid. (Picks up his phone and presses in it.)

(There is silence for a while)

LOUISA: I want her out of this house. (Looks at Robby who is not answering) Robby?

ROBBY: Mom! What do you mean you want her out, what's your problem with her anyway?

LOUISA: That woman is a threat to my life!

ROBBY: What is she, a killer? In what way is she, a threat to the life of a perfect woman like you?

LOUISA: She has an evil agenda to destroy our family. I don't want my family to be torn apart! (Faces to other side, resting her head on her arm)

ROBBY: Mom, what are you talking about?

MELISSA: (looks up in the face Robby) Promise that you won't tell anyone what I am about to tell you...

ROBBY: (Jokingly Shifts closer to Louisa with a frown) I won't tell, what is it Mom?

(Louisa has serious facial expression)

ROBBY: Oh it is serous?

LOUISA: That woman was your father's mistress few years and I think they are doing it again...

ROBBY: What?! My goodness, please tell me you are joking, mom please...

LOUISA: No, baby. This is serious, I don't want my marriage to your father to end...! I love your father! I love this family.

ROBBY: Have you confronted them about it? Do they know that you know?

LOUISA: Yeah, they do...I fired Melissa back then when I found out, but your father insisted she comes back. I didn't have a say, and now she is here for almost eighteen years now. There was no problem until a few weeks ago I saw them together in the living room. Alone.

ROBBY: I don't believe my father! (Hugs Louisa.) I know how you feel and we will solve this together. She won’t get what she is looking for. We are a family and no one will tear us apart...

(Louisa smiles behind Robby's shoulder.)

ROBBY: I'll make sure Melissa leaves our house...

LOUISA: What does Melissa have that I don't have? I am the woman who gave him children; my social status is higher than that of that dammed maid's. (Louisa stands up angrily) Just make your father get that witch out of here! (Exists)

ROBBY: (turns around and watches Louisa leave. Stands up) and here I thought Melissa is a true friend... (Walks to his room) I don't believe my dad...

(Lights dim for a few seconds)


Scene Six (6)


(TOBBY enters the living room and searches for something in the cabinet)

TOBBY: Have you seen that file, the one with the government emblem on, I remember putting it here?

Robby: No, Dad.

(Melisa enters.)

Tobby: Melissa, did you see the tender proposal file I had yesterday?

MELISSA: It’s in your office, on the bookshelf. I placed it there.

TOBBY: Oh thank you. Tomorrow I have to attend a meeting so I must study it thoroughly.

ROBBY: (Stands up) another government tender you are chasing after?

TOBBY: It is another opportunity. I am an opportunist.

ROBBY: Oh my god, (Exists)

(After Robby left, Tobby walks a few steps towards the door and turns around looking if there are no other people in sight and walks to Melissa who is standing with her back facing him)

TOBBY: Tell me...

MELISSA: (turns around fast, showing signs of shock/fear) you gave me a scare!

TOBBY: I am sorry. I was saying, did you go see you child’s father?

MELISSA: Sir, where does what I do in my free time fit with my job description?

TOBBY: Ag, Melissa. Drop the formalities. The fact that there is another man in your life made me realize how much I still like you. I am jealous.

MELISSA: You want me in your life? By the way, what we had back then was a mistake and you know that, I am never going to let myself go through that abomination. Never again.

TOBBY: Abomination? Is that what you call it? Melissa, you still feel something for me, I know you do!

MELISSA: It was not right, in fact it should never have happened...

TOBBY: But you let it happen, because you felt what I felt for you! I am sure you still feel the same way...

MELISSA: No, I don't… I…

TOBBY: (Feels Melissa's chin.) But why are you stuttering? Huh Melissa?

(Melissa puts her hand on Tobby's arm and closes her eyes. Tobby slowly moves his face towards Melissa's. As they are about to kiss, Robby enters with a backpack in his hand)

ROBBY: Dad?!

(Tobby and Melissa both look at Robby with a great deal of shock)

TOBBY: Son, it’s not what you think...

ROBBY: What do you mean? I saw you kissing Melissa! It’s true what my mother told me...Melissa is a cunning she-wolf in sheep clothing. Melissa how could you? To think I started trusting you...

MELISSA: You trusted me? I don't know what went through...

