Accept The Differences In Everybody

Accept The Differences In Everybody

A Story by Macy Brown
"

Kind of a motivational speech. (It was written to be a speech)

"

We have all heard the saying, “Nobody is the same, if we all were, life would be boring!” In fact, lots of us have heard that since we were in 2nd grade.  We have been taught by our parents and teachers that it is okay to be ourselves and let our differences be seen.  To not care what other people think of us or that there is nothing wrong with not being “the popular kid at school.”

As hard as some of us try to believe that we are perfect just the way we are, those cruel thoughts just sit in the back of our mind day in and day out, eating away at our self-confidence, and making us feel like we need to change who we are to truly be accepted.  

Those thoughts that tell you, “You aren't pretty, why do you even try,” or “They don’t care about what you say or how you feel, why are you even bothering to try to be friends with them.”  Those thoughts hurt.  People aren't even the ones who said them to you, you tell yourself it because that is exactly what you believe.  You may have all those amazing friends who say, “You’re so pretty! I wish I had your face!” and “I wish I could be more like you.  You are just so confident and happy about who you are!” and after they say it you take one step up that ladder that you spent days building to drag yourself out of that dark hole that you have been in.  

Then that person walks along and decides it would be fun to build up a wall around that hole so the ladder doesn’t reach quite the top. That step you took, the one that just felt giant, feels so small and pointless, and you give up because of course they are right, you’re so stupid for believing what your friends told you.  You start to think I’m not pretty or handsome, I’m not good at sports or fun to be around, I already knew that.

What is wrong with that wall builder? Is their life so bad that they feel like maybe it might just get better if everybody else around them feels low about themselves?  Yeah, that person might be loud and obnoxious in class or constantly talk.  That person might have a bigger nose than most or short hair unlike all the other girls.  Do you think that person doesn’t notice that?  Chances are, that is something that never leaves the back of their mind, and they hate it about themselves.  But that wall builder feels the need to be that person to walk by and build that wall a little higher because it just helps them climb up their own ladder.  So, are you a wall builder or are you that person who wishes they were somebody else?

If you are that person, I have something to tell you.  Everybody is beautiful, and yes, we all have heard it before, but it’s true!  Maybe you aren’t drop dead gorgeous, but you have the best sense of humor!  Maybe you are a talented artist, singer, musician and that makes  you beautiful!  And maybe you aren’t any of those things, but you are something.  You are here for a reason and you need to accept that and know that something about you, and somebody out there, knows and thinks you are beautiful.  Now I know it is hard to think this about yourself, I myself have had trouble accepting how different I am and I still do  struggle, but everybody does.  They may not accept it, or show it, but they do , I promise.  Even wall builders do.  I bet you they feel worse about themselves than how you feel .  

Now onto wall builders. I am going to speak to everybody because at one point, we have all been a wall builder, even if it wasn’t on purpose.  We have grown up in a society where being different is weird or unnatural, but the reason why we are put on this Earth is to make a difference, and how would we do that, if we weren't individuals , special, unique, beautiful, and crazy in our own ways?  We don’t accept the fact that that kid has long hair and he is a guy, how weird is that?  Or that she doesn't like walking in circles around the field with the group of girls that only criticize everyone they see who is different.  That girl wants to go play football with the guys, and doesn't care if her hair gets messed up.  But that’s not what  we are all like, so she is weird.  What is wrong with us? Truly, what is wrong with us!  We are a society filled with humans, but there is no humanity to be seen!  We can’t look at people and just accept them, even though suicides happen every day, and we ourselves don’t like who we are!  But we just don’t accept that it’s okay… It’s okay to be different, weird, hyper, shy, whoever we are! It is ok...and can’t we just let everybody feel ok?

We sit there, day in and day out, with those evil, confidence chewing thoughts in the back of our heads, and yet….

we just can’t accept differences.


© 2014 Macy Brown


Author's Note

Macy Brown
I know this topic is talked about a lot but I figured might as well put my opinion out there.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yeah sometimes it is hard to accept the way we are, sometimes I have day's when I put myself down, but I need to remember that we are all different and special in our own way and we all have a purpose. We all need to treat people with respect, including ourselves.

Good Job

Posted 9 Years Ago


Macy Brown

9 Years Ago

Thank you(:
~*~Peace Keeper~*~

9 Years Ago

You're welcome

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
1 Review
Added on July 5, 2014
Last Updated on July 5, 2014

Author

Macy Brown
Macy Brown

Reno, NV



About
I am 13 years old, soon to be 14. I don't tend to have the patience to write long stories so I have adopted a liking of short stories. Sometimes I will just write to get my thoughts out of my head an.. more..

Writing
The Note The Note

A Story by Macy Brown