TOBBY: What did your mother tell you? What did Louisa say?

ROBBY: My dear mother told me everything about your affair... From the beginning to the end...

MELISSA: Everything? So you know that you are...

ROBBY: Shut up, Melissa. You will be the reason to blame if my family breaks up. I'll blame you! And you dad, make this woman leave or else I will leave this house for good! (Turns around and walks towards the door) I don't believe them, kissing in our house??(Exits)

TOBBY: (Looks at Melissa) He'll be fine.

MELISSA: Argh! (Exits)

(Tobby sits on the couch. He puts his hands on his head with a sigh. Louisa comes in excited.)

LOUISA: Hun... I am super excited (sits on the couch and kisses Tobby's hand. Tobby looks at her with a bored expression.) I just received a call from the Miss Namibia organizer herself and they need me to do a special speech. According to her I’ll get recognition as a former model... (Pause) what's wrong? Why do you seem so down? Am I boring you?

TOBBY: How could you?!(Stands up angrily)

LOUISA: (smiles and stands up) I assure you, I won't show too much of my elegant body. Nothing to be jealous about…

TOBBY: How could you tell Robby about my affair with Melissa? I told you I will tell the kids myself!

LOUISA: Oh. So he confronted you...when were you going to tell him, Robby is grown up...? (Sits on the chair arm.)

TOBBY: I was waiting for the right moment. Louisa, Why are you so insensitive?

LOUISA: Insensitivity is something you possess. What kind of a man sleeps with his maid in the house his wife and kids stay in?

TOBBY: Don't bring that up my face...! You know what we felt for each other died years ago, you are not the Louisa I used to know and fell in love with... You have turned into some kind of monster...!

Louisa: You are not the same man I fell in love with either. You are a cheating, lying and disgraceful b*****d! Shame on you!

TOBBY: Lord. (Grinds his teeth) You know every day you make me regret marrying you! (Takes a few steps towards the door and turns around to Louisa with a frown) by the way tell me what you did with the money you took from the bank today, it was huge?

LOUISA: What's your deal? I mean, did you see me leaving this house today? The only person who wanted money was our son...

TOBBY: Well, the only person who has access to the bank is you and me. You have the card, don't you?

LOUISA: Of course I have it, but I didn't leave the house today so I am not responsible... (Hits her head with her hand) Flip!

TOBBY: (frowns) what?

LOUISA: (Looks at Tobby for a while and stands up) Nothing, I remember sending money to my designer to make me a dress, you know a dress for the event where I'll be glowing like in the old days. (Smiles)

TOBBY: Twenty thousand Namibian dollars?!

LOUISA: Twenty...? Oh, god. (Pause) The shoes and accessories are included, do you want me to go look cheap? That'll be humiliating!

TOBBY: I'll tell you what's humiliating, we pronounced broke. Your social life will crumble, you will no longer be able to attend those snobbish diners you attend with those elite women. If you want all that to happen, go ahead and spend money like its growing on trees. (Walks out)

LOUISA: (Looks shocked) I will never be low-class...Anthony! (Sits on the couch and takes the telephone to call...) Hi, how are you, (Pause) it’s me Louisa. I am angry with you.

(Robby enters)

LOUISA: Anthony! Why did you take fifty thousand from the bank? (Pause) What, your friends? (Pause) A party? Are you for real, last time you said you needed it to buy books, now you want to entertain your friends? (Pause) No, you are putting me in big trouble with my husband. (Pause) I am a little bit, (smiles) Anthony you know I can't stay angry at you for 5 minutes. (Pause) Hhhm...Well I adore you... (Pause) Well see you later tonight... I have great news for you, guess who is going to give the key-note speech at the Miss Namibia beauty pageant? (Pause) Yes, of course! (Turns around and looks straight into Robby's face) Robby? Uhm, talk to you later girlfriend. (Drops the phone)

(Robby stops pressing on his phone and walks towards Louisa)

ROBBY: Yes, mom? (Touches Louisa by her shoulder and sits down, with both his feet folded on the couch)

LOUISA: (Sits down) How long have you been standing there? What did you hear?

ROBBY: Nothing much, something I should've heard?

LOUISA: No, lady stuff...private things you know...

ROBBY: (puts his phone on the desk in front of them.) But... I heard you are going to do something at the Miss Namibia beauty pageant..?

LOUISA: Yes! In fact, I am going to be honoured for a history of perfect modelling and still styling it up. More like the legend of Namibian modelling... (Moves her hand over her hair)

ROBBY: Well, congratulations mother...

LOUISA: Well, thank you Son... So tell me, how are your relationship things going...are you still with that girl...uhm what's her name again?

ROBBY: (Picks up his phone nervously) Do you mean Jessica...yeah we are still together...

LOUISA: Let me go check up on your dad. Where is he?

ROBBY: Don’t know. Don’t care.

(Louisa leaves her phone on the couch and exists. Robby picks it up, and searches through the phone. He stops and frowns at some point. Picks up his phone and compare something on the phone. Both phones fall out of his hands with shock. Anger/Nervous/Scared/ emotions expressed.)

LOUISA: Anthony and my Mom?

(Tobby, Louisa and Linda enter almost at the same time. Tobby stands while Louisa takes sit next to Robby who quickly picks up their phones and forces a smile. Louisa slightly frowns.)

TOBBY: Good to see all of you here. I need to seriously talk about things that are going on here. (Looks at Melissa and then back at the kids)

LOUISA: What is going on? Yes, what is it, we are listening...? Your family is listening. Your lovely family no one wants to tear apart, is listening.

TOBBY: Okay. There are things happening and Robby knows half of it. Louisa and I are having problems. I don't think what we have still exists and you kids are matured enough to understand what I mean...

LINDA: Do you mean you want to divorce mom?

LOUISA: (Stands up and hugs Tobby) Honey, what are you talking about?

TOBBY: (Pushes Louisa gently away from him) you know exactly what I am talking about. We are not happy!

LOUISA: (Gasps) What? Is it because you are really still in love with that tramp?

ROBBY: (stands up angrily) Dad, if you want to be with Melissa, you'll be alone I promise you that, I am not going to be living my life having a nanny as my stepmother!

LINDA: What are you saying? Dad and Melissa? Our Melissa?

TOBBY: Listen to me! I had an affair with Melissa years ago and I have to admit I can't fight the feelings I still have for her. But she is not the reason I am leaving your mother for...

LOUISA: You are leaving me? Are you serious?

LINDA: Dad?!

ROBBY: Are you trying to break up our perfect family? I know every family has their problems, ours is not the worst. You can work things out dad! No… I will not accept. I refuse!

LOUISA: Robby is right, every family has their twists and turns. I don't want our marriage to end. I want to save it on behalf of our children, you too want to right kids?

TOBBY: There is nothing to hold on to Louisa. All this years I have kept up with your nonsense, I am not changing my mind. We have to get a divorce as soon as possible.

LINDA: Why, daddy. What will happen to us?

ROBBY: I am leaving with my mother. I am not staying with dad if he leaves my mother.

LOUISA: Think of your children. You can’t just divorce a household.

TOBBY: The kids are staying with me. You don't have a stable lifestyle.

LOUISA: Tobby you are too emotional, you need to rest.

(Louisa tries to pamper Tobby by tapping on his shoulder. Tobby shakes off her hand)

TOBBY: No Louisa… there is nothing left to save. I am not doing this.

ROBBY: I said, if you are planning on staying with Melissa, I am going with my mother.

LINDA: Melissa? What does she have to do with this?

ROBBY: She is dad’s mistress.

(Melissa enters)

LOUISA: Melissa, are you happy now huh? Are you happy that you goal is accomplished?

MELISSA: What are talking about, ma'am (sarcasm)?

LINDA: I trusted you very much Melissa. You are like a mother to me... I don't believe you were my father's mistress...

TOBBY: Leave Melissa out of this...

LOUISA: Are you crazy? She is responsible for the trouble in our family. You see she isn't even wearing her uniform. Looking all…all disgusting and stuff.

MELISSA: I came out here to give you my resignation letter, I am resigning. (Drops the paper on the table.) I am sorry for any problem I might have caused. Linda and Robby, I regret my past mistake I had with your father. (Looks at Tobby) It was a mistake I committed against this household.

(As she starts taking a few steps, the door opens and Rosie enters.)

ROSIE: I am sorry, the door was half open and I just came in... Where are you going if you look so stunning? (Looks at Melissa from head to toes with a smile)

LOUISA: Wait, what are you doing here? Take your friend and leave this house with her. We can't take all the negativity anymore.

TOBBY: Melissa, you don't have to leave, let's talk things through...

ROSIE: Leave? Are you leaving? For vacation or what?

LOUISA: She is leaving for good. Our family was nearly torn to pieces, but the Lord is so great and now she is leaving. Amen, Hallelujah...her conscious is bothering her. Good heart right there. (Tabs Melissa on the shoulder) The Lord will bless you. (Pushing her to the door) Go, go, go.

MELISSA: Let me go get my suitcase. (Melissa goes into a door)

LOUISA: (wipes her forehead) is it hot in here or is it just me? It feels like demons are everywhere.

LINDA: Mom, you are acting nervous…

ROBBY: Well, how would you feel if someone threatens to destroy all the brownies you love so much?

TOBBY: Louisa is just being unnecessarily dramatic.

(Melissa enters with a suitcase which she is dragging up to Rosie.)

MELISSA: Can you give me a hand?

ROSIE: Where are you going? You don't even have any family... Okay, obviously you can sleep at my place but what happens after that…?

LOUISA: What? She's homeless? Just be quick and get out of my house!

TOBBY: What? You don't have family? What about your son? Do you really have a son Melissa?

ROSIE: Of course she has, Robby is her son!

TOBBY: What?

ROBBY: Which Robby, me?!

LINDA: What?

(Louisa grabs the couch and sits down with her hand on her head.)

*****lights out*****

SCENE SIX (7) FINALE...



(*resume* Lights on. Tobby walks up to Rosie and puts his hands on her shoulders)

TOBBY: Repeat what you said, are you serious?

ROSIE: (Puts both her hands on her mouth) I am sorry my friend. It's this big mouth of mine...

TOBBY: (Turns around and faces Melissa) so, it's true? How is this possible? (Looks at Louisa) Say something Louisa...!

ROBBY: Of course I am not her son, dad. That'll be sick!

MELISSA: (Looks at Robby for a while and then at Tobby.) Yes, Robby is my son. Our son.

LOUISA: (Chokes)

ROBBY: No, I am not, how is that possible? Mom say something... (Sits next to Louisa, who is just staring at him, speechless)

TOBBY: I am confused. Can you tell me how Robby is...our son, while Louisa was the one pregnant with Robby and gave birth to him?

LOUISA: Robby, You are my son and no one is going to change that. More less someone like this witch. (Stands up and points to Melissa.) Of course this evil woman is lying. And we all know Rosie is an old gossip and that's what people like her do- destroying lives of happy people.(goes to Tobby) Honey, you can't take them seriously. Let them leave this house already. (Turns to Melissa and Rosie) get out of my house and so out of the lives of my family.

Rosie: (looks at Melissa) I am sorry my friend, but I can't be humiliated like this by some cheap liar! (Faces Louisa) Tell the truth you bony traitor! Everybody has to know you took away Melissa's right to be a mother.

TOBBY: Can somebody explain everything to me...

LOUISA: I am your wife. I am telling you the truth, Robby is our son, he can't be a child of this woman, and it’s ridiculous! How can you even get that thought through your mind?

MELISSA: Stop the lies, Louisa. Robby is my son and you know it. (Turns to everybody) Almost 18 years ago, I started working here. I had an affair with Tobby for a week, and Louisa found out about it and I was fired from my job. I left and almost a month later I found out I am pregnant with Tobby's child. At first I didn't want to bother anyone by revealing my pregnancy, but my mother died and our house was sold off because we were indebted to the bank. Since my mother was the only family I had, I didn't have a choice but to tell Tobby about his child. I didn't want to raise my first born in the streets...

TOBBY: I can’t believe this…

ROSA: Louisa gave Melissa the job under the terms that she doesn’t share their relationship. Louisa is evil.

ROBBY: God, wait. So from there I just jumped into my mother’s belly? (Points at Louisa)

TOBBY: Just get to the point Melissa, please.

MELISSA: I came to your house but I only found Louisa at home. Tobby was out of town for business or something like that. I told Louisa about the baby. She didn't believe me and we did three home pregnancy tests. After arguing, she gave me an ultimatum: I must remain silent about my child and I will get my job back, a place to stay, I would even raise my child in this house. At first I didn't agree, but she would blame me for the break-up of her marriage and accused me of adultery and a lot of other stuff that were true. I felt guilty. I agreed because I would see my son grow up and I had a place to stay. I had family. It felt like family.

TOBBY: I don't get it?! Louisa was pregnant with Robby. Melissa you were never pregnant. What are you trying to do Melissa?

LOUISA: Good question. Just let the woman out of here! Don't you see she is trying to fool us? Melissa, get out of here. We are not dumb!

ROBBY: Melissa get out of here...!

LINDA: Geez... (Places both her hands on her hips)

MELISSA: Louisa told you she was pregnant, she bribed a doctor and showed you results of a pregnancy test that was initially done on me. She started to use a fake belly after two months. When my belly started to show, Louisa suggested for us to go to the farm where her mother is. Because her late mother was mute she told you she has cancer and if you can remember, you agreed for me to go with her. Approximately seven months later we came back...

ROSIE: And boom! There was your wife with her (makes inverted commas in the air) son. Do you get it, now?

TOBBY: (looks Louisa in the eyes) Is this true, Louisa?

ROBBY: Please mom. Say it’s not true.

LOUISA: I did what is best... This family belongs to me, not you. I have more class.

TOBBY: So it's true? (Looks at Melissa) We have a son? Robby is our son, Melissa? Am I the married man you were talking about? Who did you go visit then?

MELISSA: Yes, Rosie is the only friend I have. I was just next door. I always go next door.

ROBBY: Mother, please it can't be! Tell me, is it true? Am I not your son?

LOUISA: (takes Robby's hand in hers) I love you. By blood we are not related, but we are bonded by a strong bond...

ROBBY: Just shut up!

LOUISA: Forgive me!

TOBBY: Forgive? You deceived us all.

ROBBY: (Angry) Mom… Louisa is having an affair with a student in my class.

TOBBY: What?!

LOUISA: What are you talking about?

ROBBY: Anthony. The boy who took twenty thousand Namibian dollars from dad’s account?

LOUISA: How did you… What?!

TOBBY: I knew it. Louisa I want you out of my life. You cheated on me with a student.

LOUISA: Yeah. It is always my fault. You are the guilty party here. I didn’t start this s**t. I was not the one with problems in bed!

LINDA: I don't believe the things that were happening here.

TOBBY: Melissa you kept quiet about everything. Robby is 18 years old now. If it wasn't for Rosie, things would have remained unknown. How could you?

MELISSA: I didn't have the heart to say anything, especially to Robby. To him I was only a maid.

LOUISA: Well, no kidding, you are a maid!

TOBBY: Keep quiet, Louisa.

LOUISA: You started everything when you cheated on me with Melissa. How was I supposed to feel when I saw the result of your affair is a child? I would have never cheated on you, never!

TOBBY: Blaming me for this is not helping. We are no longer able to love each other. Carrying on like this is just going to ruin the lives of our children. We have reached a point where trying would be suicidal.

(Silence)

LOUISA: I am leaving this cursed house. I will send people to come collect my things. By the way, that boy is better than you in bed! (Grabs her handbag)

LINDA: Wait, who is my mother?

LOUISA: You are my daughter, and where I go, you go.

TOBBY: You are mistaken. You are careless. The law will be in my favour.

LOUISA: Just leave me alone with your stupid law stuff, I hate you. (Exits)

(Silence)

MELISSA: So, (picks up her suitcase) I am sorry that I caused you so much trouble, it was never my intention. Robby, I have loved you from the day you were born and will always love you, regardless of what you think of me. Linda. (Looks at Rosie) Can you help me?

(Rosie nods silently and they walk up to the door)

TOBBY: Melissa, you don't have to go. Let’s talk things through.

(Melissa stops without looking behind her. Rosie looks at Tobby.)

ROBBY: You don't have to go Melissa... Mother...

MELISSA: (Drops her suitcase and rushes to Robby, takes his hands)

MELISSA: You called me mother...

ROBBY: I am your son. Even though it sounds funny to me right now, I will adapt. You have been like a mother to me, I will try and be like a son to you. Everything else is not important now... I hope you will learn to forgive me for being so bad to you, for not appreciating you.

MELISSA: That was nothing...son.

(Melissa and Robby hug each other.)

MELISSA: Now I think it is time for you to tell everybody about the other thing.

ROBBY: What thing… oh no no no, , not now…

TOBBY: What is happening?

ROBBY: I also have to tell you something dad and everybody.

TOBBY: There are more stuff?

LINDA: What is that something?

ROBBY: I am gay.

TOBBY: What?! Gay?! (Turns around with a painful expression.)

MELISSA: (Walks to Tobby and touches his shoulder) Robby struggled to accept himself. I accepted our son, you should do the same?

TOBBY: (Turns around and walks to the couch and pulls the magazine from under the couch) I knew it. I even told Louisa about my suspicion. She didn't want to admit to the facts. Well Robby (walks to Robby) I have known you are gay for a few months now. One day I saw you hiding something under that couch and I went to check it out, then I found this Magazine. It became clearer when you acted nervous when your girlfriend was around. (Hugs Robby) I don't have a problem with your sexuality. You're my son and I love you. (Gives Robby a tap on the back and turns to around.)

LINDA: (Walks to Robby and hugs him, then takes his hands) So, what are you. Top or bottom?

ROBBY: Linda… slowly. I will tell you everything when we are alone.

LINDA: Okay… but tell me you are a power bottom. That’ll be nice!

TOBBY: What is a power bottom? Bottom of what?

ROBBY: You don’t want to know dad. I promise you. Linda, how do you know this things?

LINDA: Google, my friend.

MELISSA: Why were you researching on that topic?

LINDA: Well… I suspected something was up with my brother…

ROBBY: By the way. I am glad you don’t have problems with who I am. Thank you for loving me unconditionally.

TOBBY: We love you son. You don’t have a disease.

LINDA: So, if he had a disease, you would’ve hated him?

TOBBY: No… you know what I mean…

MELISSA: Don’t put your father in a box Linda.

(Everybody laughs)

TOBBY: Okay now. Most things are cleared out now. (Looks in Melissa's eyes.) If Melissa accepts me in her life I will be happy...

(Melisa moves away from Tobby. Tobby moves closer to her. Caressing expressions. Everybody joins for a hug)

LOUISA: ...and about the...wow (Gives round of applause.) What a perfect picture. You are hugging, just as I left... Wow, thank you Robby and Linda, thank you.

(Everyone looks at Louisa)

TOBBY: What do you want, Louisa?

LOUISA: (Rolls her eyes) I don't believe you. But not to worry, I came here to tell you to send the divorce documents to me as soon as possible. I am leaving the country in two weeks...

LINDA: Why so soon mom?

LOUISA: As soon as Miss Namibia is done, I am going to Mauritius, I'll be back after I am done with some important deals. Tobby, you better take good care of my daughter.

TOBBY: (Puts his arm around Melissa's shoulder.) Like you've always wanted. I think you have to know this, at least you where his mother for some years- Robby is gay.

LOUISA: Robby is gay? What? I told you time and over, Robby is not gay...

ROBBY: Yes, I am gay.

LOUISA: No. You can't be...Ah hell. I am not biologically involved anyway.

(Louisa moves to the front, followed by Melissa)

LOUISA: You got what you wanted. But enjoy it because this is not the end of it. You think you have won. This is only the beginning.

MELISSA: 18 years b***h, I have waited 18 years to get my son back. You are right, I got my family back. (Pause) This is my family! And yes, this is only the beginning!

(Tobby hugs Melisa from behind. Linda hugs Louisa. Robby tabs his father’s shoulder while Rosa tabs him on the shoulder)

(Lights dim)
(Acts hold hands and bow.THE END.

© 2017 Zuleit Matthys


Author's Note

Zuleit Matthys
This is my first play. Written at the age of 18. Please ignore grammar. Check plot and format, ect.

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
Added on January 22, 2017
Last Updated on January 22, 2017
Tags: Twisted, family, drama, comedy, prose, play

Author

Zuleit Matthys
Zuleit Matthys

Windhoek, Khomas Region, Namibia



About
Namibian Playwright, Writer, Novelist and Lyricist more..